- Text Size +
                                    Chapter 15

 

“What should I say to her? What if she starts crying?” She asked as they approached the door.

 

“I’ll be there to try and help her stay calm but if it’s too much you can leave, I’ll talk to her.” AJ said. “I’m going to go in first since she’s had some time to sit on it and see what all she has remembered than I’ll come get you ok?” He said as he stopped at Chelsea’s door.

 

“Ok” Nadia replied with a nod as she stopped beside him.

 

AJ opened the door to her room and walked in as he turned around from close the door he saw her staring at him.  “Where is she?”

 

“She’s outside the door I just wanna talk to you for a second.” AJ told her as he walked to her bedside.

 

“Alex.” Chelsea replied with a small plea to her voice.

 

“I know sweetheart but I wanna fill you in on what happened.” AJ said.  “Plus I wanna know what you remember?”

 

“I remember her.” Chelsea said as she looked to the door.

 

“Is that it?” AJ asked.

 

Chelsea took a deep breath.  “I remember us, I remember my Dad.” She paused.  “I remember my Mom. Some things are still fuggy, I know pieces are missing.” Then without hesitation she spoke again.  “Is she ok, is she mad at us? When did you find her?”

 

AJ smiled lightly.  “She’s doing ok right now, I think, no she’s not mad at us.  Well at first she was mad at me when I met her in Vegas.”

 

“Vegas?” Chelsea asked.

 

AJ took a deep breath.  “The day you fell, in the bathroom. The reason why I wasn’t home was because I went to get you flowers and tell you that the Detective had called.  He told me she was alive and they had a good lead on her, they were told by some family members she might have been in Vegas with Helen.” AJ told her as he sat on the side of the bed facing her.  “So I went to get you flowers and tell you the good news.” He stopped looked down at his fingers picking at each other and frowned.  “When I came back I heard the shower going so I brought the flowers up to you and that’s when I found you on the floor.”

 

Her hand touched the side of his face and he looked up at her.  “Alex” She spoke in a sympathetic tone.  It made his eyes well up with tears but he fought it back, he couldn’t break down yet, there was too much to do.  He needed to be strong for her and for Nadia, they needed him now. 

 

“We’ve had time to talk and even bond a little, she’s still a little uncomfortable with something’s but she seems to be doing ok.” He told her.

 

“Where is she?” Chelsea asked.

 

“Outside the room, I wanted to see how you were doing and everything. She’s nervous.”

 

Chelsea sighed.  “I don’t blame her.”

 

“Want me to go get her now?” He asked.

 

She looked at him and then at the door, took a deep breath and spoke. “Yeah”

 

AJ lightly smiled and stood up, he walked over to the door and opened it and when he looked out he saw Nadia sitting in the chair by the door.  “Ready?” He asked and she nodded.

 

Nadia stood up and he stepped back letting her walk into the room.  Grabbing the door handle was it started to close he made sure he kept an eye on both of them.  He watched for a moment as the two of them stared at each other, Nadia standing close to the end of the bed and Chelsea looked calm but AJ could see in her eyes she was ready to crack.

 

He walked up to Nadia and she looked up at him.  “She says she remembers a lot, she remembers what happened and you, but there are still some pieces missing.”

 

“Hi” Nadia said to Chelsea as she looked at her.

 

It took Chelsea a minute but she finally spoke.  “Hi” Then there was a long pause until Chelsea spoke again.  “How are you doing?”

 

“I’m ok” Nadia replied.  “Are you ok?”

 

AJ looked at Chelsea and he saw a little shock come across her face.  “Yeah” She nodded and then the room became quiet, until a knock at the door broke the silence.

 

Everyone looked towards the door as it opened and Chelsea’s Doctor came in.  He greeted everyone and took a seat beside Chelsea.  AJ noticed Nadia was fidgeting a little so he decided to take her out of the room while Chelsea and her Doctor talked.

 

“I’m going let Anne and Kevin know what’s going on.” AJ told Chelsea as he kissed her lightly on the forehead.

 

“Did you want to come?” He asked Nadia and she nodded, then he turned back to his wife.  “We’ll be right back ok?”

 

“Ok” Chelsea nodded.

 

The two left the room and began walking down the hall again.  He looked down at his daughter and searched for the words to say but he didn’t have to Nadia spoke first.  “She didn’t say much.”

 

“She’s probably not sure what to say.” AJ told her.

 

“I should have told her I wasn’t mad at her.” Nadia said.

 

“She asked me if you were and I told her no.” AJ replied as they reached the waiting room.

 

“So what’s up?” Kevin asked as they walked into the room.  “How did it go?”

 

“It went good; the Doctor came in so we’re just giving him a bit to check Chelsea out and stuff.” He replied. 

 

“Jerald left.” Kevin told him as he watched Nadia walk over to a chair and sit down.

 

“Thank god.” AJ sighed.

 

“So what does Chels remember?” Kevin asked as him and AJ sat down.

 

“She remembers what happened, Nadia, her Dad and Mom but she said there are pieces missing, what I’m not sure yet.” AJ said as he kept an eye on Nadia.

 

“So what happened to her, she just started to remember?” Kevin asked.

 

“I dunno it was weird, I guess she saw Nadia during the little fight in the room, she assumed Nadia was mine and asked me about her, so I figured I should tell her but before I could finish she said Nadia’s name and then kind of went into a daydream for a minute.  When I got her attention again all she wanted was to see Nadia.”  AJ told him.

 

“So how did that go?” Kevin asked.

 

“They said Hi that was about it.” AJ said with a light shrug.

