- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with another chapter! Enjoy :)
Chapter 5


After their honeymoon ended, Amanda went back to work at her night club and Nick went to work on his new album....he was still recording a bit and thinking about album titles. For a few weeks everything was normal until Amanda started to feel sick. It started like the flu....she felt nauseous in the morning and most of the early afternoon.

"Are you okay?" AJ asked as he set the baby down in her playpen in front of the TV and put on Sesame Street for her to watch. He sat down on the couch and watched Celine play with a stuffed animal Nick had given her.

"What do you mean, AJ?" Amanda asked, holding her sour stomach. She hated feeling like this and somewhat knew what it was...but didn't want to tell anyone until she was sure. Amanda was surprised it had happened so quickly....she knew she had promised Nick a son, but wasn't expecting it right now.

"You've been getting sick a lot lately, maybe you should see a doctor?" AJ suggested.

"I don't need to, I am fine." Amanda repeated as the bile rose in her throat. She didn't like mourning sickness, she already knew that it wasn't the flu. AJ raised an eyebrow and shook his head.

"You're full of....well, you know....." he said, his eyes falling on the baby as he remembered Nick and Amanda didn't allow cursing in front of the kids.

"I'm not going." she protested as she sat down on the couch near her daughter, smiling while she watched her play. Celine was almost two, she was growing up fast. Celine had her father's golden hair and his smile....but her mother's personality. She could sense something was going on even though she was too young to understand. Amanda looked up to see AJ dialing on his cell phone.

"Who are you calling?" she asked.

"I am gonna call Nick and see what he thinks. He doesn't know you're sick, does he?" AJ retorted, his eyes showing disapproval. Amanda looked away, she knew she shouldn't keep secrets but also knew AJ had a bad habit of blabbing.

"Fine, I will go to the stupid doctor if it will make you feel better." Amanda sighed. She packed up the baby and AJ took her to the doctor's office around noon. After the nurse took some blood and urine the doctor talked to her alone.

"Mrs Carter....you mentioned you have been feeling sick but only in the morning. When was the last time you had intercourse?" the doctor asked. Amanda's face fell....she had a feeling that she was pregnant but went along with the discussion.

"A few weeks ago on my honeymoon. Do you think I am pregnant?" she asked.

"I don't think, Mrs. Carter. I know. Congratulations. You are a few weeks along already." the doctor explained. Amanda left the office in silence.....thinking back before she and Nick had gotten married. Amanda had told him she didn't want any more children but changed her mind when she knew how much having a son meant to Nick....how he wanted to give him what he never had as a child. She just needed to think about how to tell him.

"Well, what did the doctor say?" AJ asked when they met in the waiting room where he sat with Celine.

"I am perfectly healthy." Amanda replied, taking the baby from him and walking outside.

"Come on, Amanda. I am worried about you....are you pregnant?" AJ asked. He was around for her pregnancy with Celine, how could he not have noticed before? The two of them went back to the house, AJ trying to get her to tell him what was going on.

"I don't know what you're talking about." she said with a wink. AJ took that to mean he was right and to stop pressing the issue.

"Okay, so when are you going to tell him then?"

"When the time is right." Amanda replied with a smile. That night after dinner, Nick came home late from doing a photo shoot for a magazine in Orlando. He was tired and a bit stressed so Amanda wasn't surprised when he popped open a beer.

"Rough day?" Amanda asked. Nick didn't drink much since his darker days a few months ago. He tried to stay away but every so often he and Amanda shared a drink together.

"Yeah....Howie is all over my ass about this album. I hope everything goes well, I have been working so hard since the car accident to get myself back in line." Nick replied, kissing her gently.

"I know you have and I am proud of you, you came a long way."

"Here, I got you one. Join me?" Nick asked wearily, holding out the beer bottle for her.

"No, thanks." she said. Nick looked at her and she saw his eyes fall to her stomach, where her hand was resting. She knew she wasn't showing yet but she knew what Nick was thinking.

"Are you?" Nick asked.

"Am I what, Nick?" she smiled. Nick's eyes went wide and the beer bottle fell to the floor, breaking on impact as the amber liquid seeped onto the carpet.

"Baby, that's wonderful!" he said as he came over to kiss her.

"You're making a mess..." she teased.

"I'm so happy....this is gonna be great. I will be with you every step of the way....it won't be like last time. I am ready this time." Nick gushed as he held her.

"What do you mean, like last time? Nick....you gave Celine up...."

"I meant that I will take care of you and be here for you and the baby. Like a dad should do." Nick replied. Even though he had gotten his rights to his daughter, Nick regretted every day putting Lance's name on the birth certificate. He wished he could go back and change it....but it was in the past now. He didn't want to be like his father. Nick was ready this time, he just hoped Amanda was ready as well.