- Text Size +
“I must have been one hell good of a son.” Vince whispered as he stared at his crying mother giving his lifeless body small kisses on the face.

“Do you remember her? How did you know she was your mother?”

He shook his head “I still don’t remember her, but my heart somehow knew her.”

“Do you want me to talk to her? I can tell her whatever you want to say.”

“No. Let her grieve for a moment. No parent should ever experience the death of their child. I can’t imagine losing my little girl.”

We both froze for a moment, and then looked at each other. He looked confused, surprised and hurt.

“I have a daughter.” He whispered. “I have a daughter. Oh, God!” Vince shook his head and ran away from the morgue.

“What happened?” Jessica asked me when I approached her desk.

“Vince has a daughter. He just remembered it now, and I know how much it hurt him knowing he left a little girl behind. Let’s give him the time and space he needs.”

“What about his mother?”

“He told me to give her time to grieve. They are both heartbroken, and I want to give them time.”

She nodded. I felt my phone vibrated in my pocket. There was a message from Brian.

“Oh, shit.”

“Why?”

“Brian wanted to drive me to the airport. He would be in my hotel room in like 2 hours. I have a very big favor, Jess. Please do everything you can to know Vince’s address in LA or where the funeral might be held. In case Vince come back here, please tell him to fly with his mother and his body, and I will meet him in LA.” I took the pen and a hospital flyer about some medical procedure, and wrote my mobile number. “Call me for any updates.”

“You’re giving me your personal mobile number?”

“Why not? We’re friends and I trust you.” I winked at her before tapping her shoulder. “Take care. I’ll see you again.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You should have flown with your body and your mother.” I hissed while scratching my ears. Vince wouldn’t stop talking, and all I wanted was to nap. He was sitting on the aisle floor of the plane, and wickedly grinning every time the flight attendants walked all over him.

“And watch my Mother cry her eyes out? I can’t stand looking at her, Nick. It makes me feel guilty of leaving them so soon. If only I could remember why I stupidly crossed that street.”

“I’m really sorry, Vince.”

“Don’t be. Everything happens for a reason, maybe my family is better off without me. Enough of this drama, if you want to sleep, go ahead. I’ll just hang out with the beautiful flight attendants at the back. Can’t wait to hear the newest gossip in town.” He tried to giggle like a girl but failed. I smiled and nod at him.

The flight went smoothly as expected. Jessica texted Vince’s address a while ago. She said no plans were made yet for the funeral. Vince’s mother was still coordinating with some airlines for the transport of Vince’s body.

“Guess who had a mind blowing sex with a colleague’s boyfriend?”

“I don’t want to know.”

He laughed and tried to wrap his arms wound my shoulder. “You should have listened to these girls and you will be amazed on the things they talk about.”

“Ready to face your family?”

“Now?” His facial expression changed and showed uncertainty. “Don’t you want to go home and rest, or change clothes, or something?”

“Well, I am a bit tired but I thought you want to do it right away. Okay, we’ll go tomorrow.”

“On a second thought, I wanna see my daughter.” His eyes lit up and smiled.

“To your house, then.” I smiled at him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Good luck to us, Nick.” Vince said nervously after I knocked at the door twice.

“Yes?” A blonde woman in her 30s opened the door. Judging by the way Vince looked at her, I assume she was his wife.

“Hi, my name is Nick Carter. I am a friend of Vince. I heard what happened to him. I am very sorry for your loss.” I tried to offer my hand for a handshake but she just stared at it.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know you.” She slowly shook her head, and took one step backwards.

“I just met him a year ago, and we haven’t been introduced to each other personally but I heard good things about you.”

“I’m sorry, Mister, you got the wrong address. Vince and I have been separated for a year now, you might have confused me with his new partner. You should give your condolences to her.”

The woman was about to close the door when she saw her daughter approaching them. “Violet, go back to the kitchen and finish your food, please.”

The red-haired girl who was about three or four years old continued to walk towards me. Her lips slowly broke into a big smile while her eyes were full of excitement. She looked like she just acknowledged someone’s presence.

“Daddy!!!!!!”
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for still reading!