- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

they arrive at their destination

Julie drove cautiously and slowly as Nick gave her directions, it didn't take her long to realize they were heading towards The Library, but she continued to play dumb and not lead on that she knew where The Library was. When they pulled up in front of the diner across the street from The Library, Julie broke her silence.

“Are you taking me out for pie?” She asked, her hands still clutching the steering wheel.

“No, I brought you to the building across the way.” She turned in the direction he was pointing. Sure enough, he was indicating The Library.

“What is that place?” She asked, releasing the steering wheel before her knuckles started to turn white from clenching.

Nick looked at Julie then back at the building. “It's the current headquarters for the volunteers.”

“You mean the rogue volunteers actually have a hideout that you are aware of? Why don't you just raid the place?” She asked hoping she sounded convincing that he would take her comments as her believing him and being on his side. Her questions fell on deaf ears; Nick was already exiting the car and going around to her side to open it. He gave her his hand to help her out, keeping hold of it as she shut the door.

“It's it dangerous for you here?” She asked as Nick started to drag her across the street. “What will happen if the rogue volunteers get a hold of you?”

“I have insurance,” He smirked and stood at the base of the steps.

Standing at the base, Julie looked towards the doors. What were they doing here exactly? Her palms were sweating and she didn't care if Nick felt the sweat on his own hand, she wanted to be released so that she could go home. Desperately she wanted to be in her bed, under the warmth of her comforter. She would even accept being her naïve twenty-two year old self again if it only meant she would be free of this situation. They stood there for only a minute or two, there was movement by the door, but notbody came out.

“I know you are there Kevin.” Nick shouted.

“What are you doing here?” His voice came out of the door, it was opened slightly but Kevin did not emerge. “Why did you bring her?” it was a question, but his voice made it sound more like a demand for answers.

Nick's grip on Julie's hand got tighter as he pulled her in front of him. He managed to maneuver it so that her free arm was locked between them and the wrist with the device was on the arm he was holding tightly to.

“What are you doing Nick,” she whispered.

“Just a test, relax.”

Julie could hardly relax, especially after he told her to. She was worried about what he was trying to do. Why was he holding her the way he was? Why did he make it a point to grip her arm with the device so tightly? Had he figured it out, that she was really working with Kevin?

Kevin's face now appeared in the doorway, followed by the rest of his body. He stood in the door frame and looked down on the scene below.

“I should come down there and take you into custody now.” Kevin threatened. Julie wondered why he wasn't. Why didn't he just come and get Nick and take him away, then she could be free.

“You know very well that if you come closer I will send this girl off into time, you would never see her again. You know I'd do it too, I've already done it once.” Julie started to panic. Her fear was now evident and she could not longer play it cool, she fought against Nick's grip, struggling to get get free.

“What do you want for her release?” Kevin shouted down.

Julie thrashed around more. Why was everyone on the street ignoring what was going on? A female was in obvious danger and nobody was even stopping to look their way. It was really time to move away from LA.

Nick laughed. “You know very well I can't get back what I really want. Instead I will take you, stranded in time. Then I will leave Julie in peace. I won't even come around and see her anymore.” Julie could feel his tongue lick her jaw line. “Shame too, she's a decent fuck.”

“Nick!” she heard Kevin yell, the anger apparent on his face.

Nick leaned in close to Julie's ear and spoke in a softer tone. “He doesn't like me mentioning we've fucked.” He laughed and turned back to Kevin. “So what's it going to be? Julie lost in time, or you?”

The few seconds that Kevin took to answer, seemed like a lifetime to Julie. “Let her go and I will go with you.” His face looked defeated as he answered. Julie's heart beat so fast, too fast. She knew that Nick had to be feeling her heart as he continued to hold her despite Kevin's agreement. Kevin couldn't be lost in time, she couldn't imagine her life with Kevin gone forever and every possibility that Nick would not keep his promise and he would continue to haunt her everywhere she went.

“Oh you don't know how happy that makes me to hear you say that. That you of all people would sacrifice yourself for one of your cases. How does it feel to be breaking a rule?” Julie looked up at Kevin as his face was still as stone, no emotion evident.

“You said you'd release her,” Kevin shouted back. “Release her and I will come with you.”

“You come down and then I will release her.” Nick laughed. Julie was starting to wonder if Nick was all there upstairs. He was sounding deranged.

