- Text Size +

The next morning I woke up and breathed deeply as if I had awakened from a beautiful dream. I got off the bed and opened the windows. It was a sunny and warm day matching perfectly with the feeling I had. I contemplated the sky for some minutes before getting into the shower.

            I got dressed and went downstairs to have breakfast with Anne and Diana. As I entered the kitchen both of them looked at me with a smirk upon their faces. “Good morning, Crissy” they said in unison. I pretended there was nothing going on, “good morning, girls”.

            Then we all turned to the tv that was on and stared in disbelief. “They were seen in an amusement park holding hands. And the receptionist of one of the hotels in the park confirmed they spent the night there.” said the reporter. There was a picture of Nick in the background, “but who is this mysterious girl?” My picture was on the screen then, I was paralyzed. “We’ll have to wait and see. We tried to talk to him and get a declaration but he wasn’t found and his agents did not confirm anything.”    

            I could not believe my ears. I was in shock. Anne and Diana were speechless too. Anne left the kitchen and went to the front door while Diana stood there with me. “Gee, you didn’t tell us you were dating! I thought it was just…” she stopped to think, “…you were just friends. Oh my god!! Lucky girl!” she finally let go. “Oh come on Di, we are not dating!” I almost shouted, I was so nervous, “we just had to spend that night there because of the roads, you know!”

            Then Anne came back to the kitchen with the newspaper in her hands. I jumped in front of her and grabbed it not believing my eyes. “Oh damn” was all I could say. Diana got the paper from me and started reading, “Nick Carter, the youngest Backstreet Boy shows up with a new girlfriend. They were seen in Disneyland yesterday. People that were in the park and some employees said they spent the whole day hand in hand and looked very happy together…” I didn’t let her finish reading the article; I took it back and read it myself. God, I guess I was in trouble. What would he say? Should I call him? I just didn’t know what to do!

            “Cris, is it true?”, Anne asked me. I wasn’t sure if she would believe, we didn’t know each other so well yet. “No… I mean, we did spend the night in one of the hotels but it was because of the road, you know it, I called you to notice you. I don’t know why they are saying we are dating, they don’t have a clue about it!” I was whining then. I let my body fall on the chair and held my head with my hands.

            “Ok, girl. You don’t need to go this crazy. We’ll figure it out. Just finish your breakfast and go to school.” Gosh, I had even forgotten about school. They would all point me out there. I was in real big troubles. I need to talk to Nick but would he talk to me? What would he say? I cleared my mind from these thoughts and ran to my room, got my bag and left for school.

            As I was going down the stairs the doorbell rang. I stopped and saw Anne coming to answer it but instead I opened the door and saw Nick’s face. He looked startled. “Hi Nick, come in”. He did as he was told but the expression upon his face was still the same. I couldn’t help myself and ended saying that I was sorry I didn’t mean to bring him problems, that I would clean all that mess. He kept in silence and walked to the couch. I lowered my head and sat beside him.  I was so afraid to look him in the eyes, but then he reached my chin and said, “Don’t worry, babygirl, they say things like that every day. It’s like they need something to talk about. There’s no need to be worried.” He was so sweet that I felt better and despite the tears forming in my eyes I managed to say, “Sorry, Nick…I freaked out, I didn’t know what to do, what you would do. I thought you were mad at me”. The tears started to fall from my eyes, I felt totally stupid.

            He comforted me and told me he was worried too, but not ‘cause of him. He was worried about me. I felt so much better, at least he wouldn’t blame me. We talked for a while and figured out something to do. He said he would set things straight away. I stood up and told him that I should go to school, I was already late. We made our way to the door and got on the car, he would take me.  But we didn’t realize we were being  followed…