- Text Size +
“I guess you can tell her, Nick.” Patty spoke after a couple of minutes, breaking the silence.

I wasn’t comfortable telling anyone about my secret, but I trust this girl. I cleared my throat, and tried to sound as calm as possible.

“She’s here, Mrs. Jasperson.” I waited for her to scream or freak out, but it didn’t happen. She just looked at me with questioning eyes. “I am not really sure if you’re gonna believe me, but I can see ghosts. I saw Patty in the Target Center four days ago and asked for my help.”

“Patty?” She asked while looking around “Sweetheart?”

“She’s right beside you.” I told her.

“Nick, please tell her I’m sorry I didn’t tell her about my plan to watch your show in Minneapolis, and that I love her very, very much.”

“I love you too, baby. I miss you so much.” Mrs. Jasperson replied after I told her Patty’s exact words.

“And please tell her I need to go now.” I shot Patty a questioning look, she told me last night that she’d stay here and will watch over her Mother and sister. “They don’t have to know I’ll be around, Nick. I don’t want them to always depend on my presence; I don’t know until when I could stay here on earth. Michael told me something about crossing over and the light that would bring me to heaven, paradise or afterlife world.”

I almost rolled my eyes when I heard that name. There’s something about this Michael that I didn’t like.

“Patty, I’ll always love you and we will see each other soon.” Mrs. Jasperson said when I told her it was time to say her goodbyes. “Will she be alright?”

“Yes.” I didn’t know where the confidence came from; it might be from Patty’s smile “She’ll be in a happy place.” I wasn’t too sure if there’s really a place like heaven, but I am confident that there was no suffering in the afterlife world wherever it was.

“Oh my God, Nick Carter!”

I froze when I heard my name while Patty smiled from ear to ear. I looked over my shoulder and saw a teenager who looked like Patty standing on the doorway.

“What the hell did you do to my mom?” She angrily asked when she saw her mom was crying

I panicked when I realized what could happen if Mrs. Jasperson would spill my secret to her daughter. The whole world might find out that I was a freak. I looked at Patty to ask for her help, but she was so calm. She was staring at her younger sister with disbelief.

“She’s grown so much.” Patty said dreamily “She’s not twelve anymore, Nick.”

“Ruth,” Mrs, Jasperson stood up as she wiped the tears from her eyes. I nervously waited for her answer “Nick didn’t do anything to me, he got lost and was asking for directions when I received a bad news. Actually, he’s sweet enough to comfort me.”

“Really? I’m sorry, Nick.” Ruth sweetly smiled at me “You guys have a show later, right?”

“Right. In Budweiser Events Center in Loveland.”
“Can I have a picture with you? I can’t wait to tell everyone Nick Carter was at my house.” She pulled her cellphone from her bag’s pocket.

“Sure.” I replied

“No, Ruth,” We both stopped when Mrs. Jasperson spoke “That was so rude of you to ask.”

“It’s just a picture, Mom, and I bet Mr. Carter here is so used to it.”

“It’s fine, Mrs. Jasperson.” I widely opened my arms and invited Ruth for a hug.

“I said no.” Mrs. Jasperson replied firmly “Go to your room now, Ruth, and pack for a two day stay in Minneapolis. We have to be in the airport in less than two hours.”

“Minneapolis?” Ruth asked confused

“I told you I received some news about your sister, please just pack your things.”

“Oh my God!” Ruth covered her mouth with her left hand, she might have realized something bad happened to her sister. She quickly picked up her bag and ran to her room.

“I just don’t want her to have evidence that you were on our house, Nick. She might ask questions once we’re on Minneapolis, and I might tell her about you without thinking.”

“Thank you.” I sincerely said.

“Patty, don’t worry about Ruth, sweetheart. She’d be fine, I’ll take care of her. She misses you a lot too and you know she loves you very much.”

“She said she loves you both very much too and she’ll always watch over you.”

“Thank you so much for your help.” Mrs. Jasperson hugged me and planted a small kiss on my cheek.

“You’re welcome, Mrs. Jasperson. I am really sorry for your loss. Patricia is a very special girl, I wish I met her when she was still alive.”

“Goodbye, Nick. I’ll never forget you.” Mrs. Jasperson walked me to the door.

“Can I visit you next time me and the boys are in town?”

“You now have a family in Longmont, Colorado, Nick.” Mrs. Jasperson went back to the living room and handed me a piece of paper when she got back “Here’s our number, feel free to call me if you need anything.”

