- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 Is this the final stop? Even in the future Howie can't stop winking.

 

Julie refused to just lie down and cry as she had with her last jump. She was upset with herself for not realizing what she wanted when she had Kevin in the room the first time, but nothing could be done about that now, there was no use dwelling on the past.

“Damn tourists,” a woman grouched at Julie after running into her. It was after this that Julie realized she was in the middle of a very busy sidewalk. Pushing her way through the crowd she managed to find a bench near the street. She took a seat and looked around her; attempting to get a bearing of what time she was in. Tall buildings surrounded her on all sides, people walked in every direction to get into the buildings. Streets were crammed full of cars she'd never seen before, a small laugh escaped her lips when she saw the 'new' Volkswagen Beetle drive by with collectors plates.

She knew she was in the future, but how far? Instinctively she looked around for a newspaper stand when she remember that newspapers were a thing of the past in the year 2020 and she had to be further in the future than that. She spied a Starbucks across the street. 'They are still around? They must have something,' she thought to herself as she stood and walked through the cars that were sitting at a standstill for the red light in front of her.

The pleasant aroma of coffee greeted her as she entered the building. There was a moderately long line of people waiting to give their orders to the barista. Julie sneaked behind the people and found a table with what looked like a more advanced Newstop. She sat down and looked it over, hoping it would be fairly simple to figure out. She sighed with relief when she noticed the screen saver gave the date, time and year; August 25, 2045.

She sat staring at the screen, there would be no way to get a message to Kevin in the past, but if they research her, perhaps she would be able to research him. After all, if she remembered correctly, it was fifteen years in his future; she should be able to find him. She messed around on the touch screen, ignoring her stomach growling in hunger, until she found the internet browser.

She didn't know a whole lot about the man sent to help her, but she put the information she did have into a search engine. 'Kevin Richardson + time travel'. She doubted she would receive any information back, time travel would surely be kept secret. She received several sites with information about various Kevin Richardsons with the words time and travel scattered through the article. Nothing in her search brought any information that would be useful. Frustrated, she cleared out the search and tried another. 'Kevin Richardson + The Library'. It was the only other bit of information she was given by Kevin. She scrolled through pages referring to a nature photographer of the same name and how to find his books in the library, nothing that would help her. She was about to give up a description of a website caught her eye. '...information kept in this library … denied by Mr. Richardson... hiding Kevin, and we will know...'

Julie almost let out a squeal as she clicked on the site. It was a conspiracy theory website, the kind that thinks the government is hiding alien contact from the public. Julie flipped through pages of several different theories, scanning anything mentioning Kevin. She finally found something under the title 'Time is NO Longer Safe.'

'Yes, that's right people. Time is no longer safe. You think past is passed, that you should move past it and look to the future. It's been discovered that not even our pasts are safe. A secret non-governmental agency has been linked to several changes in our past. This site has had several claims of shadow memories, people remember events how they were to have happened originally. The only way to prove our claims is to visit the large building in the middle of Malcom Ave. right here in Westwood. Our source says this building has histories we are not aware of because they've been changed. All of the information in this library is somehow protected from the changes being made, so it is a true record of Earth's past. A spokesperson for the building was asked about this and everything was denied by Mr. Richardson. We know what you are hiding Kevin and we will know the truth!'

Thrilled with the information she just read, Julie left the Starbucks and started walking down the street. It wasn't long before she stopped and asked herself, 'Am I even in LA?'

“Excuse me,” Julie stopped a random person. She mentally crossed her fingers and asked. “How do I get to The Library on 103rd Blvd?”

The man stopped and held his finger up to Julie. “Yes, I should be there in thirty minutes. See you then.” The brown eyed man pushed a button in his ear then turned back to Julie, she noticed his eyes widen slightly when he looked towards her. “If you turn left at the next street and walk straight for another four blocks you should be there.” He smiled.

“Thanks,” Julie responded and started in the direction the man sent her. 'Does everyone know about this “secret” building?' She wondered to herself as she continued walking in the direction the man directed her in.

The street she turned onto was barren compared to the street she just left, Julie took a deep breath finally able to walk freely without fear of bumping into someone. It didn't take her long to feel like someone was following her. She shook the feeling off, there were still plenty of people around her and nobody knew her, she didn't have a purse, why would someone follow her? Still feeling someone behind her, she turned to see several people walking in the same direction as her.

“Don't be paranoid Julie,” She told herself as she turned back around and continued walking. It was barely thirty minutes later when she found herself standing in front of a large building that looked like a library. She found it difficult to move. What if this wasn't the place? What if Kevin wasn't here and she couldn't find him before he left?

“Just go in Julie,” a voice behind her startled her enough that she was sure she jumped a foot into the air. She turned to see the man who had given her directions standing behind her.

“Who are you?” She asked, why did everyone know her name?

