- Text Size +
“Damn it, Carter. What the hell is happening to you?” There was a mixture of concern, fear and annoyance on AJ’s voice.

I took a deep breath, and with all the courage left in my body I looked up again. I was relieved to see that she was gone. I blinked twice and looked around just to make sure she was really gone.

“What?” AJ was losing his patience.

“A freaking spider crawled into my face.” I didn’t know why, but I couldn’t bring myself to tell AJ I had just seen a ghost.

AJ chuckled “Dude, when did you become Brian? I thought you saw a ghost or something.”

I shot him a dirty look, and for a second I was tempted to tell him the truth. But then again I realized that it could have been one of his pranks, the girl must have used a prosthetic mask or something. That was the only logical reason I could think of for AJ’s quick appearance to the scene. And I would never admit to his face that it scared the hell out of me, no, not in this lifetime.

“I’ll just be around in case there’ll be more spiders.” AJ teased me as he walked away.

I wonder how the hell that guy managed to change reactions so quickly. One minute he was overly concerned, then another minute he’d be teasing you like crazy.

I grabbed my things and went inside the shower room. Hopefully, one warm shower would make everything fine. My heart was still beating fast when I started to undress. I kept reassuring myself that what I saw wasn’t real. I wanted to believe that I’ve been tricked by my own eyes.

“Nick,”

“Holy shit!” I jumped when I heard that sweet voice, and saw the pretty brunette standing inside the shower room. My hands were quick to cover my exposed manhood. “What the fuck are you doing here?”

She looked normal now, without blood and everything. She looked at me with pleading eyes.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Yeah, that was kind of obvious.” I answered while reaching for my towel. I wrapped it around my waist as fast as I could.

“Please, I really need your help.”

“Look….” I realized I didn’t know what her name was yet. I looked at her hoping she would at least supply that information.

“Patricia. Patricia Jasperson. Patty will do.”

“Patty,” I slightly nodded “I really don’t know how I can help you. I don’t want to be rude but can you please get out of here?”

“I have been waiting for this day to come for four years. I have been waiting for someone to see me since February 17, 2001. Do you remember that date, Nick?”

“Should I?”

“No. I didn’t think you would remember, but your fans who came here to see you that day surely did. I’ll never forget that day.”

I had no idea what she was talking about; the date she mentioned didn’t ring a bell at all. Then I suddenly remembered that Black and Blue tour was around that time. Was she talking about that one?

“Yes, the black and blue tour.” She answered as if she just read my mind. “My mom didn’t know I came here to watch the concert. She probably thinks I just ran away with some guy. That’s why I really need your help.”

“Damn girl, you’re confusing me.” I complained. She was giving me a headache.

“I died in this arena, Nick. I slipped in the bathroom and my head slammed on the floor. My mom didn’t know I went to the concert.”

“I’m sorry. I just find it hard to believe that you’re already dead.” I smiled a bit.

“Want me to show you again what I looked like when I died?” She grinned

“No, no, no, no,” I shook my head and pointed at her “I guess you could stay that way. Normal.”

“Please, Nick.”

“Ok, for argument sake let’s say you really are dead, and I don’t need any more proof, ok?” I paused and waited for her to nod or say yes. I didn’t want her to change into being scary while I was explaining. “How am I supposed to tell your mother? I go to your house, ring the bell and when your Mom answers the door I’d be like ‘Hey Mrs. Jasperson, my name is Nick Carter and I am here to tell you that your daughter Patty died in the Target Center on February 17, 2001 at one of my concerts.’ Sounds good?” I folded my arms and waited for her to answer.

She looked down on her feet with sadness and disappointment written all over her face.

“Fine!” I threw my hands in the air “If it will make you feel better, I’ll think about it.”

I knew it was mean because I didn’t intend to keep my promise. I just wanted her out of the shower room so bad. Not that I didn’t believe her, though it was hard for me to accept that I did. Hell, I never saw a ghost in my entire life. And what she wanted for me to do was freaking hard.

I felt guilty though when her face lit up and she broke into a smile

“Thanks, Nick.”

I frowned when she didn’t move an inch.

“Patty, I said I’ll think about it.”

“I know. I’m waiting for your decision.”

“What?” I spoke louder than usual “You might want to wait outside.”

“Oh it’s ok, I’ll just wait here.” She leaned against the wall and made herself comfortable.

“If you don’t mind I’m trying to take a shower. If you don’t get out now I wouldn’t even consider helping you.”

“Nick, I really need your answer now. I wouldn’t be able to talk to you anymore once you get out of this arena.” She gave me an apologetic smile “I know this is really hard for you, and if only I have another choice I wouldn’t bother you.”

I stared at her for a moment. She was telling the truth, I could see it in her eyes that she was not comfortable bugging me.

“You mean you can’t follow me outside?”

“I am stuck in here for some reason. Whenever I try to get out of this place I felt like I am being electrocuted. I miss my mom and my baby sister so much, if only I could see them for one last time. But knowing that they could move on with their lives once they found out that I’m gone for good is enough for me. I trust you, Nick.” She gave me a warm smile and headed to the door. Her smile was enough to make me feel more guilty.

I finished my shower, got dressed and ran to AJ’s dressing room. I didn’t leave his side until we reached the hotel, and it gave poor Patty no chance to talk to me again. She stood in the backdoor with so much sadness in her eyes when we were about to leave Target Center. I whispered sorry when I walked past her. I knew I broke her heart, but there was nothing I could do to help her. I left Target Center with a heavy heart.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! :)