- Text Size +
********* Flash Back Five years before *********

Katherine Cross stood looking out at the ocean. She was standing on her friend’s deck.
“ Hey Kathy you ok?” Linda asked.
“ Yeah. I can’t believe that you’re getting married today.” Katherine said looking at her friend. Linda smiled and smoothed the wrinkles out of her long white dress.
“ It’s been a long time coming. Howie and I’ve been threw a lot.” Linda said smiling. She looked towards the pictures that sat on the nearby end table. She picked up the most recent of the two and the most happy of the pictures. She ran the tip of her finger over the picture.
“ I remember when that picture was taken.” Katherine said looking over her friend’s shoulder.
“ Yeah that was taken the day he proposed. You where there.” Linda said looking at her friend.
“ Yes I was.” Katherine said smiling. Katherine sat down on the small bench and looked at her friend. Linda smiled and touched her friend’s arm.
“ Honey you will be happy soon. It’s good that you got away from that man. I know that you like Alex. And I know Alex likes you.” Linda said smiling.
“ Yeah he’s sweet. Nothing like Nathin. I like that.” Katherine said smiling. Linda loved to watch her friend smile.


Several months after the wedding Katherine and AJ where growing closer. Both seemingly happy threw everything that they had gone threw to even find love. It was a day in late 2001 when AJ was on tour with the rest of the group. He had finally decided he needed help for his drinking problem. Katherine stood by his side threw everything. When he announced that he was going into rehab she stood by him and supported him. Staying with Linda and Howie during the time that AJ spent in Rehab, visiting AJ during the weekends. It was while in rehab he proposed to her. She wasn’t sure if she should accept but she saw that sparkle in his eyes she hadn’t seen since they had met. It had been gone for to long, she was even beginning to wonder if he knew how to be happy anymore.
“ Yes Alex I will marry you.” Katherine had said to him. A smile played on his face made her smile that much more. They where married in the spring of 2002. Katherine made him wait till he was sure he was on steady ground and was really ready. Howie was so proud of AJ, and happy that he had finally found someone that really truly loved him for who he was and not for the money and the fame. Less than six months later AJ announced his lovely bride was having a baby.
“ That is great.” Howie said hugging his friend
“ Yeah it is. I can’t believe it I am going to be a father.” AJ said his face lighting up with every word.
“ It’s a great feeling.” Howie said holding his young son in his arms.
“ Yeah it is. Duane is a beautiful boy.” AJ said taking the baby from Howie.
“ Yeah that he is. I never thought I’d be a father but it’s something I wouldn’t trade for anything.” Howie said kissing his young son’s head.
“ I wouldn’t want you to man. I’ve seen how you act around Duane. He makes your life complete.” AJ said kissing the small child’s head.
“ Can you believe that Duane will be 10 months in two weeks. He’s getting so big.” Howie said looking at his son. Duane was wiggling and wanted down from AJ’s arms. AJ shook his head and let the little boy down.
“ MOMMY” Duane giggled as he waddled towards his mom. AJ shook his head and pulled his lightweight jacket closer as a cool breeze rolled off the ocean.
“ When is she due?” Howie asked breaking into AJ’s thoughts.
“ Let’s see she just found out and it’s November now so nine months.” AJ said laughing.
“ So about August.” Howie filled in looking at his friend.
“ Yep that sounds about right.” AJ said pulling Katherine’s body into his lap. His hand’s resting on her stomach.
“ What?” Katherine giggled.
“ I am so happy that you’re my wife and that your having my baby.” AJ said kissing her neck.

The most spectacular day of AJ’s life happened when he was standing there in the delivery room with Katherine. She was dripping in sweat and the most beautiful he had ever seen.
“ One more push, Kathy.” The doctor said from his place near her feet.
“ I am tired.” Katherine whined.
“ One more baby. One more and you can be holding our baby.” AJ said kissing her damp forehead.
“ I can’t.” She said looking at him.
“ One more time. Please try.” AJ said. Katherine looked into his pleading eyes and pushed again. She leaned back against him as the doctor slapped the small infant he was holding in his gloved hands. She heard the baby cry and smiled.
“ It’s a boy.” He said looking up at the proud parents. Once they had cleaned the child they placed the wrapped baby onto Katherine’s chest.
“ He’s so beautiful.” Katherine said kissing her new son’s forehead.
“ Yes he is. What should we name him?” AJ asked kissing her forehead and running his finger over his son’s cheek.
“ Brandon Alexander McLean.” Katherine said looking at AJ.
“ Perfect.” AJ said kissing her passionately.
“ How about daddy comes with me while we weigh the baby?” The nurse said looking at AJ. “ And then you can bring him out to show your friends.” She said smiling at AJ. AJ nodded and kissed Katherine again.
“ As soon as we finish up here Mr. McLean your wife will be brought into her room.” The doctor said grabbing something off the small stand he had set up.
“ Thank you.” AJ said following the nurse from the room. AJ walked out into the waiting room. His friends all stood and smiled as AJ showed the small baby.
“ He weighs 6lbs 5 oz and is 22 inches long. His name is Brandon Alexander.” AJ said smiling.
“ Can I hold him?” Nick asked walking up to his friend.
“ Sure.” AJ said handing off his son to one of his best friends. He watched Nick hold the small baby in his arms. It was a special time and he noticed that Kevin had brought a camera to take pictures and was taking pictures of everything.
“ You know I always thought it would be Howie that would be going everywhere with a camera.”
“ I told Howie I would bring the camera.” Kevin said “ He was way to nervous.”
“ And I am the new father.” AJ said with a laugh. Howie smiled and hugged his friend.
“ I am so happy for you.” Howie said.



*********** End Flash Back ***************
Katherine sat in the waiting room, long since her crying had stopped. Her eyes spacing out watching people walk past. Howie came into the room and sat down next to Linda.
“ Baby the others are on their way. I called and my parents are bringing Denise.”
“ That’s good. Thanks for calling them.” Linda said looking towards Katherine.
“ Has she said anything?”
“ She’s been sitting like that for the last 45 minuets. Howie I don’t know what to do for her. She’s lost.” Linda said holding onto him tightly as she began to cry. Howie wasn’t even sure what to do. His best friend was laying in a bed with tubes running from his body. In the next room his youngest friend.
“ What are we going to do?” Howie whispered.
“ We are going to pray.” Howie’s mom said as she entered the small waiting room. “ Any news?” She asked.
“ Nothing. They had us come in here they said they would be back soon. That was an hour ago.” Linda said looking at the group that had assembled.
“ Does anyone know what happened?” Denise asked.
“ It was a car accident.” Katherine muttered.
“ How bad?” Denise asked looking at Katherine.
“ He’s..he’s in a coma, they think his back is broken.” Katherine said as she broke down into sobs again. Denise pulled her daughter in law into her arms and held her close. Denise remembered when AJ had proposed and when his son walked down the isle to marry the one woman that had made him happy.
“ Where is Brandon?”
“ Gretchen took him and Duane home.” Linda said.
“ Why haven’t they come in to tell us anything.” Denise asked looking around the room.