- Text Size +

 

Confessions

 

Soon enough, they were walking into the airport. AJ and Nick needed to check in at the United Airlines and Kate needed to go to Delta. Julie went with Kate to get her bags checked in. They agreed to meet at the top of the Terminal B escalator, since the guys were flying out of that one. Kate would need to go to Terminal A after they left.

Julie and Kate stood in line at the Delta counter, waiting for the complaining family in front of them, to move on. Julie felt her phone vibrate in her back pocket. She pulled it out and began laughing when she read the text.

ALEX: I miss you all ready.

“What is so funny,” Kate asked, just as her own phone let her know she had a message. Julie read it to her as she pulled her phone out of her pocket. Nick had sent her the same message. Before she had a chance to reply, though, another agent had come to the counter and called her forward. Julie pulled Kate’s check in bag to the scale and hoisted it up. The agent handed Kate her ticket and they headed to the escalator.

The sight at the top was breathtaking. Both guys stood there, smiles on their faces, as the girls rode upwards to them. Kate was first off and she stepped right into Nick’s waiting arms. AJ had stepped to the side to allow Nick access, but almost pushed them out of the way when Julie reached the top. Nick laughed at his eagerness,

“What, you couldn’t wait for me to move?” Nick teased.
“No.”

Julie laughed as she threw her arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. She didn’t care that there were people watching. This was her last few minutes with him, and she wanted them to be good. She leaned in to him so only he could hear.

“So, is it still called the Mile High Club if it is in the airport bathroom?” She teased him. His ears turned red, something she had not expected.

“Don’t tease me like that. I don’t think you have the balls to do that.”

She looked down in mock shame. He was right. There was no way she would ever do that, but it was funny to joke about it.

They moved away from the escalator and towards the guys terminal. The couples stood a few feet apart to allow each other some privacy.
Kate had resolved to send Nick off with smile so they joked about his upcoming shows.

"You know it is totally embarrassing when you lay across the girls lap while you have them onstage." Kate said.
"Hey I didn't hear you complain up there."
"Well I had an advantage over most girls." She stated.
He raised an eyebrow.
"I spent the night before making out with a bad boy. After that being onstage was nothing." She couldn’t hide her smile. Nick bursted out laughing.
"Oh I almost forgot!" He said, "I need a picture"

He pulled out his phone, taking a couple of pictures of her. He interrupted Julie and AJ to have them take pictures of him and Kate together.

Kate gave Julie her camera, while AJ took pictures on Nick's phone. Kate and Nick returned the favor, taking pictures of AJ and Julie.

All too soon they heard that the guy's flight was boarding. After one last kiss the guy’s headed off thru security. Julie started to turn away.
"Wait! He always waves at the gate." Kate said, repeating a line from her favorite movies, ‘Ever After’.

The girls watched as both guys turned for one last glimpse. They waved to each other and Julie and Kate burst out laughing.
Kate's phone buzzed.

NICK: What's so funny?

Kate texted back about the movie reference as the girls walk to the food court.
NICK: Before I forget, can I get your address?
KATE: email or snail mail?
NICK: Both.
She sent him both.
NICK: Sorry flight's leaving. Text you when I land.
KATE: Have a safe flight!
NICK: You too! Love you!
KATE: Luv u 2!

Kate looked across the table to see Julie had been texting with AJ.

Julie sighed, putting her phone on the table.
"So now that the guys are gone you want to tell me what's going on?" Julie said in a motherly voice.
Kate took a deep breath. It seems so much harder to say out loud.

"I'm pregnant." She said quietly.
Julie was stunned speechless. It took a minute before she was able to process Kate’s confession.

"What? How do you know?" Julie sputtered.
Kate held up her broken wrist.
"They did a blood test to check before they did x-rays."
"Did you tell Nick?"
"No."
"NO?! How could you not tell him?"

Kate sighed. Julie knew it was time to back off. Kate never did well with confrontation and this was a lot to have held in for the past 24 hours.

"I wanted him to be able to walk away without feeling guilty."
Julie raised an eyebrow at her. Kate continued explaining.
"Look, we both know that no matter what happened this week, as amazing as it was, that there's a chance we'll never see them again. I know, I know, that sounds negative but it's true. I just didn't want him to feel obligated to me or worse blame me for doing it on purpose."

"Why would he think you did it on purpose?"
"Well, I'm not on birth control."
"Yeah and did he ever provide a condom?"
"No."
"Well he's just as much to blame then." Just then, Julie realized that AJ had never used one either. Knots began to form in her stomach. Kate’s next words brought her thought back to the moment.


"I know, but there are also hundreds of women out there that would have his baby just to get his money or even be connected in some small way for the rest of their lives. I don't want him to think I'm that kind of person."
"So what are you going to do?" Julie asked, now understanding why she never said a thing about it.
Kate shrugged. "Go home."
"Are you ever going tell him?" Julie asked.
"If he comes back, I will. But you have to swear not to tell AJ."
"What? Why not?"
"Cause, he'll tell Nick and I don't want him coming back because of that. If he comes back, I want it to be for me."
"And what of he doesn't come back?"
"Well, I have good health insurance and I can take maternity leave. I'll convert my office to the baby's room and put my desk in the library."
"Wow, you have thought this thru."
"Yeah, I didn't sleep much last night." Kate confessed.
"I didn't sleep at all, but it was a beautiful sunrise this morning." Julie let out a sigh. “You know, no matter what happens with Nick, I am always here for you. If you need to, you can always move here. I could convert my office to a nursery and move my sewing stuff to the basement. Anything you need, I am here.”

Kate laughed. Yeah, she could just see herself trying to move with dogs and horses and a big belly.

“I appreciate it, but I just don’t see it being possible. Let’s just see what happens.”

 

The girls talked a little while longer, joking over names and when her baby would be due. April 15th was the date the nurse at the hospital had guessed. She couldn’t give Kate a definite date, only her OB/GYN could do that. Julie insisted that Kate get scheduled for a doc first thing the next morning. Kate knew better than to argue with Julie on health matters.

 

Before long, Kate’s time had come and she needed to go through security. The girls headed over in the direction of her terminal. Saying goodbye to AJ had been hard, but to say goodbye to her best friend was pure hell. This week had changed both their lives. Things would never be the same. Julie hugged Kate, not wanting to let go. Her tears fell as her friend turned to walk away. As Kate got to the security gate, she turned and waved goodbye.