- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It's been so long so Thank you for sticking around. Wrote this earlier in the office when I should have been working... lol

Hope you'll enjoy this one! :)
“Are you now ready to talk to him?”

I looked up and saw Andrea standing near the kitchen sink with a worried look on her face. I walked out on them more than thirty minutes ago and went here in the kitchen. As if I could really hide from three ghosts, right?

“Is that really necessary? I’m tired of hearing stuff about Michael. My life was Michael-free for almost a year now, and it couldn’t be better.”

“Swettie, trust me, I know what you’re feeling but this is for your own safety and the people in your life. Do this for the people you care about.”

Kate’s smiling face flashed before my eyes. If I wanted to pursue the beautiful friendship that we started, I had to make sure she will be safe everytime I’m around her. Then how could I forget little Grace? I promised her that I would keep his father safe from Michael. Now would be the best time to keep that promise.

“Why do you always know the right words to say? It’s scary sometimes.”

Andrea laughed “Come out when you’re ready, ok?”

I spent five more minutes in the kitchen before I decided to join them. They stopped talking to each other when they saw me.

“Thank you for giving me this chance to talk to you, Nick,” George started after I sat on the couch across him “I’ve been wanting to thank you for helping my little girl crossed over, and for helping James moved on.”

“If it wasn’t for my promise to Gracey that I would help you, I wouldn’t be here right now. She was very worried about you.”

“I know,” George nodded “But she was better off without me, she would be safe if we weren’t together. I don’t want her to suffer here with me, so I did everything I could so she would never find me.”

“You lost me there, buddy,” I answered sarcastically “Aren’t you working for Michael? Isn’t that your group’s mission? Convince people to stay on Earth and suffer.”

“Yes, you’re right. But that was not my intention for joining Michael’s army, I never wanted anyone to stay here on Earth and suffer. I wanted justice for my family, but I couldn’t bring myself to seek revenge. I met one of Michael’s people and he convinced me to join the group in exchange for the revenge that I wanted.” George looked away, guilt and regret were written all over his face “Michael never let me quit the group since then.”

“What happened to the guy?” Gary asked in an interested yet sympathetic tone

George shrugged his shoulders “I never had the courage to ask.”

“You’ve been on that group for more than a decade now. How am I supposed to believe you that you are really here to help me?” I challenged. He could be a spy after all.

“Actually, I was here because Michael gave me a mission. I was actually surprised that he gave me one because I am not an important member of the group. Usually, he would just ask me to get information but he never trusted a full mission to me.
He doubted my loyalty the day you helped my little princess crossed over, and this mission was his way to test me.”

“What’s your mission?”

“Stop Max and Debbie from crossing over at all cost.”

“Why didn’t you try to stop them?”

“I did,” George offered a half-smile “I talked to Max a couple of times, I even threatened him that I will hurt his family if he will cross over to the light. His response caught me off-guard, he said I didn’t have to threaten him because he would stay with his family if only he could. He also said he doesn’t belong here anymore so he had to go. He said he trust the kindness he could see in my eyes and he firmly believes that I wouldn’t hurt his family.”

George let out a deep sigh before he spoke again “Max made me realize what I really wanted, and what would make me happy. He made me realize that I belong with my family on the other side. We even visited James once, and I was convinced that James and his sister would be ok without me. He suggested something that I have never tried to do, and that is to forgive myself.”

“Then, why are you here? You already figured out what you wanted to do. The light will show up the moment you have learned to forgive yourself, and the people you hurt had forgiven you.”

“I am here to help you.”

“How?”

“We can talk about Michael, what he has been planning for you, so you can take precautions.”

“I’m just curious why me?”

“Because you are the biggest threat to him. Nick, you have helped more spirits than a hundred people who are like you combined. Most people who have a gift like yours ignores the spirits. For some people it would take years before they could finally convince their selves to help one. But you make it so easy, and it makes Michael very worried.”

“Why does he want the spirits to stay here on Earth, anyway? Does he get some super power for each spirit that he has convinced to stay?”

Leo, George and Andrea laughed out loud. I looked at them confused, did I say something wrong?

“No, Nick,” Andrea answered “He just wanted them to suffer like him.”

“If he is suffering here on Earth, why the hell would he still stay here?”

“Michael lived in 1950s, when he was forty-five he was diagnosed with Leukemia. His wife took care of him and never left his side. They promised each other that they would be together forever and they will not leave each other. When Michael died he chose to say even though he saw the light. He wanted to keep his promise to his wife, he decided to wait for her. His wife met a car accident fifteen years later and died on the spot. Unfortunately, Michael wasn’t with her that time. His wife crossed over immediately. Michael was furious and sad because of what happened. He waited fifteen years for nothing. I think up to now he still holds a grudge for his wife, he doesn’t want to see her anymore so he decided to stay here forever.” George explained.

“And he is convincing others to stay here and suffer with him?”

“Yes. He doesn’t want couples or family to see each other again on the other side. He doesn’t want other spirits to be happy.”

“I wonder why the other spirits are helping him.”

“They have their own stories, just like me, most of them are broken souls. Some have given up waiting for the light and wanted other spirits to suffer with them, too.”

“How can this be stopped?”

“This will be a long battle, Nick. If I were you I would just stick to helping spirits cross over. With every one spirit that they have convinced to stay, help two spirits to cross over.”

“Don’t worry, Nick, the guardians are doing everything we could to help you. Just continue helping those spirits with their unfinished business and we’ll do the rest.” Andrea assured me.

“It’s been a long day,” I yawned to let them know I was tired already “Thank you for your time, George. Will I still be seeing you tomorrow?”

“I’d stick around as long as you want me to. I can’t go back to Michael’s place anymore.”

“Gary?”

“I can hang out with George for a while, he has a lot of interesting stories to tell.” He answered with a playful smirk.

“Andrea?”

“I’d be here until I am sure you are safe with these guys.” She winked.

“Good night, y’all!”