“Goodbye, Mrs. Jasperson.” I hugged her “I’ll call you in a few days.”

She nodded and smiled before she closed the door.

“Thank you so much, Nicky.” Patty spoke behind me “You pulled it off.”

“We’re lucky your Mom believed me right away.”

“She believes in supernatural stuff,” Patty laughed “So, this is goodbye then?”

“I fucking hate goodbyes,”

“Cheer up, who knows, I might show up in one of your shows,” She smiled at me “I got your tour schedule right in here.” She tapped her temple with her left index finger.

“Just always look normal, ok?” She nodded and laughed “No blood?”

“Promise. I wish I can hug you.”

“Me too.”

“Oh my God, what is that?” Patty said pointing to
something on their garden.

“Um, flowers?”

“No.” She shook her head and pointed at it again. “Can you see that white bright light? It’s so beautiful, Nick. It makes me feel so peaceful.”

“I don’t see anything, Patty.”

She stared at it with so much admiration, excitement and fascination on her face. She looked at me.

“Do you think that’s the light Michael was referring to?”

“I honestly don’t know, Patty.” I felt stupid for not being able to help out. How can I answer her if I can’t even see the light.

“Look, Daddy’s there and he’s calling me.” She sound like a seven year old girl.

I looked again at the spot where she said the light was, and saw a figure that looked like a man. It seemed like a shadow or something, but I was sure it was a man. He was motioning for Patty to come to him. He was smiling.

“I think it’s time for me to go, Nick.”

“How about your Mom and sister?” I really suck at letting go of people close to my heart.

“Dad said they’d be fine, and we can watch over them. I gotta go now before I lose my chance to cross over.” She took a step closer to me and hugged me.

My eyes widened when I felt the coldness of her body, and the warmth of her embrace. She was able to hug me.

“Dad said I could do it if I just concentrate hard.” She was grinning “I’m glad I got the chance to hug you, and for the record I am a Nick’s girl since 1997.”
“I’ll miss you.”

She smiled “I’ll miss you too, Nick, and we will see each other again but hopefully not so soon. How about in 50 years?” She giggled

“Sounds like a date to me.” I smiled

“I could never thank you enough, Nick. Michael was right you have a pure heart.”

Pure heart? Didn’t this girl know my life was a mess for the past years? Does cheating your girlfriend, drowning yourself in alcohol, snorting drugs and lying to almost everyone were the criteria of having a pure heart? Because if those were the criteria I sure as hell have a pure heart.

“I gotta go. I love you.”

She blew me a kiss before she ran towards the man waiting for her. They both disappeared after a few seconds. I took a deep breath and let out a heavy sigh, going back to the concert’s venue would be one hell of a long drive.

I couldn’t help but cry while driving back to the events center. I never experienced something that beautiful in my entire life. I never felt this good because I helped someone. It felt wonderful to be a good man.

Dianne told me the guys were being interviewed by some people from the local television network, when I gave her back the car’s key. I thanked her a hundred times before going to the dressing room where the interview was being held.

“Thank God you’re here, Carter.” AJ exaggeratedly said when I walked in to the room.

“Where have you been?” Kevin asked me in a calm voice but his eyes showed how pissed he was.

“I visited a friend I haven’t seen for a long time.” I casually replied, and took my seat on the couch besides Brian. I wasn’t scared of Kevin because this interview wasn’t planned, it was our free time. But if I forgot to attend an interview that was on our schedule, that’s a different story.

“I didn’t know you have friends here in Colorado.”
Howie butted in; I didn’t know if he was trying to cool things down or adding fuel to the fire.

“Nick has always a place to stay in every state.” AJ smirked when I caught his eyes.

“That’s enough, you guys, let’s continue this.” Brian said and motioned to the interviewer to go ahead. I patted my best friend’s back, my way of saying thank you.

“So, Nick, what is your message to all your fans?”

“Um,” I looked at the camera and smiled sweetly “To all the girls out there, please make sure your Mom always knows where you are going. Don’t even try to sneak out just to watch our show. We love to see you in our shows but your safety is our main concern. Thank you, and I love each and everyone of you.”

Kevin looked embarrassed by my answer, Howie frowned with his mouth open, Brian looked at me as if I lost my mind and AJ almost fell out his chair. The boys wouldn’t understand what I meant, but I just don’t want another Patty.
Chapter End Notes:
I'm gonna miss Patty. Thanks for reading. :)