- Text Size +
Elizabeth and Kate were trying to say goodbye to each other for the last five minutes. The two girls, despite the more or less 15 years age difference, really hit it off. I bet no one could guess that they just met two hours ago with the way they laugh or talk.

“You too, Nick.”

“What?” I asked dumbly when I heard my name. I stopped listening to their conversation moments ago.

“I said you are welcome here anytime.” Elizabeth answered with a wide smile. “Have a safe trip home and hope to see you soon.”

“Thank you.” I turned to Kate “Let’s go?” I was trying my best to avoid eye contact. I turned around and headed to the car even before she could answer.

“Visit me at the shop when you’re not busy,” Kate waved at her before following me in the car.

“Ready?” I asked Kate finished strapping her seatbelt. She nodded.

“Nick,” She said in a hesitant voice after minutes of silence “I am not going to force you to tell me what’s going on if you are not ready.”

I looked at her but she was looking out the car’s window. Kate didn’t push it any further when I told her earlier I was talking no one. But I saw in her eyes that she didn’t believe me.

“But I just want to ask one thing, if you don’t mind.”

“Sure, go ahead.”

“Does your mom really know Elizabeth’s mom?” Her voice was full of doubt which made it harder for me to lie.

“No,” It felt like something heavy was lifted off my shoulder. It always felt good when you tell the truth.

“Then how did you know about the earrings?” Her voice became interested.

I took a deep breath and sighed. “Let’s just say I was at the right place at the right time. I overheard people talking about Debbie who died three years ago. She had a heart attack in front of the antique shop. She was on her way to claim those earrings. My friend, Max, convinced me to help Debbie Jenkins whoever she was. So, we went inside the antique shop, and met Carol. She told us some information about the earrings which led me to you.”

Those weren’t lies, right? The only thing I kept from her was Max being a ghost.

“Remember when you saw me at your house? I was there to ask you about the earrings, but I couldn’t think of a nice way to do it.”

“Were you with your friend?”

“No, he had some other things to do that day.”

“Where he is now?”

“He’s gone. He went to a better place.” I smiled when I remembered Max.

“I’m sorry for asking you so many questions, Nickolas.”

“No worries, Kaitlyn.”

“I just hate lying to people, you know. So, I want to know the reason why I had to do it this time. Why we had to lie to Elizabeth. She’s a good woman.”

“I’m sorry,” That was all I could say. I wanted to tell Kate the whole truth, I knew she’d understand, but I wasn’t ready.

“Don’t be, it was for a good cause.” She smiled.

“Thanks. By the way, are you doing something tomorrow night?” I was hoping to lighten up the mood.

“Is that your way of asking girls for a date, Nickolas?” She teased.

“Maybe,” I smirked

“I’m sorry, but Valentine’s day and Christmas are the busiest time in the shop. But you are welcome to help me boxing cakes.” She offered.

“Sounds like a plan.” I said while pulling up on her bake shop’s parking lot “See you tomorrow?”

“Advance Happy Valentine’s Day, Nickolas,” She said before going out of the car “Just in case you won’t keep your promise and I don’t see you tomorrow.” She chuckled.

I left West Covina with a huge smile plastered on my face.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~~**~*~*~


“Andrea!”

I was surprised to see Andrea sitting comfortably on my living room couch with an impatient look on her face.

“I miss you,” I added with a silly smile on my face. I didn’t know how to welcome a ghost you hadn’t seen for almost a year. I would have hugged and kissed her, if she was alive. Andrea’s lips didn’t even twitch, it only meant one thing; I was in trouble.

“Joshua met a spirit that was looking for you,” Andrea started. She was referring to the eight year old boy that was assigned to her last year. Andrea was still my guardian but I told her to spend more time with Joshua. After all, that kid needed her more than I did.

“He asked Joshua to research how he can contact you.”

“I don’t know any Ghost in Georgia, Andrea.” I laughed at my own joke, but quickly stopped when Andrea remained serious.

“Nick,”

“Gary?” I looked over my shoulder and found him standing behind me “Are you the one looking for me?”

“Yes, I tried to call you but it seems you cannot hear me over the phone.”

“You were the one making the weird static sounds?”

“I was actually talking to you but it seems all you could hear were static noises.” He explained while throwing uneasy glances to Andrea, as if he was asking for help.

“He was trying to warn you,” Andrea added “Michael sent someone to stop you from helping Debbie and Max cross over.”

“But they crossed over already, nothing happened to me.” I tried to reason out, they might be worrying about me for nothing.

“Because I didn’t do my job,” A familiar man wearing blue long sleeves appeared from nowhere and butted in. I was sure that I saw him somewhere; I just can’t remember where and when. “I can’t bring myself to harm you, Nick.”

I closed my eyes and tried to remember where I saw him. I have helped so many ghosts for the last two years, and it was not easy to remember them all.

My eyes widened when I finally remembered the restaurant where I saw him arguing with a man.

“Oh my God! You’re Grace’s father?”
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! :)