 

The conversation ended there and AJ was glad, everyone had been asking him questions and dealing with Nadia and Chelsea, he finally had a moment to himself.  A moment with his thoughts about everything going on, a moment to realize his wife was awake, a moment to grasp what happen when she woke up and now a moment to enjoy the fact she remembered.  About fifteen minutes later Chelsea’s Doctor walked into the waiting room and filled everyone in on what was going on with Chelsea. 

 

“The memory loss seemed to have been temporary.” The Doctor told him.  “A side effect of the coma the best way I can explain it is, everything else in her woke up when she did, except her memory.  I asked her some simple memory questions like if she remembered her wedding day, she replied she did, I then asked her if she remembered what she wore, what her dress looked like but that she couldn’t remember.”  He looked at his chart and notes and then spoke again.  “It’s still to early to say what she will remember, the pieces could start falling in place, or they could never come back to her.  It’s still likely she could suffer from short term memory problems or even long term ones.  We’ll know more as the days go on.”

 

“So what happens now?” AJ asked.

 

“In about an hour we’ll take her down for a CAT scan and see what that shows us.” The Doctor told him.  “After that we’ll work on how her body is after being in the coma, what her mobility is like and check her reflexes those types of things.”

 

“When can she go home?” Anne asked.

 

“I would say at least a week from now depending on how the next couple of days go and there are no more major problems.” He told them and AJ was a little relieved to hear that.

 

“Well I’m going to go back down; did you guys wanna come and say Hi?” He asked.

 

“Yes.” Everyone replied with a nod and it kind of made AJ smile.

 

They all filed down the hallway; Nadia walked right beside him as they approached the door but when they did something took their attention away.  Yelling.  AJ looked at Kevin confused as his former band mate looked at him the same way.

 

“Is that Chelsea?” Anne asked in wonder.

 

“Get out!!!” They heard her yell.  “Get out of my room and get out of my fucking life, do you hear me, I want nothing, nothing to do with you ever again!”

 

AJ looked at Kevin and they both replied with the same answer. “Jerald.”

 

They both went for the door handle and who ever was the first one there opened it.  Everyone filed into the room and saw Jerald standing by Chelsea’s bed as she continued to yell at him.  “I can’t believe you came here and did that to Alex, after everything he had been through that night you showed up and start throwing punches!?!? If I could get out of this bed I would kick the ever loving hell out of you! I’m so sick of you coming around and messing with my life, it’s my life Jerald, my life!!  I am not the same person I was when you found me in Mexico and that is all because of Alex, not you, not Kevin, not Anne, it is because of Alex.”

 

“What the hell is going on?” AJ asked as he clenched his fist and stared at Kevin’s eldest brother.

 

“That’s what I would like to know.” Anne replied as she stepped up beside him.

 

“Jerald wants me to go back to Kentucky, like this sudden memory gain made me forget the little stint he pulled trying to get me to go earlier.” Chelsea told them.  “Then he proceeded to tell me about attacking Alex outside the hospital because he had to show what kind of person Alex is.”

 

“You don’t know what type of person AJ is, you don’t know him.” Kevin snapped at his brother.  “You’ve made that perfectly clear over the last couple of years, you think you know, but you have no idea, you really don’t.”

 

“I want what is best for Chelsea.” He repeated.

 

“Then get the fuck outta my room!” She yelled at him.  “Get out of my sight, my life, and anything else that has to do with me! That is what is best for me!” AJ ignored Jerald as he walked past him making his way out the door as AJ made his way to Chelsea’s bed side.

 

“Why, why why…” She said as she started to softly cry.  “Why can’t he just leave us alone?”

 

“I don’t know hun, I wish I did.” AJ told her as he sat on the side of her bed and she wrapped her arms around him.  Normally he would have been furious, Jerald coming in here and upsetting her like he did and he probably still was deep down inside but right now all that mattered was that he was holding her.

 

Chelsea pulled away when she had calmed down and he turned around to see who was left in the room.  He was a little surprised to see it was just Nadia and then he turned to look at Chelsea again.  “Well you don’t have to worry about him now, so I want you to stay calm ok, getting upset like this can’t be good for you.”

 

“I know” She mumbled.  “But when he told me about him attacking you outside the night I fell, I guess I just snapped. You don’t deserve to be treated the way he treats you.” Chelsea said.

 

“I thought you said you were the one with the temper.” Nadia spoke up and they both looked at her. “Cause you went off on him.”

 

“I usually don’t yell like that but like I said he just made me so mad.” Chelsea replied with a sigh.  She then looked at Nadia.  “So you’ve seen his temper already?”

 

“Yeah Jerald showed up at the house this morning and I caught the show.” Nadia replied.  “That’s why I laughed earlier, he doesn’t give up.”

 

“No, no he doesn’t.” AJ sighed. He then looked at Chelsea.  “She has my attitude.” He whispered to her.

 

“Lovely.” Chelsea replied jokingly.

 

“I don’t have an attitude.” Nadia said a little hurt.

 

“Need I remind you about Vegas already?” AJ replied.

 

Nadia raised her eyebrows.  “I had just found out about you guys, cut me some slack.”

 

“See” AJ said as he turned and looked at Chelsea.  His wife smiled with a light giggle.  It made him smile.

 

“She’s already laughing at me.” Nadia huffed.

 

“I’m sorry.” Chelsea replied and AJ could tell she was worried she might have upset Nadia.

 

“No, it’s fine.” Nadia replied.  “At least I know how to work a video camera.”

 

“Oh burn.” AJ said quickly with a laugh.

 

“Hey, not fare.” Chelsea gasped but AJ and Nadia were to busy laughing together to answer her.