- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Oh Kevin how we've missed you, but why must you be a pain sometimes?

Julie found it difficult to formulate words as she stood across from Kevin. She wanted to reach out and bring his hand to her face, to feel the gentle touch she remembered when he left but something kept her from doing so. The gray was missing from his facial hair and only his smile brought the tiny wrinkles next to his eyes now, he was younger, he wouldn't know. She was sure she was grinning like a fool but she couldn't help it, he was standing right in front of her.

“Julie?” Kevin questioned, not looking at her the least bit like he did the last time she saw him, when he was fifteen years older than he would be now. “How?”

She shook her head, suddenly nervous standing there. She pushed her hair behind her ears and avoided his eyes. She felt that if she looked him in the eyes he would know something was wrong. She wasn't sure if she felt this way because earlier she'd admitted to herself that she felt like she loved Kevin, or if she was feeling guilty about being with Nick.

“How did you get here? How did you find this place?” He took her by the elbow and directed her inside The Library itself. She let her eyes adjust to the inside before taking note that the interior looked exactly the same thirty-three years from now.

She turned back to Kevin and put her arms around him, sighing in content when she felt him return the hug. His arms felt protective and admittedly it had a different feel from any feeling the older Kevin made her feel but she didn't care, he was here and she was wrapped in his arms.

“I didn't think I'd see you again,” She said after letting him go.

“How did you get to twenty twelve? Is this a jump? I don't believe we have any records of a displaced person actually jumping this close to the time of the accident.” His eyes lit up with the possibility of being the first volunteer to run into this situation.

“No, I've been injected and returned.”

Kevin frowned. “Then why do you know who I am? How did you know to come here?” He moved her to a chair and forced her to sit down. “You got someone to agree to your deal?” He mused, a smirk playing on his lips.

Julie raised her eyes brows and smirked in return. “I guess I just found someone easier to convince than you.”

Kevin shook his head and stood watching Julie. “Who brought you back?” He started to ask her but as she opened her mouth to tell him that she couldn't say, he answered his own question. “It was A.J wasn't it? He's always trying to impress the founders by returning displaced persons, even the ones that aren't his. Seems to think he'll be in charge some day. I never thought he'd snake one of my files though.” Kevin was pacing as he spoke, Julie simply watched with an amused look on her face.

“Well was it him?” Kevin asked facing her now.

“I promised I wouldn't tell,” she stood and moved towards a shelf of books. “Are you the only one here?” She asked him casually.

“I am,” he answered just as casually. “Speaking of here, how did you find this place?”

Julie shrugged and craned her neck towards the door to the backroom straining to see if anyone was back there. She thought she might have seen movement back there. She knew she saw Brian come into the building, he had to be there somewhere. “I followed someone,” she eyed Kevin letting him know that she knew someone else was there.

“Maybe you saw them enter a different building and got confused,” Kevin looked away from her seemingly nervous.

Julie had to figure out a way to get away from Kevin and search the place. She needed to find Brian, she needed to know what he was up to and, come to think of it, why was Kevin obviously covering up for him?

“Is there anything I can do for you? Do you need help adjusting back to your life?” Kevin asked taking her hand and directing her to sit again, he took a seat next to her and held her eye contact.

Julie shook her head. Where was this offer of help before she broke it off with Jeff and slept with Nick? She thought it best not to bring up Nick's name. What if Brian was nearby and heard her talking about him, would he get suspicious? Was Kevin hiding him? Was Kevin working with him? Kevin didn't seem like the type to try to do something that wasn't right, he didn't seem like a rule breaker. Perhaps that was part of the plot, to appear like a rule follower and all the while breaking the rules. Julie's head was beginning to hurt thinking about it.

Still thinking it best to keep Nick's name out of it, Julie decided to ask Kevin about Brian. “Kevin I know I saw a man run in here. I spoke with this man just this morning and,” she paused hating to lie but feeling it necessary, “well I found him attractive so I followed him. This is where he ended up. I did not get the wrong building.”

Kevin sighed, Julie was sure he knew it was pointless to argue with her. He already knew she was stubborn after attempting to get her first jump information out of her and failing, twice.

“He works with me,” Kevin finally admitted.

“Works with you how?” She asked. She needed him to give her more information, she needed to know who it was her heart had fallen for and she hoped that he wasn't on the wrong side of the volunteers. She would be devastated if that was the case, she already set her heart on him, but if he was part of the rogue volunteers she didn't know what she would do.

She stopped herself from her current stream of thinking, she wasn't being fair to Nick. She had, after all, slept with him. She had already started something with him, it wasn't fair to him to keep her mind lingering on Kevin.

Kevin sighed and looked off into the expanse of the library, “He's my cousin, and another volunteer.” Kevin finally offered up. “That really is all I can tell you though,” He took her hand and helped her stand, pulling her to the door.

“You should probably go,” Kevin told her as he opened the door. “I have things I need to...” He stopped mid sentence and looked outside. Julie's eyes followed his, he was staring at something across the street, but she could only see a couple walking hand in hand, a man walking a dog and a woman jogging.

She rolled her eyes, 'Just like a man, can't help but stare at a woman jogging.' She thought to herself. She turned back to look at Kevin, his eyes squinting trying to get a better look. She coughed and he turned his attention back to her.

“Sorry I thought I saw...” Again he did not finish his statement. They stood looking at each other in the doorway neither one making any movement in either direction.

Julie decided it was now or never to ask the question that she wanted to ask the minute she saw him again. “Would you have dinner with me?”

Seconds after the words left her lips she knew it was a mistake to ask. Kevin's forehead creased as he looked at her confused. “Julie, I was your case worker. You are home, you need to get back into your own life. I have work to do for the Project anyway.” He answered her and moved back inside, closing the door behind him. She heard the door click firmly indicating the lock was secure.

She watched the door for only a few seconds more, her eyes catching on the plate next to the door, her mind toying with the idea of trying it again. She shook her head, the door had only opened because Kevin had opened it. She turned away and moved back down the stairs, across the street and into her car.

As she turned her car towards home, her mind was trying to sort out all the information she'd received in the last couple of days. Nick was looking for a rogue volunteer, someone who was out to change the direction of the Project. In what way he hadn't said but if they changed the course of the Project then they would change the course of history, that couldn't be good for anyone.

By the time she arrived home her brain was hurting from all the thinking she'd been doing. She made her way to the bathroom and found some Tylenol. She popped a couple tablets into her mouth and gulped some water to help them down.

“If they are cousins and Brian is on the wrong side...” Julie didn't want to think about it anymore. She didn't want to think about Kevin being on the wrong side. She didn't want to think she could love someone who would try to do wrong.

She lay back in her chair letting the Tylenol start to work. Her eyes started to close, drifting into sleep hoping that her mind would not dwell on Kevin or Nick.