The man broke into a cheesy grin and held his arm out to her. “You will find your answers up there,” he knocked his head towards the building. “Kevin is there.” He winked at her realizing she wasn't going to take his arm, started up the stairs without her.

“What the hell is going on?” She yelled out after him. She wasn't going to get answers staring at the bottom of the stairs. Taking the 1960's heels off, she jogged up the stairs and found the man waiting for her at the top. “What is going on? How do you know me? How do you know who I'm looking for?”

“Let's go in,” He pressed his palm to a pad next to the door. Julie watched as it scanned his hand, a click sounding on the door. He held the door for her. Why did everyone she meet associated with this place insist on being secretive? She took a deep breath and entered the building.

Her eyes adjusted to the dim light fairly quickly, it didn't take her long to realize she was standing inside a library. She could see what looked like a card catalog, a bank of computers, what appeared to be a circulation desk and a few tables with lamps. She did not see any books though. She didn't see any other person either. She turned to the man. “I thought you said...”

“He's upstairs,” the man interrupted and pointed to a flight of stairs behind the last row of computers.

Julie watched the man as she made her way to the stairs. She took them two at time. She expected Kevin to be standing at the top of the stairs waiting for her, but all she saw were books and more tables with lamps. “Kevin?” She called out softly, her mom always told her to be quiet in a library.

She walked a few more steps and called out his name again, louder this time. “I'm in the 1680's.” She heard his voice call back.

“What the hell does that mean?” She yelled back. It wasn't long before she saw Kevin emerge from a shelves towards the middle of the floor. His head was looking down at a book he was carrying in his hands.

“You should...” He looked up and appeared startled to see her standing there. “Julie?” He questioned.

“Has it been that long that you don't remember me?” She laughed, relieved to find a familiar face, looking older, but familiar. She moved closer to him breathing easier.

“I just... I wasn't....how?” He questioned her as he set the still open book on a nearby table and pulled a chair out for her. He then seemed to notice her clothes. “1960?” He asked as he took his own seat.

Julie nodded and set the shoes on the table. “I've been here for a couple of hours. You can't imagine how relieved I was to be able to find you.”

“How did you get in here?” He asked.

“A guy I met on the street gave me directions and then let me in,” Julie shrugged with a smile. “You all like to stay mysterious don't you?”

Kevin looked down at his watch and back to Julie, “I believe you just met Dr. Dorough. He was supposed to meet me here.” They sat in silence for a minute, Kevin looking unsure about what to do next.

“I wanna go home.” She blurted out. “I need to get this out before I jump again. Take me home.”

“But...” He paused and looked at his hands then back to Julie. “if I remember correctly you wanted to make a deal.”

Julie nodded. “Yes, and I still do. I want to go home, I want to stop jumping through time, but I don't want to tell you when my first jump was. I want to go home as I am now, with all my memories, good and bad.”

“You realize that we have to convince Howie, Dr. Dorough, to allow this. If you go back you will have memories of any future dates you visited. We can't let you loose with that kind of knowledge.” Kevin looked at her, his eyes seemed sad.

“Do you think I have the lotto numbers and am going to make myself rich?” she laughed.

“No, but you might accidentally leak knowledge.”

“Kevin, that night in the diner and your hotel room was the longest I have ever been in a future date. That's why I want to get this going quickly, I always seem to jump faster when I'm in the future.” She stood and grabbed her shoes. “I am going to look for the Dr. if that's who I need to convince.”

“No need to go far,” Howie's voice came from the stairs. “Come to the lab, let's get the fear of jumping randomly taken care of and then we will talk about you keeping your memories.”

Howie, Kevin and Julie moved into a room at the back of the library area. This was definitely a lab, high tech computers adorned the tables. Against the walls there were different screens with different read outs that Julie had no clue what they meant. A lone table towards the back held the lone microscope and a few empty vials. Julie could see a refrigerator case next to the table full of vials, some blood red, others clear.

“Take a seat,” Howie directed her as he pulled a stool out from under the lab table. He moved towards the refrigerator and pulled a key out, unlocking the case. He carefully selected a vial of the clear liquid. Kevin handed him a syringe and Julie watched as the Dr. filled the syringe with the liquid.

“Relax your arm,” Howie said when he turned to her.

“What does that do?” She asked, a little afraid of being injected with some strange liquid from a man in the future who was claiming to help her.

“Without getting too complicated, the explosion forced the chemical compound that was being tested into your lungs where it fused with your DNA. This here,” He wiggled the syringe “immobilizes that part of your DNA.”

“Okay, but what is it? Is it radiation? Is it another chemical? For all I know you could be injecting me with Windex.” She looked around at the two men standing in the room with her.

“Don't be silly,” Howie took hold of her arm and pushed the needle into the skin, forcing the plunger down with his thumb. Julie could feel a coldness start from the point of injection and spread through her body. The room started to get dark very quickly and her world closed in on her. “Windex is blue.”