- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally! after 4 months of being on a writing slump. :)
“Oh my God! I am so sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.” The girl said while looking at the small distance between the lamp post and my car.

“Oh yeah, that was obvious. Sticking your bloody face on someone’s car window is just a normal thing.”

“Nick!” Andrea used the tone my Mom always uses when she wanted me to apologize to her guest.

“I’m sorry.” I said in a low voice and sighed.

“I just wanted to ask if you have seen my boyfriend. He was just standing next to me but after a couple of seconds he was gone.”

I looked at Andrea and tried to ask her through my facial expression if the girl knew she was already dead. Before Andrea could respond, the girl continued explaining.

“We met an accident on our way home from a friend’s party. A drunk driver was stupid enough to run a red light, the jerk survived but we did not. I was the one driving and I should have listened to my father. He always tells me that when the traffic light turns green I should count until three before I step on the gas pedal. He said it is a safety measure just in case someone will run a red light.”

“When did the accident happen?”

“Maybe a couple of hours ago.” She shrugged. There was uncertainty in her eyes.

“Have you seen the light?”

“What light?”

“What’s the date today?” I had a feeling she died a long time ago.

“January 18, 2005.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, it’s my friend’s 23rd birthday. I told you we just attended her party and we are on our way home. Why are you asking me these questions? You are starting to freak me out.”

“Today is Valentine’s day. February 14, 2007.” I tried to say it as calmly as possible.

“What? You gotta be kidding me. Are you from the future or something?” She forced a fake laugh but I could see the confusion in her eyes.

“Miss,”

“Vicky. Victoria Fitzgerald.”

“I’m Nick Carter.”

“Now I know why you looked so familiar, you are the tall blonde one from the Backstreet Boys.”

“Yep, that’s me.” I gave her my I’m-proud-to be-a-Backstreet-Boy-kind-of-smile.

“I didn’t expect a celebrity to be talking to a ghost.” She chuckled

“Ghosts are part of my daily life.”

“Can you help me look for Jake, Nick?”

“Of course, I will do whatever I can to help you find him. So, the accident happened two years ago.”

“Was it really that long? It really seems like it happened a couple of hours ago and Jake was just here beside me.”

I nodded. “If it is okay with you, please tell me what happened and give me information about Jake.”

“Jake and I attended Sarah’s birthday party. He had three bottles of beer, so I volunteered to drive. The accident happened right in this intersection, the drunk driver who hit us came from that direction.” She pointed the road on her left. “The impact was so strong that it made our car turn twice. My head hit the windshield and I died on the spot. Jake was still breathing then, I remember looking at him and praying that he would survive. It took around ten minutes before the paramedics came. It was too late, Jake was already standing beside me with a big smile on his face. We started walking away from the scene because we couldn’t look at our lifeless body covered with blood. We were just happy that we were together. Then, when I looked beside me Jake was gone. I tried looking for him but I couldn’t find him. By that time the ambulance drove off with our bodies, the police one by one left the scene, and before I knew it I was alone. I just want to know that Jake is safe wherever he is. I want to know why he left me. Is he already in heaven?”

“The light I was asking you earlier, you haven’t seen it?”

“I don’t know what you are talking about.”

“Vicky, when people die, there is a light that appears before them. It is like a guide for you, it will bring you to the place where you should be after your life here on Earth.”

“You mean heaven?”

“If that’s what you believe in, then, yes.”

“You think Jake already saw the light and went in without me?”

“I am not sure yet. But I will find out for you.”

“Thank you.” She seemed really hurt by the idea that her boyfriend left her all alone.

“Would you like to come with us? The investigation might take a while. Andrea will keep you company until we have answers.”

“I’d love to, but I can’t.”

“Why?”

“I’ve been trying to get out of this place to look for Jake, but no matter how I try, I couldn’t get past those traffic lights. It seems like I am confined in this place.”

“Do you feel electrocuted when you try to get past those traffic lights?”

“No,” She shook her head “But every time I reach those traffic lights, I’ll find myself on the same spot where I died. Then I will try again but it just keeps on repeating. Seems like I am not allowed to get 500 meters away from where I died.”

“I am sorry. I’ll do my best to help you find Jake.”

“I am really sorry, Nick. I didn’t mean to put you in trouble.” She said before she disappeared.
I looked over my shoulder and saw a police car approaching. I looked at my car and hoped there won’t be any problem.
Chapter End Notes:
thanks for reading!