- Text Size +

 

Traveling


Julie stood in the shower, letting the hot water rush over her sore body. After the mess they had made with the waffle syrup, she was all sticky. She didn’t know how she was going to make it through the day having no sleep at all. They had a seven hour drive back to Omaha. But if this was the last night she would ever spend with Alex, she wanted to enjoy every minute of it.

“Mind if I join you?” His deep voice resonated through her. Julie would be more than happy if his voice was the only thing she ever heard again.

“By all means.” Julie was so grateful for the posh hotel’s large dual shower. Kate had told her horror stories of trying to do it in a shower. Someone was always cold and there was no room to maneuver. That would not be a problem here. The shower had two heads on each side as well as multiple spouts that jutted water at random times.

“Oh. That feels so good,” AJ commented as he stepped into the hot water. “My muscles hurt so badly.” Julie stifled a laugh. She was glad she wasn’t the only one. He had more excuse though. He had been on stage dancing for over 50 days.

Although she had made love to AJ twice already, she would never get enough of him. She needed to touch him. So she grabbed the soap and lathered it up. His face was to the water, his back to her. Julie started at his shoulders and massaged him as she washed. He moaned as she worked the knots on his shoulders, down his back. She stepped closer, her chest smooth to his back as she reached around to soap his chest. Her hands went down, just to the top of his hipbone, teasing him, not going any lower. AJ’s breath was caught in his throat. He let out a feral growl as he turned in her arms.

“You are such a tease.”
Julie just smiled at him before she kissed him tenderly. His arms went around her, pulling her so close. She could feel his erection growing, up against her, as it was. She blushed profusely. She didn’t know if her body could handle doing it again. Just the thought caused her womb to tighten.

“I’ve got to wash my hair,” she said, trying to change the subject. She turned to reach for the shampoo. When she turned to face AJ, he took the bottle from her hands.

“May I?”
Julie had always wanted someone to wash her hair for her. He must have seen the look in her eyes when he asked. He didn’t wait for an answer. He started massaging the shampoo into her scalp. She moaned in pleasure as he lathered up her hair. She turned to rinse the soap from her hair, her breasts lifting upwards as her hands went to remove all remnants of soap. She conditioned her hair and soon, it was time they got out.

AJ stepped out first, drying himself off as Julie got the conditioner out of her hair. He offered her a towel, gently rubbing her down, removing all the water from her skin. It was a task to do, as her hair was still dripping wet. AJ stood up, from rubbing her legs, to catch a drop from her hair that had fallen and was traveling down the valley of her breasts. His tongue quickly removed it, causing goose bumps to cover her skin. AJ laughed when her nipple tightened into little nubs. His mouth found its way to the right one, bringing it into the warmth of his mouth. Her hands went right to the back of his neck, drawing him in closer.


“I can’t believe we only slept for six hours. I feel so refreshed.” Kate was stretching all her muscles, still in the bed, as Nick messed with his phone

“I don’t get to sleep in a real bed very often,” he replied.
Kate rolled over to be up against Nick’s side. She reached to run her hands across his smooth, eight pack chest. She let out a sigh.

“Whatcha doing?” she whispered to him.

“Letting AJ know we are up, and see what he wants to do today.” This made a tightness fill Kate’s chest. She wasn’t ready to say goodbye. She did not want him to see her cry so she excused herself to the bathroom. Nick sat up and continued to text with AJ.

Julie glanced at AJ’s phone when another text went off. She had heard him texting for a while, when she had been soaking in the tub, letting her body recover. Once she out, he excused himself to the bathroom. She walked over to the night stand, not wanting to snoop, but still worried about the night before. What if it was Rochelle he had been texting to?

It lit up with another message. The message was clearly displayed on the screen.

Nick
“I think you have a great idea… Omaha it is.”

Julie felt her heart soar. Did this mean what she could only hope? Did Alex really wanting to spend more time with her? She went to her suitcase, trying to get to get clothing together, but her heart was racing and her thoughts were scattered.

As she pulled a pair of jeans and light blue t shirt from her suitcase, her phone buzzed. She had just gotten a text of her own. She ran over to her phone, charging on the desk. It was Kate. It was not good.

