- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's another short chapter to introduce Nick's next mission....
February 5, 2007
West Covina, California


“Why don’t you just admit that we are lost?”

“Because we are not.”

“Why don’t you just call the real estate agent and ask for directions.”

“That is not necessary.”

“We have been driving for more than an hour and we are already late!”

“Rachel, I freaking got this, ok? Just shut the hell up.”

I smiled when I heard AJ finally yelled at his high-pitched girlfriend who wouldn’t stop talking. Though, I was not confident as well that AJ would really learn the directions just by staring at the map the real estate agent e-mailed to him. I shook my head a little, folded my arms and stared out of the window.

It had been a year since the Never Gone tour ended, and nothing much has changed except that I hated now to be alone. Being with friends all the time was my excuse so the ghosts wouldn’t bother me. That was exactly the reason why I thought it would be smarter to hang out with the couple who argues 24/7 than to be alone in my house.

“Nothing’s funny, Carter.” Rachel puckered her lips and rolled her eyes.

“J, I’ll just grab something to drink at the convenience store, want something?” I tapped AJ on his shoulder and waited for his answer.

“I’m good, man, thanks.” He answered without taking his eyes off the map.

“Rachel?”

“Orange juice.” She said without looking at me.

I got off the car and walked towards the convenience store. The old lady standing in front of the antique shop beside the convenience store caught my attention. She was staring blankly at the store with so much sadness and disappointment in her eyes. I wanted to ignore her, just like the other ghosts that were passing by, but I just couldn’t. There was something in her that made me want to help her.

“She had been like that for three years now.”

I looked behind me, and saw a middle aged man in a blue loose-fitting jumpsuit leaning against the wall. I gave him a small smile as if his presence was just normal. I guess it takes a lot now to startle me.

“You know her?” I asked him while putting my headset into my ear, another cover up so people won’t think I was talking to myself.

“No. She won’t talk to anybody,” He shrugged his shoulder “She’s there the moment the shop opens and will leave after they close.”

“How did you know she had been like that for 3 years now?”

“I died a couple of hours before her, and I was here when she took her last breath. The paramedics said it was heart attack.”

“She died here?”

“At the exact spot where she is standing,” We both looked at the old lady again “You are the only person who gave her a second look; everyone that was given an ability to see us ignores her. Son, I know this might be too much to ask, but do you think you can help her?”

I was speechless for a second. I have never encountered a selfless ghost yet, this was the first time someone asked my help for somebody else.

“I won’t promise you anything but I will try.”

“That’s fair enough. I’m Max by the way.”

“Nick Carter.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Nick.”

“Likewise. How about you, Max? Do you need any help?” I thought he deserve a reward or something.

“Nah, I’m good.” He smiled

“Have you seen the light?” I carefully asked him.

“Oh, so you know about the light? Who are you, Mr. Carter?” He laughed “Yes. I saw it a few hours after I died, but I ran away from it. I was scared because, you know, no one told me about it. I was running away from the light when I got here and saw her die.”

“Have you seen the light again after that?”

“I’ve been waiting for it.”

“Are you sure there is no unfinished business that might have kept the light from appearing?”

“None that I know of,” Then his lips slowly broke into a smile “Or maybe there is.” He said while looking at the old lady “You know, the light disappeared after I saw her die, and from that moment I felt like I was connected to her. I watch her watch the antique shop every day. Maybe it’s my mission to make sure that she’d get the help she needed.”

“Nick!” AJ waved at me “Let’s go, man.”

“Thanks for your time, Max. I’ll be back one of these days to help you.”

“Thank you, Nick. You have no idea how much you made me happy.”

“You’re welcome. I’ll see you around.” I waved my hand a little before walking towards AJ’s car.

“Where’s my orange juice?” Rachel demanded when I got back to the car.

“I’m sorry. My sister called and I forgot about the orange juice.”

“It’s ok, babe, we’ll be at your dream house in no time.” AJ reassured his girlfriend before she could start whining.

“Nick!” I looked out the window when I heard Max called me “She said Earrings.”

All I could do was nod.
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading! :)