- Text Size +
Chapter Forty-Two

Brian and Emma had been filling out insurance forms for quite some time when Brian's cell phone rang. The office they were in was a plain office, typical to every other office in the hospital's four walls. Brian's back was turned to the door in the hallway, where he'd gone to take the call. Emma held her purse in her lap, her hand absently shuffling Brian's ring back and forth on it's chain at her neck, the receptionist humming quietly to herself as she scanned a couple copies of the paper work.

It'd been a relatively quiet morning. Molly and Jake had left that morning, ecstatic to be spending a night away together, suitcases tucked under Jake's arm and Molly's worried directions for while they were gone. The whiteboard on the fridge had detailed their planned itinerary so Emma would know exactly where they were at every moment to be able to contact them efficiently. Brian had arrived right on schedule to pick Emma up at Molly and Jake's, and they'd gotten to the hospital early for the meeting to do the paperwork.

But when Brian walked back into the room, his face pale, Emma knew the calm of the morning was about to come to a close.

"Brian?" she asked, "What's the matter?"

"Where's the Emergency Room?" Brian asked, his voice weak, shaking.

The receptionist looked up, "Down stairs - two flights, then follow the red line on the tile..." she answered, concern registering on her face.

Brian's hands were shaking, "I'm sorry," he stammered, "I - I need to go." He turned and, without any other words, left the room.

"I'm sorry," Emma apologized hurriedly jumping up to go after him, "I'll call you when I can." She rushed into the hallway after Brian. His back was already retreating around the corner toward the elevators. She hurdled after him and only just made it before the elevator doors closed. "What's going on?" Emma asked as the elevator car lurched downwards. She caught onto the rails that lined the tiny cubed area.

"My dad," Brian stammered, "He had a heart attack."

Emma clutched the rails tighter. Mr. Littrell was like a second father to her. "Oh Lord," she murmured.

"He's downstairs," Brian stated. "My mum is too. G'Lord, g'Lord," his hands were still shaking.

When they reached the floor the receptionist had sent them too, Brian took off along the hallway following the redline. Emma trotted along behind him, her heart racing. When they reached the Emergency Room hallway, her eyes landed on Jackie Littrell, standing and clutching her husband's jacket, pacing.

"Mum," Brian said, greeting her and wrapping his arms around her, pulling her tight to his chest. "Is he okay? Are you okay?" he asked.

Jackie wiped her eyes, "Lordy Baby Duck," she muttered, "You got here somethin' fast."

"We were just upstairs," Brian explained.

"We?" Jackie's eyes landed on Emma and for the slightest of moments, confusion clouded her eyes, then she gasped. "Emma? Emma Harris?"

Emma smiled, "Hello Mrs. Littrell."

Jackie looked at Brian, "Where's Baylee?" she asked.

Brian froze. "Shit," he groaned.

"Watch your mouth young man," Jackie scolded. Brian looked at his watch, though, barely hearing her.

"It's after 2:30 already," Bria n said. He looked torn, rubbing his forehead with his hand, Jackie's arms tightly wrapped around her boy...

"I'll get him," Emma suggested.

Brian looked surprised...then skeptical. "I dunno," he muttered.

"Brian, it's fine," Emma said, "It's not like he bites."

"That we know of," Brian intoned. He shook his head, "Em," he said, "I don't know how he'll feel about --"

"Bri, I already knows he hates me, but I think, given the circumstances, he can put up with me for the fifteen minutes it takes to get from the school to here," Emma pointed out, "So you can be with your family."

Jackie looked up at Brian with pleading eyes. "Don't leave me," she begged.

Brian reached into his pocket and handed Emma the keys to the truck.

*****

Baylee came out of the school carrying a shoe box he'd made a diagram inside of. Foam ball planets spun on thread in a dark blue painted box. He opened the door to the truck and swung inside. "Mr. Pike was really impressed," Baylee bragged, turned to pull on his seatbelt.

"I um..."

At the sound of a woman's voice, Baylee turned and for the first time noticed who was sitting behind the wheel. Baylee hesitated. "Where's my dad?" he demanded.

Emma took a deep breath, "Your grandfather isn't feeling too good, and your dad asked if I would pick you up."

Baylee glowered at Emma, then reached for the handle of the truck. Emma clicked the locks and the door clicked. Baylee turned, facial expression angry. "Why don't you get out of our life?" he demanded.

"Because I care about you guys," Emma replied, trying to be patient.

"We don't need you," Baylee yelled, "My mom cares about us, not you."

Emma frowned, "I'm not here to take your mom's place," she stammered.

"Good because you don't even come close!" Baylee yelled, "You're not even CLOSE to being my mom."

"I know how you feel," Emma supplied.

"No you don't," Baylee growned, "You don't know."

"I do though," Emma argued.

"You don't know what its like to lose a mom," Baylee yelled, "Don't lie and say you do when you don't."

"I do know how it feels," Emma replied. "My mom died in a car crash, too." Her voice was pitched, "My mom and my dad were both killed in a car crash."

Baylee froze, his mouth full of comments that could no longer come out. He kept his eyes focused on the window. After a long moment, he slowly turned to face Emma. "How old were you?"

"In my twenties," Emma admitted, "So I guess I don't know exactly what it's like - I don't know what it's like when I'm your age, but it's no less scary when you're oler, I'm sure..." she smiled sadly. "You're lucky to still have your father around. He really loves you a whole lot."

"He said that?" Baylee questioned.

"He talks about you a lot," Emma said.

Baylee considered this for a long moment. "So if you're not trying to replace my mom, how come you hang out with my dad so much?" he asked.

"We were friends when we were younger," Emma explained, "And your dad is helping me and I'm helping him. We're friends and friends do things for each other."

"Do you really have cancer?" Baylee asked quietly.

Emma nodded.

"Does my daddy help your cancer?" he asked.

"Yeah, he does," Emma replied. "If it wasn't for your dad, I wouldn't be able to get the treatment I need to fight the cancer."

Baylee contemplated this for a moment, then he asked, "Do you have kids to stay alive for?"

Emma felt a pain shoot through her heart. She'd grown up wanting children so badly and now she may never have one. She looked at Baylee and shook her head, "I don't have any kids."

"It's still pretty cool he's helping you live and stuff," Baylee admitted.

"Yeah it is, your dad's a good guy," Emma agreed.

"I guess you aren't so bad either," Baylee conceeded.

*****

Brian was out front of the hospital when Emma pulled up with Baylee twenty minutes later. He walked over and greeted Emma at the driver's side door. "After examining him, they think it's gas," Brian said, rolling his eyes. "Apparently he ate some pulled pork that didn't agree with him and he thought he was having a heart attack."

Emma laughed, "I'm glad he's okay."

"Hey bud," Brian greeted Baylee.

"Hey," Baylee answered.

Brian's eyes registered surprise. He hadn't expected a response. He'd expected a sullen glare, maybe even a rude comment about Emma. Brian's eyes met Emma's, which were sparkling with pride that Baylee had accepted her. He looked back to Baylee. "How'd Emma do at picking you up?"

"She was good," Baylee answered. "We talked."

"Oh yeah?" Brian asked. Again, Emma's eyes sparkled and she shrugged, a smile coming onto her face as he gave her a questioning look.

"Yup," Baylee nodded, "She's cool."

This was such a huge swing in opinion since the last time Brian had spoken with Baylee about Emma that he felt like the Twilight Zone music should be playing somewhere, or the introduction to the Alfred Hitchcock Show was about to break into the scene. He imagined the big-haired guy with the deep voice-over voice from Unsolved Mysteries wandering into the frame.

"I'm glad you think so," Brian said.

Baylee smiled.