- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
NC is off to his second mission
February 16, 2005
Comcast Center
Boston, MA

I stopped strumming my guitar and threw it in the couch behind me. I looked down at my wrist to check the time, it was still an hour and a half before sound check. I was really bored to death and didn’t know what else to do. It had been two weeks since Patty crossed over, but I still miss her.

This was definitely one of the those times I wish I still share the tour bus with the guys. I grabbed my phone from the table and thought of calling the guys, maybe they were in the mood to hang out with me. I thought who to call first; Leighanne was still on tour with us so Brian would definitely decline my offer. Same goes for Howie, his girlfriend Leigh joined the tour yesterday, they might be making up for the lost time. AJ might be flirting with our opening act, and since I believe she was so young for him, I don’t want to hang out with AJ when she’s around. I let out a deep sigh, threw my phone back to the table and decided to go inside the concert venue. Kevin might be there ironing out the small details before soundcheck.

Our tour busses were parked at the back of the concert venue, and since it was just a couple of meters away from the back door entrance of the arena; I didn’t feel the need of informing my bodyguard where I was going. I was slightly disappointed when I found out Kevin wasn’t on the stage, but smiled when I saw the drums were already set up. It had been months since the last time I played it.

“Strolling around without a bodyguard; when will you learn, Nick?”

I stopped walking when I heard that familiar voice. I looked behind me and found out it came from a man who was leaning against the wall while watching the roadies set up the stage. He was probably in his mid 40s, taller than me by around two inches, and have a muscular body I would love to have. A smile slowly formed in my lips when I remembered who it was.

“Hey there, Big Ben!”

Benjamin Jackson, or Big Ben as we fondly call him, was the head of our security group since 1998 until the Black and Blue days. I even wondered why we didn’t hire this guy when we started the Never Gone tour. You wouldn’t see him around us but he had the final say when it comes to security matters concerning us. It was his decision that Josh, Marcus, Q and the rest of our bodyguards would obey.

Instead of returning my smile, his head was creased in confusion. He held up his right hand to stop me from approaching him.

“You can see me?” He sounded so surprised that I wasn’t able to answer him right away.

“Nick!”

I was ready to answer ‘of course’ when I heard Josh called out my name, and saw him running towards me.

“It’s a good thing you’re here, Josh, or I would have received a long lecture from Big Ben.”

I smiled when I remembered that one incident from the Into the Millenium tour. We were in South America and I couldn’t remember exactly where. I wanted to go shopping but my designated bodyguard, Marcus, wouldn’t let me. I sneaked out and was found at one of the shopping centers after three hours. Poor Marcus had a very long lecture from Big Ben for hours, I was relieved the guy wasn’t suspended because of me. I wouldn’t forget what Big Ben told me.

“If you are expecting a lecture from me, you’d be disappointed. It is not my job to tell you not to sneak out, Nick. But it is my job to make sure you wouldn’t succeed to sneak out. A lot could happen in those three hours, and I would hate myself forever if something happened to you. You are old enough to know what is wrong and what is right, but still I will make sure this won’t happen again.”

“What did you say about Big Ben, Nick?” Josh asked and snapped me out of my thoughts.

I looked at Big Ben, he had his finger on his lips while shaking his head.

“Nothing,” I said; I think I was confused as Josh was.

“You remembered him too?” I nodded “Maybe because we miss him and this was his hometown. May his soul rest in peace.” Josh whispered the last part but it was loud enough to make my head spin.

“What did you say?”

“This was his hometown, so maybe we all think of him subconsciously.”

“No, the last thing you said. May his souls rest in peace? Was that what you said?”

“Yes. Don’t tell me you didn’t know?”

“Didn’t know what?” I looked at Big Ben again but he just shrugged his shoulder.

“He died two years ago, Nick. Heart attack.”

It felt like everything was spinning around. I had to step back and leaned against the wall, with both my hands in my head. The news about Big Ben’s death wasn’t easy to take and his presence in front of me made it all crazier.

“It’s ok, son.” Big Ben whispered to me

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I was actually surprised that you could see me.”

“We told your management, Nick. It was during the break of the band and you guys were doing your solo things, so we let your management relay the bad news to you. We thought you all knew.”

Big Ben and Josh answered the same time, I guess I didn’t make it clear to whom my question was directed to.

“I need to rest, and inform the group.”

I turned around and walked towards my tour bus. I texted Howie, Kevin, Brian and AJ to meet me at my tour bus, and I had an important news to tell them. Josh was the one who explained everything to them. We spent the next hour crying and talking about Big Ben, how he meant to us and how we loved and appreciated him. Big Ben was there listening to us, and he looked happy and overwhelmed upon hearing everything we said.

I smiled at him, and this time he returned it with a warm smile.

“Tell your bandmates I loved all of you as my own sons.”

“We know.” I mouthed at him and he nodded.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!