- Text Size +

On my way I couldn’t stop laughing. I had talked to him and he even gave me his number. I opened my bag and took the paper in my hands holding it tight against my chest. I would have to call him… Oh my God!! Will I be that courageous? Ok, if I was able to talk to him personally, then why couldn’t I talk on the phone, right? My heart was beating so fast, I was so excited… I didn’t even pay attention to the way and all the beauty of the place, I could only think of his sparkling eyes looking in my direction. Then the driver told me I had arrived in my destination, so I paid him and got my things.

            Anne was already waiting for me at the door, she had a warm smile. The house was bigger than I thought. It was painted in light blue and had a great garden in front of it. She helped me with my bags and led me inside. She showed my room, it was big and comfortable.

            “Thanks, Anne for accepting me here.”, I said and she answered, “No problem, girl! Make yourself home. I’ll be downstairs preparing something for you to eat. You know what they say… plane food is terrible….” I smiled nodding to show that she was right. “Get changed and meet me in the kitchen in ten minutes. I want to know how your trip was” and with this she left my room. I took a look around it and fell on the bed staring at the ceiling. I closed my eyes for an instant, god, I was exhausted. But my hunger was greater so I changed into a jeans and a t-shirt, put on my sneakers and went downstairs to meet her.

            “Your house is amazing, Anne!”, I exclaimed and she smiled at me saying thanks. She was nice to me even though we never met before. The exchange agency found her for me and we only talked through letters and emails. The only time I called her was to let her know I was leaving my house to go to the airport.

            “Here, I have prepared something, hope you like it.”, she looked a little worried. There was bread, butter, ham, cheese, some cookies, a cake, a tray with fruit and juice on the table. Wow. I started eating and she asked about the trip. “It was cool. I was a little afraid in the beginning but everything was fine. The view of the city is gorgeous. I think I’ll love this place!” I guess she realized the sparkle in my eyes when I said that, I could tell by the smirk on her face.

            “Really? What made you think so? Or should I ask who?” I turned red when she asked me and we both started laughing. How can she know me so well in so little time?? “Ok ok you got me! I met a guy in the plane from Florida to here. He’s so sweet… He even gave me his phone number” and I told her all the story.

            “Great! Are going to call him?”

            “I’m not sure, I mean, I want to but I’m shy… what if he doesn’t remember me?” she looked at me like saying ‘you know what to do’. I got up and told her I would unpack and then left the kitchen.

            I ran back to my bedroom and stared at the window thinking if he could really forget me. But instead I shook my head and cleared it from those thoughts. I unpacked and lay on my bed, in few moments I was finally sleeping.

            I just woke up the next day with Anne knocking on my door calling me for breakfast. I got up, took a fast shower, changed and went downstairs. She was in the kitchen with her sister, Diana, who was a little older then me. After the introductions, we had breakfast and Anne asked me if I had decided to call that guy. I was still confused about that so I took a minute to answer. “Maybe”, was all I could think of at the moment. Actually now I was more worried about the course that I’d start that morning.

            Anne took me to school and went to her work with Diana. They worked together in a store they owned. My classes were all cool and the teachers were all nice too. I was so amazed to be there! But I was also very anxious to get back home and call Nick. That was exactly what I did as soon as I got home.

            The phone rang three times and he didn’t answer. I was about to hang up when I finally heard his voice in the other end. “Hello?”

            “Ni-Nickolas?” I stuttered. “Yeah, who’s it?” he asked annoyed. Good he didn’t remember me just like I thought. “It’s Cristina, we were talking yesterday in the plane remember? You gave me your number …” I couldn’t finish my sentence. “Of course I do, Crissy! How are you? Ready to know the city?” Great! “That’s exactly why I am calling. Is there still time to accept it?” He laughed, I loved that laugh! “Sure there is, girl. Are you free this afternoon? I know a place you will love…” We set a time and I passed him my address. Then I went upstairs to get ready. This afternoon was going to be great!