“I am in room 1425. Please, come get me. I don’t care what you say to distract him. I need to get away.”

Julie’s heart was pounding. What could have happened to make Kate sound so desperate?

“What is going on?” Julie text back to her.

“I can’t do this. I can’t say goodbye.”

Julie’s laughter brought AJ from the bathroom. Even though she had an idea of what AJ and Nick had been texting about, she couldn’t let him know. Apparently, Kate didn’t know yet.

“Give me a few minutes. I just got out of the bath,” Julie sent back.

“What is so funny?” AJ asked, pulling jeans up over his hips. Julie decided to let him know; maybe it would get him to say something.

“Kate needs me to come get her away from Nick.” Worry creased AJ’s brow.

“Why?”

“She doesn’t want to see him when she has to say goodbye. I think she will be afraid she might fall apart.”
AJ stepped up to her, opening his arms for her to walk into. She almost dropped her towel when her arms went around him. It was his body that held it in place.

“You wouldn’t walk out like that, would you?”
Julie knew that she would, but she wouldn’t admit it to him. She just looked down. That was all the answer he needed.

“Well. I guess it is good thing you won’t be rid of us for a while. Nick and I would like to spend our two days off, going home with you.” He stopped, looking into her eyes. “That is, if you want to spend more time with us.”

Julie brought her hands up to the back of his neck, drawing him in closer. She kissed with him fire and passion. That was the answer he needed.

“I take it that was a yes.”

Julie just nodded.

“Well, you better get dressed and go ‘rescue’ Kate. We should get on the road right away, so that when the rest of the crew realizes we are gone, there is nothing they can do about it.” He chuckled.
Julie reluctantly let him go and got dressed. She brushed her hair back into a simple pony tail and put on only the barest of make-up, for her anyway.

Minutes later she stood in front of Nick and Kate’s door. She knocked lightly. Nick opened the door, a look of worry on his face.

“Hey, Nick,” Julie said, then noticing his face. “Uh, oh. What is going on?” Nick looked down, shaking his head.

“I don’t know. She went into the bathroom and will not come out. She won’t even talk to me. I don’t know what is wrong.”

Julie tried hard not to laugh.

“I take it you haven’t told her yet?” Nick flushed red.

“AJ told you?”

“Yeah. I got a text from her saying she needed me right away.” Julie began to whisper, just in case.” She is having a really hard time with the thought of saying goodbye to you this morning. I told Alex and he thought it best to let me know about you two coming with us to Omaha for your two days off. So I came to take care of Kate.”
Nick let out a sigh of relief. He was so glad Kate was not mad at him. His face lifted when he thought more about it. What Kate was really saying was separating from him would be too painful to bear. He nodded to Julie, and stepped out of the way so she could go to the bathroom door.

“Katy. Open up. I need to talk to you.” Julie said, her face so close to the door. She could hear Kate moving around in the bathroom. It only took a moment for Kate to open the door. Julie stepped in and hugged her best friend. Kate’s face a streaked with tears.

“Oh, sweetie! It’s okay.” Julie just hugged her tighter. “It is gonna be alright.” Kate stepped back, looking at Julie.

“How can it be alright? I should have just walked away last night. We never should have gone to the club. I don’t know how I am gonna say goodbye…” she started crying again.

“Kate. Nick has been trying to talk to you since you came in here. He doesn’t want to say goodbye. They want to drive with us to Omaha.”
That changed Kate’s face. A smile started creeping up her face.

“How are they gonna get back?" was Kate’s response.
Julie just laughed.

“Does it really matter? They want to sit in my car with us, for the next seven hours. We will figure out the details as we go. Just get outta here and get dressed. AJ said he wanted to get on the road as soon as possible.”

Kate hugged Julie and had the door open so fast it made Julie dizzy. Nick just stood there, bare chested, and huge smile on his face.

“So, did she tel….” He didn’t get to finish. Kate’s lips were smothering his words. Julie slipped out behind them.