“Kevin, no.” She screamed out to him but everything seemed to be happening in slow motion. She watched as Kevin started to walk away from the door and down the stairs towards them.

“Like I wouldn't want you to feel exactly what I feel every day of my life.” Julie watched in horror as Nick started to turn dials on her device. Kevin saw it too and started to run down the stairs.

“No!” she heard him scream out as Nick pushed the button her device. She felt him travel with her and when they arrived it only took him seconds to rip the device off of her arm and push her away.

“You left me no choice. Since I can't have your first jump, this will have to do.” Nick snarled at her before pushing his own button his device, whisking him away from her.

It took several minutes for her eyes to adust to the dark, but her nose adjusted much quicker. She could smell humans kept in close quarters using nothing but the hard ground for a bathroom mixed in with the smell of hay and body odor. She retched adding her own stink to the mixture. When her eyes adjusted, she was in a dark cell. There were no bodies directly near her but she could hear rustling in the corner of the cell.

“Shit,” she cursed aloud wondering what hell hole Nick brought her to.

“Who's there?” another voice came back at her. The tone and accent sounded more modern to Julie. She heard rustling and movement out of the back corner covered in shadows. A face peaked out, it looked different then the last time she saw it, and even though it was dark, she recognized the face.

“AJ?” She asked moving closer. She noticed he was wearing a tunic and his facial hair had been shaved off. The tattoos on his arms looked strange with him dressed so plainly.

“Do I know you?” He asked looking her up and down.

“It's me Julie,” She said as she chanced sitting down next to him, she'd been in dirtier places.

AJ only shook his head and stared at her blankly.

“How long have you been here?” She asked him, he didn't look too run down.

“Maybe a few hours? But who knows how long it's been for others.” He asked uncertain of himself. “I know someone came in here, speaking something that was definitely not English. They pushed me around, washed me up, changed my clothes, fingered my tattoos. They seemed confused by me, but I couldn't understand them.” She watched his shoulders hunch over. “Are you here to get me outta here?”

Julie showed her wrist where Nick yanked the device off her arm. “Unfortunately, no.” A noise outside the cell caused both the prisoners to jump. When nobody entered they both let out a sigh of relief.

“Did Nick bring you here too?” AJ asked her. She nodded in response, trying to keep the noise down in case someone was passing by. There was a chance nobody knew she was there and she'd like to keep it that way for now.

“You have no idea where we are?” Julie asked. Sure he'd been in the cell most of the time but he was out for a brief amount of time and she thought a volunteer would take in as much information as they could.

“There are several cells full of people, I saw several wreaths lying on a table in the room they cleaned me up in.” AJ answered as if he gave her all the information she could need.

“What does that have to do with anything?” She asked. Why would door decorations give her an indication of what time period she was in?

Before he could answer, the door to their cell slammed open and two men came in throwing words around that Julie couldn't understand. AJ stood up and threw himself in front of her attempting to block her presence in the cell. It was a galant try, but the men were no fools. They easily found her and started dragging her towards the entrance. She threw herself backwards trying to avoid being taken away by these men. She had no idea what they were capable of or what they intended to do with her.

She soon found herself in another room, a large wooden tub of dirty water in the middle. A wooden chair, a tunic and wooden sandals. The table with the wreaths that AJ mentioned was also in the room. The men pointed to the water and clothing and barked something at her. She had no idea what they were saying but from their gestures it appeared she was to bathe and change. She moved closer to the center of the room and looked around. The two men stood inside the door facing her. Privacy was out.

She knew from many past experiences that it was better to do what men wearing swords in their belts requested or ordered her to do. The style of clothing jogged a memory in Julie's mind and she instantly knew where she was and what was going to happen to her and AJ.

She could feel the men's eyes on her as she stripped down and sat in the tub. She cringed at the thought of who else or what else had been in that water before her. Once she splashed around to make it appear that she bathed she climbed out and quickly threw the tunic on. She quickly pulled on her underwear and hoped the men would let her keep those at least. As soon as the sandals were slipped on her feet, she felt the men's hands on her arms again pulling her back towards the cell. Thankfully she was thrown into the same cell she had previously occupied with AJ.

Once the men relocked the cell and moved away, Julie moved to the shadows and found AJ. “Slaves,” she whispered. “We are going to be sold as slaves.”

Chapter End Notes:

I decided to update even though I'm not done with the 3rd chapter ahead only because I should complete that chapter soon.  Thought I'd be nice and update. :)