- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Julie needs to be more careful...

After several hours of Nick not reappearing at her apartment she decided to get ready for her appointment to meet with Kevin was drawing closer. They weren't sure how well their current arrangement would work, but Kevin needed further clearance to set up any other forms of communication. They were meeting at a McDonald's location this time around dinner. They concluded it would look the least suspicious and there would be plenty of people around.

Still surprised that her car had not been towed, Julie pulled into the parking lot and took a deep breath, inhaling the smell of French fries. The last time she had fries was the night she met Kevin for the first time. She entered and not seeing Kevin, stood in line to order something to eat. Nothing particularly looked that appetizing so she ordered some fries and a milkshake and proceeded to find a seat where she could watch the entrance.

Several minutes later she saw Kevin enter and look around. When his eyes fell on her, he smiled and made his way over to where she sat. He slid into the booth and looked at her expectantly.

“What did you find out?” he asked. She noticed his hand was on the table dangerously close to touching her own hand. It wouldn't take much of a movement for her to move her hand, to feel his touch.

“Nothing much, he mentioned changing history. We went back to the day you joined the volunteers in an attempt to stop you and Brian from joining but he couldn't go through with it. Said you were like an older brother and Brian was a good friend.” Julie glanced at her food and wanted to move it out of the way so she could grab hold of both of his hands as they sat there.

Kevin nodded his face blank. “We were all pretty close, Nick, Brian, AJ, Howie and myself. All of the other volunteers were sure that at least one of us would be left in charge the other four would have top positions when Charles and Jessica left.”

“How do you know it still won't happen, for you other four?” Julie asked, her finger slightly closer to touching Kevin's hand.

“I doubt it will. Brian was taken off of searching for displaced persons and put on his 'babysitting' mission for unintentionally helping Nick. AJ was demoted, when he was told of Nick's defection, he actually punched Charles. Howie and I remained relatively unscathed by his betrayal but just being friends with him left a mark on our records.” For the first time his eyes looked straight into hers. “I shouldn't be telling you this.”

“No, it's good that you did. I hate being a part of something and knowing absolutely nothing about it.” She smiled but he did not return it.

“You are not part of this. Once you give us enough information that we can go after Nick, you are going to return home and forget all about this and what you've done.” His face was stern but Julie could see a hint of concern in his eyes.

Julie could feel her temper flaring, why did he always do this to her? “I am a big girl Kevin and I think I can figure out what I want to do with my life on my own after this is over. And you better believe I will see this to the end, I refuse to be used and tossed aside.” She crossed her arms and sat back, her anger overcoming her desire to have the slightest bit of physical contract with the man sitting across from her.

Julie could see Kevin holding back his temper with her. They sat for a few minutes staring each other down, until Kevin's face relaxed, giving in. “I will see what I can do,” was all he said. “You should get home.”

Julie leaned forward and placed her hand back on the table, her pinky finger slightly bumping his hand. His reaction came as a shock, his hand instantly enclosed hers, his thumb running back and forth across the back of the hand. She watched his thumb for a few seconds and then looked up at his face. He stopped almost immediately and just held her hand. “Time to go,” he said helping her to her feet still holding her hand.

“Come back with me,” she whispered as they stood outside the door.

“I can't, what if Nick is there waiting for you?”

With their hands still entwined, Julie placed her free hand on his chest and looked up into his eyes. “Please,” she pleaded.

She could see the indecision in his face. “I'll make sure you get home safely, then I need to check on Charles. The agent I have watching him, Erika, says that he is driving her crazy.” He answered letting go of her hand and moving to her vehicle.

“Where is your car?” She asked as he stood waiting to be let into hers.

Kevin cocked his head to the side and looked at her like she just asked if the sky was blue. “Julie, I'm a time traveler, how would I get a car?”

“Oh,” she responded as she unlocked the car and got inside. She hesitated as Kevin slid in next to her. She sat staring at the wheel. She turned the ignition on and slowly started to back up and head back towards her apartment. She knew she should ask him more about Nick and why he turned rogue, but he was with her and she didn't want to upset him again and risk him bolting at the first chance he got. Instead, they rode in silence.

They sat in the car outside her apartment, neither one moving to exit the car. “Kevin,” Julie finally spoke. “There is so much I want to ask, so much I want to know.” She was turned towards him in the car, he was still sitting forward probably watching the apartment for any sign of Nick.

Kevin nodded his head but didn't acknowledge her statement. “You are home, I should probably get going.” Now he turned to face her, extending his hand to brush a strand of hair behind her ear. “Be safe,” he smiled taking one of her hands in his and bringing it to his lips. The heat from his lips caressing her hand shot a shudder through her complete with her stomach jumping into her chest. And then, just like that, he turned and exited the car.

Julie sighed and continued to sit in the car, her hands resting on the wheel. Julie watched her apartment from her car wishing she could turn the car back on, drive to Kevin, pick him up and drive away. Let someone else deal with this Nick mess. She had to squint her eyes in the sunlight but she swore she saw movement in the front window. 'Shit,' she thought to herself. 'Did Nick just see Kevin get out of my car?'

She flew out of her car and into her apartment. Nick was sitting on the couch watching television. “Where were you?” he questioned, not bothering to take his eyes off the television.

“I went to get food.” She held her keys in case she needed to turn around and leave quickly, but she moved closer and took a seat in an attempt to make it appear that she hadn't done anything wrong.

Nick's eyes stayed focused on the television. “Was anyone with you?” He turned to look at her briefly, his eyes said it all. He had seen them together and was now demanding answers. She had to think quickly.

“Nick, I know how it looks, but I was approached by Kevin. He was asking for my help, he wanted me to join them.” She shoved her keys in her pocket and moved closer to Nick, sitting on his lap. “I figured if they thought I joined with them, I could get some valuable information to relay back to you.” She started to entwine her fingers through his hair. She felt him begin to relax slightly and his hands found her breasts massaging them a little harder than he'd done before.

“I acted rashly and without discussing it with you first, but I didn't know they would approach me and I took the opportunity to be a double agent.” She smiled sweetly at him and hoped he couldn't read how panicked she really was. He turned his head towards her and she leaned down kissing his mouth.

'Please let him believe me,' she begged an unknown force as Nick's kisses intensified.

As if he heard her, Nick answered. “I want to believe you, I really do, but you will have to do something to prove yourself.”

Julie held her breath as he held her gaze. She hoped it was something that she could easily do without betraying herself or without giving herself to him again.

“Don't worry; it won't be complicated for you.” He stood, knocking her to the floor. He held out his hand to help her up. “I have a destination you need to take me to so we can clear this all up.”