AJ helped Julie rearrange the trunk to be able to get everyone’s luggage in. Julie yawned deeply as Kate and Nick walked up. Kate just laughed.

“I take it you didn’t rest up last night?” She was teasing Julie, knowing full well Julie would not have gotten any sleep.

AJ flushed red when Nick started laughing.

“Alex, come on…. The poor girl is probably having problems walking this morning.”

This time, Julie’s cheeks were red.

“How about we just get in the car…” she was trying to get the subject off of her and AJ. She turned to Kate. “Do you mind driving for just a little while? I don’t think I could drive a straight line if my life depended on it.”

Kate nodded and took the keys Julie had offered. She got in and adjusted the seat and mirrors. Nick got in beside her as Julie got in behind Nick and AJ behind Kate. Julie did all she could to suppress her yawns, but they would not stop. AJ turned his body angling against the seat and the door. He pulled Julie to his chest wrapping his arms around her. She tucked her left arm under him and rested the other on his chest. Before long the two of them were fast sleep.

"So what kinda music you got?" Nick asked.
Kate blushed, "Um..."
"What?"
"Well we were going to the concerts so mostly we have NKOTBSB stuff."
"Seriously?" He said baffled.
"Yeah it put us in the mood for the shows. I have Jordan's new CD and Julie has yours but you probably are tired of hearing those songs."

"Wait, Julie has my CD? But you don't?" He asked, teasing.
Kate blushed. "Well Julie got it in Minnesota and I hadn't decided what all I was going to get and by Kansas I was hurt that you hadn't called so I just bought Jordan's."
He laughs, "Well as it happens I know a guy..."
"Really do you think he could get it autographed?"
"Probably and maybe even kissed."
Kate laughs. He is so easy to be with.
She checks her rearview mirror to see if Julie is asleep.
"Are they out?" Kate asked
Nick turned to look at them.
"Oh yeah."
"I don't think Julie slept at all."
"Must not have. I've never seen Alex fall asleep that fast. He has always had trouble sleeping.”
Kate checked the rearview again. She let out a sweet little sigh. Nick reached over to take her hand. He placed a tender kiss on her knuckles.
“What are you thinking?” He asked, staring over at her.
“I was just thinking, never in a million years would I have pictured that.”
“Pictured what?”
"Julie with AJ."
“Why?" Nick asked.
"Well she's always been such a good girl and he's always been the bad boy."
"He's not really a bad guy ya know?"

"I know I didn't mean it like that. It's just-. She's never been attracted to the kinda guy that has tattoos and piercings. Someone whose done drugs."
"So you don't think she should be with someone who has done drugs."
"No it's not that. I just-" Kate stopped herself. "Sorry apparently I'm having a bout of foot-in-mouth disease."
Nick burst out laughing.
"Foot-in-mouth, huh?"
"Yeah I thought I was recovering but apparently not." She smiled.
"So could you ever see yourself dating and ex-drug addict?" He asked more seriously.
She thought about it.
"As long as he wasn't using anymore. I don't see why not." She answered.
"I'm not."
"Your not what?" Kate asked confused.
"Using anymore."
"You did drugs?" Kate asked her heart hammering in her chest. Her Nick was a drug abuser? That's not possible! He's so athletic and way too smart to get wrapped up in that.
"Cocaine, mostly." He confessed, "I've been clean for 2 years now."
Kate swallowed hard. Her mind racing.
"So what made you want to get clean?" She asks, the words catching in her throat.
"I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. The doctor told me if I didn't clean up my act it would kill me."

Kate's eyes stung with tears. Cardiomyopathy just sounded scary. Her mind flashed to the movie Beaches. Barbara Hershey's character died of cardiomyopathy. Was Nick dying? He seemed do healthy and strong. Tears began sliding down her cheeks in earnest. Nick misunderstood her tears and released her hand. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

They drove in silence for awhile, Kate trying to process what Nick told her.
Eventually she pulled into a rest stop. She went in and washed her face. When she came back out Nick was leaning against the hood of the car. She walked up to him her arms crossed as if she was holding herself together.

