- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

How is Julie going to detour him? Will she change history in order to "play along"?

Julie's heart skipped a beat after hearing what Nick was requesting she help with. Keeping those men from joining the project could ultimately change the course of events and where would she be if Kevin didn't come after her? Would another volunteer succeed in obtaining her first jump information? Would she never be found and continue jumping until eventually one of the jumps killed her?

Her mind raced trying to think of a way to get Nick away from this idea but her mind was blank, nothing was coming to her.

“Ready?” He asked taking hold of her wrist, his grip was slightly tighter than Julie thought necessary.

She had no reason why she shouldn't go and she couldn't think of a way out of it so she had to continue to play along. “Sure,” she did her best to smile like nothing was wrong. She set her dial to the date and place Nick showed her already on his and thought about seeing Kevin the day he joined the project. Holding her breath, she pushed the travel button and felt heat spread throughout her body, a slight queasiness coming over her when they jump was complete.

She looked around trying to adjust her eyes to the area, ready to bolt into hiding. It was an instinct left over from the days when she had no control over jumping, or at least thought she had no control over jumping. She relaxed slightly when she saw Nick standing a few feet away from her. They were standing down the street from the warehouse, the alley they were in reminded Julie of the alleys in crime shows where the body would be found at the beginning of the show.

She was anxious to get moving but Nick was standing still, his eyes focused on the building down the way. “That's it,” he pointed to the warehouse. “That is where volunteers were asked to come to.”

“Did you have any idea what it was you were volunteering for? How did they advertise the need for volunteers?” Julie was suddenly curious. How did the project recruit people to jump through time and search for missing persons?

Nick shrugged. “I don't know how Kevin and Brian got recruited but Dr., well Charles, was one of my professors. We would get into discussions about time travel and the possibility or impossibility of it. One day he asked me if I wanted to see time travel work. I was curious and I wanted to believe time travel could be possible. I came with him, here, and well, as soon as he showed me that it worked I wanted to be part of the project in any way possible. I worked in The Library for two years researching, looking for possible displaced persons and then finally in twenty twenty-nine I was asked if I wanted to work on my own case files, I had proven myself.” Nick turned to look at her and smiled briefly before turning to look back at the building.

“There,” he tapped her shoulder and pointed to the car pulling up. They watched as a middle aged woman stepped out of the car followed by Brian and soon after Kevin. “I still remember the day they arrived. I'd only been assisting Charles for a couple of weeks. Brian and I hit it off right away, fast friends. Kevin, he acted like an older brother to me from the beginning.” Julie noticed the hint of sadness in his tone as he talked. “For them to betray me the way they did...” Nick shook his head staring straight ahead.

“Nick, if we stop these two from joining, how will that affect you?” Julie asked, the sadness he had in his voice had her getting closer to him, wrapping her arms around his shoulders.

She could see his eyes glossy with tears but his face showed a fierce determination, almost as if he was willing them not to fall. Julie hated to admit to herself but she liked seeing the vulnerability in Nick.

“Brian helped train me and Kevin helped convince Howie and Charles to let me start taking on missions.” His head was bowed.

“I can't do this,” he mumbled. “If they are not there, I have guarantee that I will get to search for displaced persons. It won't be for sure that...” he shook his head and leaned against the wall, slowly sliding down the wall until he was sitting on the pavement.

“What you must think of me,” Nick muttered.

Julie actually liked this Nick more. There was a strange attraction to him before, but now she was starting to see the sensitive side and she liked it. It also left her wondering even more what had happened to lead him down the path to being a rogue volunteer. 'We thought it was over, and it probably would have been too, if I hadn't done what I did.' She remembered Kevin saying, now she desperately wanted to know what it was, but who could she ask?

“We should go before we are spotted,” Nick dialed her device and hit her button before she could protest. After her vision cleared she realized she was back in her apartment, only a couple of hours had passed. Nick was nowhere to be found. She waited a couple of minutes for him to show up and when he didn't, she decided to get something to eat. She'd been lucky that Nick grew a conscience before he tried to stop Brian and Kevin from becoming volunteers.

“Did you make one for me?” Nick's voice came from behind. She had gotten so used to his style of entrance that she didn't even jump this time. She put the top slice of bread down on both sandwiches and handed one to Nick.

“Were you expecting company,” he smirked.

“Only you,” She smiled back.

“Tell me more about what you know about Brian and his plans,” Julie wiped his mouth and took a drink waiting for an answer. Maybe he would slip and give her some information she could give to Kevin; she had her first check in that night and thought how wonderful it would be if she could give him something and then she could be released from this assignment.

“We don't know much, just an idea of what he is wanting to accomplish. He's always wanted to do the right thing and he believes that he can change history to reflect what he thinks is right.” Nick shrugged.

“What kinds of things?” Julie asked.

“I know if I was trying to change history I might stop Hitler from starting the holocaust, maybe keep Martin Luther King Jr. from being assassinated. Brian could be wanting to do something like that, he used to talk about how wrong those events were and you could tell he wished he could change them.” Nick watched his hands as he talked; he hadn't even touched his sandwich.

“What made him go rogue?” Maybe the story he gave her for why Brian split off would actually be his story, she hated missing pieces to the puzzle and recently she always felt like she was missing pieces.

Nick stared out the window above the sink seemingly lost in thought. Eventually he answered, “What makes anyone disregard the rules to do what they think is right?”

Nick stood, leaned over and gave Julie a kiss before leaving. No explanation for where he was going, no time frame for his return. Julie did see the extreme sadness in his eyes before he left though. For the first time, her heart broke for Nick and she didn't even know why.

Chapter End Notes:

My shortest chapter, but sometimes a chapter just ends itself and any more would "ruin" it.