- Text Size +
“How the hell did you know about Princess Boo Boo?”

After what seemed like an eternity, James turned around and glared at me. His eyes were already red because of the anger consuming him, and for stopping the tears from falling. My heart broke for him and for Grace.

“Grace just told me; she said Princess Boo Boo was her favorite stuffed toy.” I stopped for a moment and listened to what Grace was saying “Princess Boo Boo is an ugly frog stuffed toy, but you taught her how special Princess Boo Boo can be. She’s glad you kept Princess Boo Boo and takes good care of her for 12 years.”

James opened his mouth to speak but no words came out. Melissa was rubbing his back and was trying to comfort him. What I said was probably too much for him to take.

“She asked me to tell you to stop blaming yourself because the accident was not your fault.”

“It was NO accident! A fucking crazy man took my family away from me!”

“I do understand that---“

“No! You don’t fucking understand a thing!” He cut me off and pointed his finger at me “Who the hell do you think you are, huh? You have no right to do this to me!” He grabbed my shoulder and pushed me hard to the couch.

I closed my eyes and wished for more patience; violence won’t help me solve this thing. I was more grateful now that Barbara believed me the moment I told her about Patty, and I didn’t have to tell Dina about seeing Big Ben. I took a deep breath and stood up.

“Yeah, you’re damn right! I don’t understand what you’re feeling because I didn’t lose my family in a tragic accident. I didn’t see them being killed by a psycho in front of me. I did not spend the last 12 years blaming myself and wishing I was able to save my little sister, so you’re fucking right I don’t understand!”

I waited for James to counter attack; I took one step closer when he didn’t “But you know what I do understand? Your little sister was so fucking hurt to watch you blame yourself and cry yourself to sleep almost every night. That her little body is tired of suffering here on Earth, but she can’t move on because she worries about her big brother too much. That I would do anything and everything I could to help this little girl, and to take the pain and sadness in her eyes; to help her cross over and find peace she truly deserves.”

James looked at me with uncertainty; I could see in his eyes that he was starting to believe me but he was holding back.

“I should have saved her,” James spoke after a minute of silence “I should have insisted for her to come with me and Sandra. I should have taken her from Mom.”

“But you and Sandra wouldn’t have survived,” Grace told her brother and then looked at me “You see, Nick, if we crawled together, the man would have noticed us and killed us.”

“That’s not true; we would have figured out a way.” James answered after I told him what Grace said.

“We had the perfect plan, James; You and Sandra first, then me and Mom. It was our time to go and that was not your fault. You have to forgive yourself, James, and let us rest.”

“You’re not mad at me, Gracie?” James muttered under his breath

“How could I? You are the best brother in the whole world, and I know you tried to save me and you love me very, very much. I have accepted my fate a long time ago; you should, too.”

“I love you, Gracie. Always have, always will.”

Grace’s face lit up and smiled for the first time. “I love you, James.”

Two loud knocks on the door interrupted the emotional moment going on. Dianne peeked through the door and gave me a hesitant smile.

“Time for the concert, Nick.”

“Ok.” I turned to James and Melissa when Diane was gone “See you again after the concert?”

Both of them nodded; I smiled and tapped James’ shoulders before heading out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Two minutes!”

Gayle informed us how much time left before the show would start. We were already in the backstage waiting. Grace appeared in front of me; she still had the sweet smile on her face and she was glowing.

“Thank you for helping me, Mr. Carter.”

I pulled out my phone from my pocket and pretended I was talking to someone. AJ was giving me ‘What the fuck are you smiling for’ kind of look.

“You’re welcome. You look beautiful, Grace.” I answered in a low voice

“There it is again!” She sounded so excited

“You must be seeing the light.” I smiled

“It’s prettier now than when I saw it 12 years ago. Look, Mr. Carter, there’s my Mom! I’m glad she’s not mad at me.”

“Why would she be mad?”

“I tricked her 12 years ago; when we saw that light. I told her I was ready to cross over with her, but I didn’t. I stayed behind when she disappeared into the light. I can’t leave James knowing how heartbroken he was.”

“You should go now, Grace.”

“Please tell James to take care of Sandra; I wish I could stay around to watch her grow up. Sandra needs him very much.”

“I will.”

“And that I will always love him and Sandra; Mom and I will always watch over them.”

“I will.”

“Please tell them that Mom says she loves them both very much too, and wish she could have spend time with her baby girl.”

“I will.”

“And, Mr. Carter?”

“Hmmmm?”

“Please protect my father from Mr. Michael, and help him to cross over, too? Mom and I will wait for him in the paradise.”

“What do you mean?”

“Daddy stayed here on Earth for revenge. I haven’t seen him since the accident. I tried to find him but I couldn’t. My ghost friends won’t help me because they are afraid of Mr. Michael. Will you help me?”

I was stunned by her revelation. Was that Michael really that powerful?

“I’ll see what I can do, sweetheart. It’s time for you to go now.”

“Thank you very much again, Mr. Carter. I’ll see you again. Take care of yourself.”

I smiled and watched Grace walked towards the center of the stage. She disappeared in front of our screaming fans, and I knew she was gone for good.

“I’ll see you again, kiddo.”