- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Who is that man in the bushes?

The pungent smell of the ocean inches away from her nose could not bring Julie out of her self imposed stupor. She would have remained in that spot, unconscious to the world if the tide had not been coming in. The nose full of salt water brought her back into the moment, now fully aware of her surroundings. Immediately, her eyes flew to the crags of rocks close by. She managed to find an open area between the uneven rocks that was free of water and sat back down. Hugging her knees tight to her chest she could not help but dwell on the on the moments passed. A fellow time traveler, someone sent to find her and help her to get back where she belonged, and now she was lost in time again.

She sat in her world of regret until the sun crept further below the horizon. Her bones ached with exhaustion, and from being recently sick. It was dark when she jumped away from the other time traveler and now night was falling again. She needed rest but she did not want to sleep through the night on the beach no mater how romantic she thought it was in her youth, it was too open and left her vulnerable.

Cautiously, Julie popped her head above the rocks and peeked for any other humans. The beach was still empty. Every beach she could think of would be crawling with tourists, beach bunnies and men wearing swimwear entirely too small for their bodies. To see an empty beach gave Julie a thrill that she would have enjoyed more if her mind did not scream for sleep.

She eyed lush vegetation nearby and smiled with relief. This held the most possibility for coverage; she could only hope that she stayed long enough to get a full night's sleep. Pushing through low branches, trying her best to avoid too many scratches, the first smile in months crossed her face as she found a small pavilion. As she settle down to sleep, she was, at least, thankful that she jumped to a warm spot. Even though the pavilion's wood floor was hard, as soon as her eyes closed, Julie was asleep.

Unavoidable daylight streaming through the trees woke Julie. Voices on the beach nearby forced her to full alertness. She scrambled into an area heavy with plants and watched as the voices got closer to where she was, they moved towards the pavilion unaware of their silent spectator. She watched as many more people came streaming through setting setting up what looked like film equipment. The bustle of the workers entertained her and she relaxed. She was obviously not in a time period she would be tried as a witch nor was she in an area only inhabited by Amazonian cannibals. She was so engrossed in watching that she was oblivious to the man sneaking up from behind.

“Trying to avoid work?” a familiar drawl asked.

Julie could not place the voice, but she knew it was familiar. Having been caught she was hoping if she ignored the man then he would go away and leave her alone. She longed for night and the deep shadows it brought. Though she knew she would not be put to death as a witch, she did not want to deal with explaining who she was and where she came from.

“Hey Edith,” the man called. “I think I found your missing assistant.”

A woman wearing a brown wool, plaid skirt, a white blouse and a jacket flung over her shoulders to match her skirt and black heeled shoes sashayed up to her the best she could walking with sand underfoot. “Well now Mr. Presley, she must be the new one the agency sent over. I don't recognize her face.” She glanced over the top of her sunglasses at Julie. C'mon sweetheart I'll show you where you will be working.” Julie stood, unable to grasp what she just heard. Slowly she turned around and came face to face with Elvis Presley. Her mouth gaped open. She may not have been a big fan of the King of Rock, but she found it hard not to be in awe standing in his presence.

She wasn't given much time to gawk before she was drug away to the costume area and put to work making sure all the actors and actresses had the right outfits and accessories. Julie managed to borrow one of the outfits that was not going to be used in the movie to fit in around the set. She worked hard, but it was worth it. She was fed and nobody questioned her, mostly just demanded things from her.

When filming stopped for the evening Julie began to wonder if she was going to have to hang around until everyone was gone and sneak back to the pavilion. By the time she was done hanging all the clothes and moving them to their correct areas it was late and she was exhausted. A few other assistants were still hanging around cleaning up too.

“You about finished?” a male voice from behind asked startling her.

Julie turned in the direction of the voice, “I just finished.”

“Me and the other guys are going to head back to the rooms, we wanted to know if you wanted to walk back with us. Unless, of course, you want to walk back on your own.” He stood smiling, waiting for her to answer him. She hadn't thought that there might be rooms the assistants slept in, she nodded her head eagerly. Sleeping in a bed would be heaven for her.