"I'll understand if you don't want to be with me anymore." He said,"But I've come a long ways and I won't apologize for that."

"I'm sorry," Kate said. "It just total too me off guard. I'm glad your clean. But," She could feel the tears welling up again," I don't want to lose you."
Nick looked up at her confused
"You're not going to lose me, baby." He stood up his hand rubbing up and down her arms. She was trembling. Nick arms slid around her pulling her against him.
"Why would you think you would lose me?"
"You have cardiomyopathy. That's what Hillary died of."
"What? Whose Hillary?" He asked confused.
"In the movie Beaches, that's what the main character died of. I don't want you to die."

Nick wanted to laugh, only Kate would thing that he would be dying because of a movie. But he was so relieved that she didn't hate him for his past that he pulled her tighter kissing the top of her head.
"Kate I'm not dying."
""You're not?" she said pulling back to look up at him.
"No." He said, " I have check ups of course but my doctor says I'm doing great."
She sighed smiling up at him. "Thank God. I don't want anything to happen to you."
He smiled down at her.
"I was worried. I forget you don't really know anything about my past."
"It's not that. I've made my share of mistakes. I was just scared, images from that movie kept racing thru my head and I didn't want to to end up like that."
"I won't Honey, I promise. Are you ok now?"
Kate nodded.
"Ok then, let's get back on the road so we can get this drive over with."
Kate smiled and got back in the driver's seat.

Once back in the car Nick tried to find a radio station but since they were in the middle of no where there wasn't any. Kate laughed as he grumbled. She handed him her phone.
"Here, see if there is anything on there you'd like to listen to. If not you can see if there is reception to download from iTunes."
Nick shuffled thru her music,
"Really? You have the marcerna?"
"Hey no making fun of my music!" Kate laughed. "There's alot of good memories with that song."
He raised an eyebrow. Kate chuckled shaking her head at him.
He decided to just let her music shuffle as they cruised down the highway, although he skipped all the BSB songs.

"Penny for your thoughts" She asked when the silence was unbearable.
"I was just thinking how lucky it was that AJ saw you in the crowd that night." He says taking her hand.
"AJ? I thought you saw me at the club?"
"Well AJ saw you at the concert first."
Kate listened as he explained how he had first seen her then approached her in the club.
"Why would you pick me?" She asked.
"How could I not?"
“Well, look at me. I am not the skinny model type. I am a hard working cowgirl. I don’t wear a lot of make-up, I care nothing about fashion. I am not the type of girl that a good looking guy like you would ever pay attention to.”
“I'm looking at you. And what I see is an amazing woman, who has the kind of self-esteem to go out, just the way she is and damn what others think. I see a woman who would do anything for her best friend. A woman with a beauty and strength she doesn’t know she has.” He kissed her knuckles. “I see a down to earth woman I could easily fall in love with.”
Kate blushed, she'd never taken compliments well.
"Oh I know why your eyes are blue?" she teased,
"Why?"
"Cause all the crap falls out your mouth before it can fill up to your eyes."
"Oooo." He laughs, "That's brutal."
Kate laughs too.
"I don't get them very often but every once in a while..."

They drove on to Topeka where Nick and Kate decided to stopped for lunch. They found a quaint mom and pop restaurant off the main street where it would be less likely that the guys would be recognized.
"Well normally I would do something mean to wake AJ up but I think Julie might kick my ass." Nick commented.
Kate laughed then got a devilish grin. She grabbed her phone and turned the volume up.
The first few notes of Donnie's Rise and Grind played. Julie sat straight up, waking AJ in the process. Nick and Kate just laughed.
"WTF!" AJ exclaimed.
"Lunchtime!" Kate says cheerfully, climbing out of the car.
Julie flops backs and slides against AJ.
"Are you hungry?" He asks.
She mumbles into his chest. He chuckles.
"Come on Babe, let's be social and eat with Kate and Nick. You can sleep some more after lunch.

Kate held her hand out as Nick walked around the car. He interlaced fingers her as they walked into the restaurant.
"You think they'll come in?" Nick asked checking over his shoulder to see if Julie and AJ were coming.
"If it was just Julie probably not but I don't know about AJ."

