- Text Size +

 

Another airplane in less than 12 hours. I never imagined that a trip to the USA would take too long. After putting my bag in its place in the plane, I sat and started thinking how it could be in California, just more few hours and I’d be there, finally reaching my dream. But someone brought me back to reality. I couldn’t help looking at him. A blond guy was going to sit beside me. He was the cutest guy I’ve ever seen. When he smiled at me my heart skipped a beat and I realized it was the man of my dreams, the one I have always dreamed about.

            As he sat, he yawned and said something to me. Yes, it was him, it had to be. I could recognize his voice. We started a little conversation. I really don’t know how I managed the words to come out, but they did.

            “So, are you going to spend vacation in California?”, he asked me. “No. Actually I’m going to study. I’m not American”, I had to answer. He frowned at me, “Oh, nice! Where are you from?”

            A little scared of his reaction I answered I was Brazilian and he smiled. “I’ve been to Brazil a couple of times. It’s very beautiful there”. I was relieved then, he would talk to me. “Yes, it is. Which places have you visited?”, I asked just to keep on the conversation and he answered he’d been to São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.

            He finally introduced himself, “I’m Nickolas, what’s your name?”

            “Cristina, but everybody calls me Crissy”. I couldn’t stop looking into those blue eyes, even under those sunglasses he was wearing I could see them. “Nice name!”. I guess I went red, but I tried to disguise my shyness and figured out words, “Than-thanks. Are you going to California on vacation too?”. He smiled and said, “No. I live in Los Angeles. I was in my brother’s house here in Florida.”

            I couldn’t believe my luck, being in an airplane with a backstreet boy. “Hey, you said you’re coming to study…why? You already speak very well, or is it some professional course?” I had to smile at his confusion, “Oh, thanks, but I know there’s a lot for me to learn yet. Besides I work as an English teacher, I need to learn more to teach my students.” This time he smiled and told me I should be a very dedicated teacher. I got red…again…Should I let him know I recognized him?  Or would have he already realized it? Who cared? I was talking to Nick Carter and it was very difficult to keep me cool. I always thought I would be tongue-tied in front of him, and here I was being able to speak!

 

            “What do you do, Nickolas?”, I asked as if I didn’t know. I thought it was better to pretend I didn’t know him or at least let him think so. He said he worked in the music industry, but I could tell he wasn’t comfortable talking about work. Maybe he was afraid I’d scream as crazy if he told me who he really was. “I have a music label. It’s new yet, I’m just trying to help some new guys in this business…”  Well, at least he didn’t lie… but as I saw his reaction I decided I should change the subject, but I just didn’t know what to say…

            It was when the plane prepared to take off. The flight attendant gave us the instructions and although it was the second plane I was taking that day, I was starting to freak out again. I put the seat belt on and grabbed the seat firmly. Then I noticed he was a little disturbed too. Probably he was still afraid of planes, but he was way cooler than me. I felt like a fool, I’d start crying in a few seconds and he would think I was a stupid girl. “Afraid of flying?”, he asked all gentle and I nodded. I was speechless. “Don’t worry, Crissy.” Smiling, he kindly took my hands in his and winked at me. I smiled back and my eyes fell.

            After some minutes the plane took off I was calmer and still held his hand, so I freed them and thanked him for being so nice to me, a stranger. I needed to find something to do or a good subject to talk about otherwise I’d act like an idiot. So I took my bag and searched for my book. He stayed there just watching me and he might have got tired and laid his head in the back of the seat, closing his eyes.

            We didn’t talk so much after that, he slept and I read. It was very difficult to concentrate on my reading, I kept looking outside the window all the time and wishing he woke up and talked to me again, but what would I say? It was better that way. Then I heard him yawning and looked back at him. “You slept almost all the way, Nickolas. The flight attendant has just told we are in California and will be landing in about half an hour.”

            “What? I slept for almost two hours??”, he was surprised and kinda angry at the same time. He sat in a better position on his seat and asked me how I liked the city as I was looking outside again. “It’s amazing!!”, I exclaimed, “I can’t wait till the plane land and I will be able to see all the place.”

            “If you want we could go out together, so I could show you some nice places in town. What do you say?” The light in his eyes was intense when he said it. It looked like he really wanted to go out with me, would it be possible?? “Here, give me your phone number and I’ll call you to arrange something”, he offered. “Oh, sorry Nickolas, but I don’t remember the number of the house I’m staying at. Besides I barely know you to give it if I remembered”, I had to lie to stick with my plan, “hope you understand...” I think I shocked him because he didn’t say a word for a while. Finally he figured out the words and told it was ok and handed me a piece of paper with his cell number. I didn’t know what to say, so I took the paper and put it inside of my book in my bag. “Call me tomorrow and we can set a walk”, he winked again. I nodded and he asked, “Where are you staying in California by the way?”

            Gosh, that was exactly what I needed. Maybe my house was totally in the opposite side of town and he would just give up. “It’s in Santa Monica.” I could tell from the smirk on his face that he loved when I said that. “Great! It’s where I live too!” We both were grinning at each other. I guess it was something good…

            “Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seat belts. We’ll be landing in five minutes. Thank you for traveling with us.” We heard the flight attendant say and we did as she told us. This time I wasn’t freaked out, actually I was so happy that I couldn’t even think about being afraid.

            The plane landed and we left chatting and laughing. He helped me to get my suitcases to the taxi and waved to me as the car disappeared in the distance.