- Text Size +
                              Chapter 19

 

“What the hell are you doing?” Kevin whispered angrily at her as he closed the door to her bedroom.

 

“I’m going to Kentucky.” Chelsea replied.

 

“No you’re not.” Kevin hissed and then he turned to the door.

 

“What are you doing?” Chelsea asked as she grabbed his arm stopping him.

 

“Telling AJ what Jerald said and putting a stop to this.” Kevin replied.

 

“No.” Chelsea said quickly.

 

“So you’re going to Kentucky and then what, divorce him?” Kevin asked.  “Cause that’s what Jerald wants, he won’t be happy with you going to Kentucky for a few weeks, he wants you and AJ apart.”

 

“I know” Chelsea replied.  “But Kevin if Jerald takes us to court and if he wins, he will never let Alex see Nadia.”

 

“You’re going to kill him Chelsea; everything he’s ever wanted is being ripped away from him.” Kevin replied his voice still an angry whisper. “And by you of all people!”

 

“Don’t you think I know that?! You think this is easy for me, but I have to do this, for Alex and Nadia.” Chelsea snapped back.

 

“Hey” Someone said as she got nudge.  She looked beside her and saw Jerald driving the car down the dirt Kentucky road.  “Where did you go?”

 

“Just thinking.” She replied. Looking over her shoulder she looked back to Nadia sitting in the backseat.  She was listening to her Ipod, staring out the window.

 

“I’m glad you decided to do this, you’re a Mom now and she comes first.” Jerald said as they turned onto Anne’s street.

 

“Yeah” Chelsea replied trying to crack a smile.

 

“Asshole.” She thought. It pissed her off he was acting like a kid in a toy store.  They had just found their daughter and because of him they were now split down the middle but did he care? No, he was acting like he had won a major battle.

 

When they pulled into the drive Chelsea unbuckled her seat belt and opened the door.  She looked over to the other side of the car and saw Nadia getting out.  When the front door to the house opened she smiled as she saw Anne coming out.

 

“Hi sweetheart.” Anne said as she hugged her.

 

“Hi” Chelsea replied trying to smile.

 

“Hi Nadia” Anne said as Nadia came around the car.  The girl didn’t say anything.

 

“Nadia say hi.” Chelsea told her but she couldn’t blame her for the way she was.

 

“Hi” Nadia replied not looking at anyone.

 

“Well get your things and come inside, it’s a little chilly tonight.” Anne said as she pointed towards the house.

 

Jerald grabbed the bags and Chelsea and Nadia walked into the house with Anne.  Chelsea looked around and felt a little better with the familiarity of the place.  It had been a while since she had been here and right now if she couldn’t be at home with Alex being here was the next best thing.

 

“Can I call AJ?” Nadia asked.

 

“You just got here.” Jerald replied.

 

“So?” Nadia snapped at him.

 

“Go ahead.” Chelsea said with a nod.  “There’s a phone in the kitchen.”

 

“I’ll show you.” Anne said as she walked Nadia towards the kitchen door.

 

“Why do you have to be such an ass to her, Alex is still her Father.” Chelsea snapped when the two disappeared into the kitchen.

 

“Unfortunately” Jerald sighed.

 

Chelsea gave him a snotty look and rolled her eyes.  “Tell Anne I’ll be in my room unpacking.”

 

She walked up the stairs and walked down to the room that was always given to her when she stayed.  Closing the door she placed her bag down and then flopped down onto her bed.  For the first time all day she was alone, alone with her thoughts on what she had just done.  She knew what was going to happen next and she put her hand over her mouth as she began to cry.  Muffling her tears she tried to push them away, tried to calm herself so no one would see just how upset she was but the words she said to him earlier in the bedroom kept taunting her.  Telling him she didn’t trust him, telling him she thought he would go out and get drunk, pulling her hand away when he reached for her.  She didn’t want to do any of it but she needed to act that way, she needed to let him go and making it her fault, having her be the one to end it all would be better for AJ in the long run. Holding her breath she forced herself to stop crying, she wiped her eyes and began to breathe slowly, calmingly and got control of herself.  Picking up her bag she put it on the bed and unzipped it.  She started pulling out the clothes and setting them in the dresser.  As she reached the bottom of the bag she heard yelling from downstairs. Taking a deep breath she stood up, not even needing to figure out who was yelling she knew.  Getting up off the bed she walked out of the room and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

 

“You had no right to do that!” Nadia yelled at Jerald.

 

“What’s going on?” Chelsea asked and the three people in the room looked at her.

 

“Jerald hung up on AJ.” Nadia snapped.

 

“What?” Chelsea said a little stunned.

 

“I was talking to him on the phone…”

 

“She was bad mouthing me.” Jerald replied.  “See he’s taught her no respect.”

 

“Shut up!” Nadia yelled.

 

“Nadia!” Chelsea yelled back.

 

“I hate this, I don’t want to be here I want to be in California with my Dad!” Nadia yelled and took off up the stairs.  At that moment Chelsea should have been fuming but she was actually a little happy, that was the first time Nadia had acknowledged AJ or her as such.

 

“You had no right hanging up on them.” Chelsea said looking at Jerald.

 

“Like I said she was bad mouthing me.” Jerald told her.

 

“Then you come and tell me, you don’t just hang up on her, she has a right to talk to him.” Chelsea said angrily.

 

“Again, unfortunately.”

 

“Jerald.” Anne replied stunned and appalled.

 

“And you want her to treat you with respect but you can’t even go one second without bashing Alex.” Chelsea snapped.  She then turned around and headed upstairs, when she got to the top she saw Nadia sitting up against the hallway wall.

