- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Something stupid I came up with. I was amused. Enjoy lol.
Ever since he performed at Good Morning America with the Backstreet Boys, Nick was back home in his house in Vegas and he was bored. He’d tried making a bunch of Instagram videos of him and his son Odin to entertain himself. He’d tried making videos of himself at the gym or going to the gym. Mostly for the fans entertainment but he was looking to occupy his own time.


Being a dad at home was great, but Nick was looking for something new and fun to do. So he went to the internet. He found a lot of videos to watch, mostly the police department lip sync challenges...but even they started to get dull. It was then that he clicked on a video called the In My Feelings challenge.

“This is great!” Nick said, laughing at the man dancing outside of a Walmart, watching Will Smith dance on a bridge in Budapest. Watching good looking men and women dance on the side of their cars. The song was kind of dumb but Nick liked the dances. They were fun and interesting.

“What are you watching?” Lauren asked as she came into the kitchen where Nick was seated at the table in his shirt and boxers, watching videos on his laptop. Odin was in the chair next to him attempting to feed himself but getting eggs mostly on the table.

“That new dance challenge on YouTube. Maybe I should do one of these.” Nick said. Lauren shook her head at him because Nick was always trying to do whatever was the latest thing and he’d get bored of it right away due to his short attention span.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea. You can get hurt, I’ve seen those videos. They leave the car in drive and dance next to it.”

“It’s just for fun. I’ll get someone to help me with it. The fans will love it.” Nick protested, shutting the laptop and finishing his coffee. He texted each of the guys to see who was around to help him. The only person willing to help was Howie.

“Nick, I can’t believe you talked me into doing this.”

“This is for the fans, Howie. I’ll buy you a drink after.” Nick promised, as the two of them got in the car. Howie was suddenly reminded about the time Nick was set on dunking his head in the bucket of ice water and how much he complained about a headache after they’d all done it. Howie did not participate. He thought that some of the stuff Nick came up with was usually a bad idea.

“I don’t care who this is for. Just don’t do anything dumb.”

“I got it all figured out. You are going to film me dancing next to the car and when I’m done I’ll just jump back in.”

“So who is driving during this whole thing?”

“I’m leaving the car in drive. We are doing it on a straight patch of road, what is the problem?” Nick asked. Howie looked at him skeptically.

“I don’t know about this.”

“Just shut up and get in the car.”


Nick drove to a part of Las Vegas that was generally quiet, he enjoyed living out in the desert as a change of pace. It was very different from Tennessee or Florida, but he liked it. Things were relaxing but busy at the same time and Nick needed that sense of balance. Plus it was close to the residency so he did not have to travel and it was a great place to raise Odin, away from many things that Nick would rather his son be away from.

“Alright, let’s do this.” Nick said, leaving the car in drive and getting out of the driver’s seat. He had the song playing and began to dance, Howie filming from the passenger seat.

“I still think this is stupid.”

“Just do it, please…”

Howie reluctantly began to film. As it turned out, the dance was pretty good and he felt like they could have done it as a group, but it was a bit late for that now.

“Howie….do you love me…” Nick joked, changing the lyrics to the song as he danced. Howie laughed, but he was still nervous.

“I’d love you more if you got back in the car,” he called out. He shook his head and laughed, begging him to get in the car because he had a bad feeling about it. Something just did not feel right at all.

Nick ignored him and continued to dance. He looked happy, smiling as he danced.



Neither of them saw the truck coming from behind, swerving on the road.


“Howie, do you-“

“NICK!!!”

Howie’s eyes grew wide as Nick’s body was suddenly thrown into the air from the impact of the enormous truck, bouncing off the hood and getting struck a second time as he rolled in front of it. Howie managed to stop the car even though he was freaking out and screaming, staring in stunned silence. He never saw the truck drive over Nick, never saw the blood and never heard the bones cracking as he was crushed under the wheels of the vehicle. Howie finally managed to get out of the car, running over to where the truck was resting, but it was way too late. Nick was dead.

“What was that idiot doing in the road?” The truck driver yelled, climbing out of the other side. They both looked at the blood soaked ground at Nick’s body, as Howie called 911.

“Well?”

“He didn’t listen.” Howie whispered through tears as he waited for a paramedic to pick up the phone. The video never got uploaded but Howie was forever haunted by the Drake song, the image of Nick getting struck by the truck burned into his brain.