They walked into the restaurant and chose in a booth in the back. A waitress brought them menus. They ordered drinks and looked over the menus. Julie and AJ walked in and looked around. Nick flagged them down and Kate switched sides of the table to sit next to Nick. Julie still looked half asleep when she slid into the booth before AJ.
"Morning sunshine." Kate teased.
Julie groaned.
"So where are we?" AJ asked.
"Topeka." Nick answered.
"How much further is it?" AJ asked.
"We're a little over halfway there. So about 3, 3 1/2 hours left." Kate answered.

The waitress came to take their orders and Julie asked if there was a ladies room. The waitress directed them to the back of the restaurant and Julie excused herself, taking Kate with her.
"So how ya feeling today, cowgirl?" Kate laughed as the bathroom door closed behind them.
"Tired." Julie responded.
"Totally not what I was talking about."
Julie thinks for a minute before it clicks.
"Oh that! I'm a little sore today but it was totally worth it."
I'm glad you enjoyed it."
Kate was relieved. Her only concerns were that she'd regret losing her virginity but that didn't seem to be the case.
"Did you get any sleep at all?" Kate asked.
"No. But... ah." Julie let out a sigh."It was way better than I ever thought it could be. And not to give you too much info... we did it three times. I didn't think any guy could do that."
Kate laughed.
"It is rare. But is has been known to happen. So he was good to you, then?"
Julie blushed.
"Oh yeah. And then some." She looked down at her feet. "I had one, each time." Kate knew exact what Julie meant and she laughed. AJ had ruined her. No man would ever be able to please Julie like he did.

"So any thoughts on what to do once we get them home?" Kate asked.
Julie blushed again.
"Anything but sex. I think I am gonna walk bow legged for a week." They both laughed as they walked back into the diner.

They ate lunch discussing how much trouble the guys would be in for disappearing without security.

When they had finished eating and were headed out to the car a teenage girl followed them out of the restaurant.
"Excuse me," She said timidly.
Everyone turned to look at her.
"My friends dared me to come ask you if you were the Backstreet Boys."
Nick and AJ exchanged a look.

"Yes we are, well half of them anyway." AJ told the girl.
"Can I have your autographs she said holding out a napkin and pen?"
AJ took the napkin and pen signing it before handing it to Nick.
"Do you have a camera phone?" AJ asked the girl.
She nodded.
"Well go get you're friends and we'll take a picture."
The girl was so excited she ran off without her napkin. She returned quickly with her 3 friends who all handed cameras and phones to Kate and Julie.
The girls were full of questions for the guys that they happily answered while the pictures were being taken.
"Well I'm sorry girls but we have to go. But it was nice meeting you." Nick said as he moved toward the car.
"That was really sweet." Julie said as the 4 of them climbed in. She had offered to drive but Kate insisted they rest more.
"Besides," Kate said, "I don't think Nick's long legs will fit in the back of your car."

Once they were back on the road they talked about that the plan was.
The guys had found a flight to St Louis on Wednesday morning, the same time Kate had to leave. When Nick asked what the plan was when they got into town, Julie laughed.

"I had planned to take Kate to a karaoke bar. But I am not sure that is such a good idea now."
Nick smiled big.
"Oh, I don't know. I would love to hear her sing again."

AJ kissed Julie on the cheek.
"Would you be singing too?" he asked.
"As long as you don't make fun of me. I love to get up and sing but I am no good. It's just for fun."
"You're so full of crap." Kate said. "You sing just fine."
"I'm not as good as you and I'm certainly not as good as these guys."
"We're professionals," Nick said
"And I was in choirs my whole life and took voice lessons But that doesn't mean you can't sing." Kate said.
"Please," AJ said, "Do it for me?"
How could she say no to those sweet puppy dog eyes.
"Oh all right but you've been warned." She said.

There was only three hours left on their trip. Julie and AJ stayed awake, the group just talking about everything and nothing.
Julie warned the guys about her cats. Nick let her know he was mildly allergic to cats. She promised to keep the cats out of the guest room Kate was staying in.