 

“Nadia?” Chelsea said as she approached her.

 

“I don’t know which one is my room.” Nadia mumbled.

 

“I’m sorry about Jerald.”

 

“No you’re not.” Nadia snapped.  “You’re the one that dragged me out here; you’re the one that made me leave him.”

 

“I told you why.” Chelsea replied not wanting to fight with Nadia over this right now.

 

“Because you don’t trust him? And too think he sat up night after night worrying about you, telling me how much he loved you, how he felt when they found out you where alive.”

 

“Nadia” Chelsea replied sadly.

 

“Where’s my room?” Nadia asked as she got up.

 

“That one.” Chelsea told her as she pointed to the door beside her room.

 

“Chelsea?” Anne said from behind them and they both turned around.

 

“Alex is on the phone, he wants to talk to you.” Anne said.

 

“I wanna talk to him.” Nadia said as she took off back down to the kitchen and Chelsea followed her.

 

“Hello?” Nadia said as she picked up the phone.  “But I wanna talk to you.” There was a pause and then a sigh. “Fine.”  She then turned to Chelsea and held out the phone to her.  “He wants to talk to you but I’m talking to him when you’re done.”

 

Chelsea walked over to the phone and took it from her.  “Hello.”

 

“You tell that fucker that if he EVER hangs up on Nadia like that again, I will personally come out there and kick the shit outta him, do you hear me?” AJ yelled into the phone.

 

“I yelled at him for it.” Chelsea replied.

 

“Yeah I’m sure you did.” AJ snapped back.

 

“What did you want?” Chelsea asked not wanting to be on the phone with him for to long.

 

“Now, I want to talk to my daughter.” AJ said with a snappy tone.  Chelsea closed her eyes, she hated having him talk to her like this but she brought it on herself and she knew this.

 

“Nadia” Chelsea said as she pulled the receiver from her ear and handed Nadia the phone.

 

“Have you heard from your Lawyer yet?” Nadia asked as Chelsea stared at her.  “I hate it here already.”

 

Chelsea frowned as she turned around and instead of going upstairs she walked out the back door onto the porch.  She sat down on the wooden chair and looked around, suddenly an old memory came back too her.

 

“So you’re Alex?” Chelsea said as she sat down to one of Kevin’s band mates.

 

“Yeah” He said quietly with a nod.

 

“Is this your first time here?” She asked as she looked at him.  He was cute, his eyes were memorizing to her but he seemed really shy.

 

“T-t-to Kentucky?” He asked and she nodded.  “Yeah.”

 

“Aww he stutters, cute.” She thought to herself and then there was a long silent pause.

 

“Hey have you seen the blue grass yet?” Chelsea asked.

 

“Nope” He replied with a shake of his head.  “Is the grass really blue?”

 

“Come on I’ll show ya.” She said as she stood up. 

 

“Really?” He replied as she stood up.

 

“Yeah there’s a field not to far from here.” She said pointed towards the end of the backyard.

 

“Cool” AJ said as he got up from his chair.

 

Chelsea took a deep breath as she looked out towards the end of the backyard, where the path to the blue grass fields started.  It seemed like a lifetime ago when they first talked sitting on the porch.  She felt her bottom lip quiver and her eyes begin to water. Quickly she wiped her eyes so no one would see her crying.

 

“Hey there you are.” AJ said as he walked up to Chelsea as she sat in the field of grass.

 

“Hey” Chelsea said as she flashed a light smile.

 

“Whatcha doing out here?” AJ asked.

 

“Just thinking.” Chelsea replied.

 

“About?” AJ asked.  There was a silence as she picked at the ground around her.  “Chels?”

 

She shrugged lightly as he sat down beside her.  “It just sucks that you’ll be leaving in the morning.”

 

“Yeah” AJ replied.  “But Kevin said you’ll be coming down for Thanksgiving so we can see each other than.”

 

“That’s like two months away.” Chelsea said as she looked at him and that’s when he saw the tears in her eyes.

 

“Chelsea” AJ said with a frown.  He reached up and brushed the tears from her cheek.

 

“It’s so weird I’ve only known you for a few days and…”

 

AJ interrupted her.  “Feels like we’ve known each other forever?” Chelsea nodded and AJ pulled her into his arms.

 

As the memory passed AJ took a deep breath, his head was in a fog and the throbbing headache he had didn’t help any.  He tried to figure out what happened, why Chelsea left, what did he do wrong but he couldn’t think of a single thing.  So lost in his thoughts he had forgotten that Kevin was there.

 

“What did she say?” Kevin asked and AJ quickly looked up.

 

“Who?” AJ asked.

 

“Nadia” Kevin replied.

 

AJ took a deep breath.  “That she doesn’t wanna be there, that Jerald’s been talking smack about me and it’s pissing her off.”  He took a deep breath and shook his head.  “I seriously don’t know what happened, why she would do this and I mean if she wanted to go there to relax all she had to do was tell me, she didn’t have to rip Nadia away from me act like she wasn’t coming back, I don’t even know if she is coming back.”

 

“She’ll come back Alex she loves you.” Kevin said and AJ looked at him.

 

“She said she doesn’t trust me, god Kev you should have heard her she sounded just like Jerald.” AJ sighed.

 

“Can you go out there? Do you have a break coming up?” Kevin asked.

 

“I have a couple of days, I guess I could.” AJ said as he started to think.

 

“Go out there, if anything Nadia will be happy to see you.” Kevin told him.