- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Life resumes, coffee is good, and my what blue eyes you have.

Julie sat on her bed that night, after Jeff left, staring at the ring on her finger. Feelings for Jeff came rushing back to her when he opened the box and asked her to marry him. She had no hesitation when she accepted, yet now, alone in her room, her thoughts settled on Kevin. His green eyes smiling in jest, the messy look his dark hair had when he came after she sent her letter, the gentleness of his touch before he left her for the final time.

“Stop it,” she quietly chastised herself. “He completed his mission, I am home. I will never see him again.” She threw her pajamas on and climbed into bed expecting to fall asleep fairly quickly but her mind would not let rest come. Her thoughts floated around Kevin's goodbye. The feeling she got when he touched her, she hated to admit that Jeff's touch never made her feel that way. Thinking of his departure brought back his final words. What did he mean 'Help him'? Who was it she was supposed to help?

Sleep refused to come as she dwelled on his final words. She sat up in bed and turned on the lamp next to her bed. If she remembered correctly, she always kept a pad of paper and pen in the top drawer of her nightstand. She opened the drawer and sure enough, a fresh pad of paper and brand new purple pen lay in the drawer. She jotted down everything her mind was pondering, hoping that if she wrote them down she could sleep and figure out what she would do, if she would do anything, about them tomorrow.

It must have helped because the next thing Julie remembered was her alarm buzzing. She slapped the alarm off and mentally kicked herself for not making sure it was turned off before she went to bed. Grabbing the notebook, she made her way downstairs to make herself coffee and look over what she wrote last night.

As the coffee brewed, Julie studied the notes she made in her notebook. She needed to know who the 'him' Kevin was referring to. She determined that it had to be someone in her own time, why would he give her instruction otherwise? She thought back to everything she learned while she was in the future. Maybe someone involved with the project in this time needed help. Julie thought it was her best bet and decided she would hunt down the students who were behind the time travel teleportation device.

The only other thing on her notepad was 'Tell Kevin'. She must have jotted that down right before she fell asleep. She stared at the note unable to figure out what she meant when she wrote it.

After filling her travel mug with the coffee, Julie exited the house and went to her car. “You never forget, right?” She questioned herself as she got behind the wheel. As she pulled out of the driveway, a car horn behind her blared causing Julie to jump into the air.

“Shit!” she exclaimed as she slammed on her brakes. Now, extra careful, Julie pulled out and drove as cautiously as she could. Her mind took over and it wasn't long before the routine of driving to campus every morning came back and she was able to find her way to the campus parking lot. It wasn't hard to find the Physics building as there were still news crews looking for a story and rescue workers moving rubble aside in hopes of finding somebody, anybody, in the mess.

“Isn't it tragic?” a female voice startled her.

“Horrible,” Julie agreed. The girl standing next to her was a petite brunette. A bag slung over her shoulder staring at the scene in front of them.

“Do you think they will find anyone?” her voice was soft giving Julie the chills, but not in a creepy way.

'No' her mind answered but she managed to shrug. “I hope so.”

“I was supposed to be there,” the young woman added. “I was planning to get together with my study group there. I remember getting ready and then I found myself waking up in my bed. Maybe I dreamed I got ready and since it felt so real, I overslept?”

Julie's eyes widened. Was this girl someone that was displaced? “I planned to be there that morning too. My name is Julie,” She offered her hand as she turned towards the girl.

“Mary,” the other responded “I should get going; I'm supposed to be meeting Charles, Brian and Patrick for coffee.”

Julie started to wonder why the girl gave her all the names of who she was meeting when the names hit her. Kevin spoke of a Mary and a Charles when he told her about the project. Mary was the first displaced person found and Charles was the name of one of the boys who worked on the project. Julie couldn't believe her luck. Without trying to look conspicuous, she started to follow Mary to the coffee shop.

When she arrived, Julie found a newspaper and sat near the door. She watched Mary sit with a group of guys and start pulling out notebooks. Mary sat next to the red-headed man; their shoulders touching intimately, the other two sat facing Julie's direction. The one with the dark brown hair looked like he'd just rolled out of bed that morning; his hair went every direction but flat. His clothes looked like he'd slept in them. He was busy chattering away to the others, obviously annoyed that Mary was ruffling the red-head's hair instead of listening. She turned her attention to the other man sitting at the table. Her heart jumped in her throat when she noticed that he was watching her.

Julie could feel the heat of his gaze as he continued to watch her. Even as she moved the newspaper in front of her again, she could still feel his gaze. Still feeling like he was watching her, she ventured to move the paper aside and check.

“I noticed you watching us,” The man, now standing in front of her spoke. “Is there something I can help you with?”

Julie looked up and into a pair of piercing blue eyes. He looked vaguely familiar but Julie was sure she'd never met him before. “I was just curious,” Julie threw out there hoping it would be enough of an explanation.

“Curious about?” The man asked taking a seat across from her.

“That girl,” Julie pointed to Mary. “She said she was supposed to be in the building that exploded. I work for the school paper; I thought I might be able to get an interview.” Julie made up.

The man smiled at her. “Nice try, but I work for the paper.”

“Fine, you got me,” Julie threw up her hands. “I'm a traveler through time and I was sent back to observe mating customs of the twenty-first century.” She laughed and looked at the table where Mary and the red-head were clearly going to be heading back to one of their rooms soon.

“Time traveler huh,” the man mused. “Perhaps I could interview you for the paper?” He laughed.

“I'm afraid I won't be able to speak much on the matter,” She stated matter-of-factly. This man made her feel at ease, she was starting to enjoy the conversation. “Sworn to secrecy and all.”

“Brian!” the guy with the messy dark hair called out to the man sitting with Julie. “Stop flirting, we are going to be late.” The other guy stood and was already out the door before Brian even looked up.

“Well I guess that's my cue.” He held out his hand. “Brian, nice to meet you That master of tact is Charles. I should get going before he gives everyone in this room more information than they need about my dating life.”

Julie took his hand and shook it lightly. “Julie, the pleasure was mine.” She grinned at him. He had given her the one piece of information she was after. She knew now who Charles was. She watched as the two headed back to campus, hoping she would be able to get an idea of where they were going so she could show up there. She had to get Charles alone.

“Hey,” Mary said standing in front of Julie. “Did you follow me?”

Julie nodded, there was no use denying it. “When you mentioned coffee I had a desire for some so I followed you here.”

Mary eyed her suspiciously, it was then Julie realized she hadn't bought a cup of coffee when she'd arrived. Her alibi was instantly blown. Mary didn't seem to notice though. “I saw you talking to Brian. Isn't he good looking?” Mary smiled and looked towards Patrick who was flipping through a notebook in his hands, oblivious to what Mary just said. “I think he's a little...” Mary held her hand limply in font of her. “...gay. It's a shame.”

Julie looked at her confused; she hadn't gotten that vibe from him at all. “What makes you say that?”

“He is always hanging around Charles, following him around. I think he has a slight crush on him. They don't work on any project together but Brian is always around watching Charles as he works. It's kind of creepy. He transferred here from USC this last semester and attached himself to Charles from the beginning.” Mary shrugged and took hold of Patrick's hand. “Well we should head out, class and all.” She waved at Julie with her fingertips and was gone.

Julie doubted Brian was gay, but she was curious as to why this guy who suddenly appeared was hanging around one of the founders of time travel. Julie looked at her watch, she had no idea what her schedule was anymore, and she figured she would get a copy of one off the student website that night. She would resume classes later; right now she wanted to find out who Brian was and what he wanted. She wasn't positive, but it was likely Charles was the 'him' mentioned by Kevin.