- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Julie adapts, AJ not so much and they prepare for a party

“Placeo quad libet,” Julie murmured to the lady of the house as she went to retrieve the blue, silk stola that was requested of her. It had been almost two weeks since Nick dropped Julie off and left her to be sold as a slave. She spent her days and most of the evening waiting on her Domina and in the few hours of sleep she received at night, she tried to think of any way to get a message to Kevin from ancient Rome.

AJ caught up with her as she moved into the room where the silk stola was laying out. “What the fuck did you just say?” Working in the atrium was not kind to AJ. Blisters covered his hands, his skin was red for the entire first week and he had many scratches up and down his arms and legs from the branches of the trees and bushes.

Julie did not turn to acknowledge him. Through a series of faces, hand gestures and angry words, Julie understood that she should not fraternize with the male slaves. She tried to only speak to AJ at night when no on else was around. “It means 'as you wish'.” she answered grabbing the stola and carefully holding it as she started to proceed back to her Domina.

“Have you thought of anything yet?” AJ hissed at her. “Or are you too busy adapting to their ways?”

Julie stopped and turned to face him. “Have you thought of anything?” she shoulted back. When she saw curious eyes stopping to look at them, she turned away and quickly made her way back to the room to help her Domina get dressed.

Julie procceed to help the woman remove her daily stola and slip on the new one. The woman chatted excitedly probably forgetting her slave didn't understand everything she was saying. From what Julie could pick up from her it seemed that they were hosting a banquet that night with some special guests. Julie heard Caesar thrown around and wondered if the emperor himself would actually be showing up. If so, it was definitely a grand occasion.

She bowed her head as her Domina spoke to her dismissing her to change her own tunic into the one for special occasions. She slipped the clean cotton over her head and fixed her hair into the style she knew she should adorn for the evening. When she was finished she went back to the lady of the house's chambers to await further orders.

She followed the woman into the vestibule as guests for the evening started to arrive. Julie's Domina turned to her and said something to her; Julie only looked at her blankly. The woman then indicated another slave washing the feet of the arriving guests. Julie took this as her cue to join in. she knelt on the floor and took a foot into her lap cleaning it and its partner in turn.

Another set of feet came towards her and she repeated the process. When she finished that set another pair came and stood in front of her. She took the first foot and started to wash it, noticing the color of the skin was lighter than the others had been.

“How are you enjoying your new life?” The all too familiar voice of Nick asked.

Julie's eyes shot up and stared at the man above her, a girn playing on his lips. He removed the first foot and gave her the second. She noticed he was dressed in the same manner of all the men that had arrived for the banquet.

“Don't look so surprised, I am a very popular person. I have many friends throughout the ages. This man, Marcus, did you know he owns several farms outside the city? Well I suppose not, you will have been busy here, slaving away.” Nick laughed at his own joke. “I did him a little favor and shared some beneficial information. In return, he agreed to house my enemies, as slaves of course. Win, win I'd say.”

“Why not just drop us off here, why put us through the auction.” She asked.

Nick laughed and pointed to his foot. “Can you please get that dust off? What fun would it be without the horror of not knowing what kind of master would buy you, fear is powerful Julie.” He crouched down in front of her, she desperately wanted to hit him but she didn't know how it would go over, Nick could leave and she was stuck here.

The thought of Nick leaving spurred Julie to glance at his wrist searching for the device.

“Do you think I'd be so stupid Julie?” He asked when he noticed what she was looking at. He sighed and turned her face towards his. “I hate to see you here, I really do. You are a pawn in a much larger game than you realize. I can still end this for you.”

“How?” She asked not sure she wanted to hear his answer.

“Tell me your first jump. This can all go away, not even a memory.” He smiled at her and moved closer to her lips. Julie flinched and pulled back afraid he was going to kiss her.

“What benefit is that to you? Why can't you just let me be in my own time? It's not like I can do anything to you or stop you, I'm not a volunteer.” Her glare was icy and she was aware that most of the party had moved towards the banquet hall at the back of the house.

Nick shrugged and stood up. “Like I said Julie, you are a pawn, a playing piece in a much larger game.” He turned to walk away. “Think about it will you?” He was halfway to the banquet hall before Julie stood and noticed he stopped and turned around. “Oh, and before I forget. I requested you to be my personal slave tonight.”

A look of horror crossed over Julie's face afraid of what he intended for her. She looked around searching for AJ but he was no where to be seen. She wondered what he might do if he saw Nick here.

The head of the slaves came running towards her yelling at her, she still couldn't understand anything this man was saying. He was flailing his arms, his face beet red. He motioned for her to follow and he took off quickly.

Julie had now found AJ. She was taken to the room where he was lying, blood coming from his nose, his knuckles, his lip and his arms. One of his eyes was already beginning to swell.

“What happened?” She asked flying to his side and taking the wet linen that was brought and clearning his wounds.

“Carter is here.” He grimaced. “Saw the bastard come in and talk to you. I started to fly at him, I was going to tear him a new one but unfortunately another man was faster and he knocked me around.”

Julie cleaned off some of the wounds, she could feel AJ tense as she washed around his eye. “What did he say to you?” He turned his good eye towards her.

“He told me that he could end my surffering and I could leave if I told him my first jump.” She shrugged and gently patted the cut next to his eye.

“Are you going to take it?”

Julie stopped and looked at him. “No.” She stated plainly. “I won't leave you here.”

AJ did his best to smile at her. “I have an idea on how to get the other volunteer's attention.” He tried to sit up in order to tell her but he was unable to and lay back down.

“How?” She asked masking her intense curiosity and excitement.

“When you get back, just promise me that you will remember me fondly.” He chuckled and lay back down on the pallet.

“What do you mean when I get back, we are going together.” She brushed AJ's hair back to sooth him.

AJ did his best to shake his head. “No, not after tonight.” His laugh was cut short when he coughed, a bit more blood coming from his mouth. “I did get a few punches in on the brute that did this to me. I'm sure it will be off to the Colosseum for me. But that's my plan, I will be written in the books and I know how to get Howie's attention.” He reached over and squeezed Julie's arm.

“This can't be the way, I met you, after this was over.” She said, she could feel the tears welling in her eyes.

AJ shrugged. “It'll work.” It was the last words he said to her before his head laid back down and his eyes closed. Julie watched his even breathing just to make sure he was alive before she made her appearance in the entrance hall. Nick watched her come in and tipped his goblet towards her before taking a drink.

She thought of AJ lying in the other room bleeding and willing to sacrifice himself so she could get rescued. She thought of Howie's eyes when AJ's name came up in brief conversation. Almost as if lightening struck her she realized exactly who Kevin was referring to when he told her to 'help him.' It was obvious now that AJ needed help, AJ needed to be rescued. With a new determination to get herself and AJ out of ancient Rome, Julie picked up the pitcher of wine and poured Nick another glass full.

Chapter End Notes:

I apologize for any confusion caused by the latin/roman terms I have thrown into this chapter.