“I am ready to go when you are.” She said grabbing her bundle of clothes she changed out of and walking to match his stride. It wasn't long before they were in a slightly run down hotel. She could see others who worked on the crew sitting around smoking after a hard day of work. “Where will I sleep?” She asked.

The guy she was following smiled at her and took her to a room door. Julie was scared for a brief moment that this guy was taking her back to his room. “Why do you look so frightened?” He knocked on the door and it was opened shortly by another female Julie had seen running around on the set.

“Yah?” She asked.

“I brought the new girl. Figured you could show her the rest.” He turned to Julie and held out his hand. “It was nice to meet you...?” He waited for her to reply.

She toyed with giving a fake name, but now that she knew people were looking for her she wanted her real name put out there. “Julie,” She responded taking his hand. “And you are?”

“Tommy.”

“Thank you Tommy.” Julie shook his hand and turned towards the other girl.

“My name is Cynthia, welcome.” the other girl said in a tone that sounded none to happy to have another person join her bunk. Julie followed her inside to find three other girls sitting around on the various beds. As soon as the other girls introduced themselves to her, Julie stood around looking for a place to crash. She didn't want to seem rude, but she was tired and wanted desperately to get some sleep.

“So where can I sleep?” She asked.

“You are sharing the bed with Meg.” Cynthia pointed to the quiet girl sitting on a double bed alone. When she heard her name, she looked up and smiled quickly before dropping her head back down looking at her fingers.

“Okay. Hi Meg.” Julie sat down and pulled the covers over her, scooting further down on the bed so that she could get some sleep. She felt Meg lay down next to her but soon did not hear anything else until the morning when Cynthia started shouting for everyone to wake up.

For the next two months, Julie's days mirrored her first, minus Elvis sneaking up on her from behind. She worked all day into the evening, went back to her room and fell exhausted into the bed she shared with Meg. This was the longest she could remember ever having been in one place. Perhaps, whatever it was that was making her jump, ran out of juice or fixed itself. Maybe she would be stuck in this time for good. With the thought of being anywhere for ever, Julie's mind found its way back to thinking about Kevin and if he would be able to find her now.

Despite being displaced in time, she was really starting to enjoy the work, and Edith, though a workhorse, was amusing to work with. “Julie, darling, would you mind grabbing me something to eat. Make sure you get something for yourself as well.” Julie nodded and found her way to Kraft Services to pick up two sandwiches.

“Hello Tommy,” Julie called out as she saw taking a break, eating his lunch, a copy of Nineteen Eight-Four in his hands. She glanced at the book in his hands, she smiled to herself, she couldn't help it, she would be born six years after that book would have taken place, yet here she was twenty-four years before that date. All the way back to the wardrobe area Julie thought about growing up and what she liked to do. Her mind tugged at something like it wanted her to remember something but she couldn't put her finger on it.

“You look a million miles away.” Edith told her as she took her sandwich out of Julie's hands. “You thinking about that Tommy boy? I've seen the way he looks at you.” Edith smiled knowingly at Julie before going back to pinning an outfit on one of the girls for the next scene.

Julie shrugged off her comment. Tommy had even asked her to have dinner with him once they were finished filming. She liked Tommy, thought he was good looking, but, even though she'd been around for almost a complete two months she still feared jumping. She'd given up hope of seeing Jeff, her boyfriend again, but she did not need to leave broken hearts behind while she tried to get back to the future.

“Back to the future!” she exclaimed to herself. That is what her mind was trying desperately for her to remember. She watched the movies growing up and remembered the first one came out right around 1984. She recently watched the movies during one a marathon she and her boyfriend had shortly before the explosion. She started thinking about the time travel series, didn't Doc Brown contact Marty after he'd been hurled into the past? He wrote a letter to be delivered a specific date and time.

She could write Kevin a letter letting him know where she was so that he could find her. Thrilled by her new idea it was hard for her to concentrate for the rest of the day. She could only hope the postal service would be curious enough about her letter to deliver sixty years into the future.