- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


This is the next in the series I'm calling seasons of love. Thanks to Skylar for the title!


“Hey Nicky! How's it going?” Skylar requested cheerily early that morning.

“What do you want?”He grumbled. It was way too early in the morning to be so bubbly. He looked at the alarm clock on the bedside table confirming the hour. Ugh! 7:15.

“Why do you assume I want something?”

“Because it's seven A.M on Saturday morning.”

“Too much fun last night hun?” She teased.

“Not enough.”He rolled onto his back and looked at the empty space beside him. Thank God! The girl that came home with him last night was gone. Not that he wasn't enjoying the endless hours of recreational sex but he wanted to have something more. Somebody that he could actually talk to.

“I'm sorry but you're right. I do need something.”

“Okay. Out with it before I change my mind about being nice and saying yes this morning.”

“Well I wouldn't want you to kill yourself with excitement.”

“Well I'm sure if I don't, Kev will have something to say about it.”

“That's the spirit. I need you to pick up my friend at the airport.”

“Why can't you?”

“Well cuz I'm kind of on a plane to the Hawaiian Islands myself.”

“And you knew your friend was coming?”

“No. She called me early this morning and Kevin sprung this little getaway on me. Figured we should go before it gets too hard for me to fly. Anyway, can you do this for me?”

“Sure. Let me get something to write on. I am still in bed you know.”

“Don't take too long. Our flight is about to take off.”

“So tell me Sky. What's your friend like?”

“Nick. I just need you to pick her up. I don't think she's your type.”

“All women are my type,”he returned.

“Oh Nicky. You couldn't handle Krista if you tried.”

“Krista? Sounds exotic.”

“She's all American I can assure you but I don't think your her type.”

“Women love me.”

“No women love what you can do for them in bed. Krista's not that type of woman.”

“Ouch! I thought you were pretty satisfied.”

“I had a moment of weakness. Now do you have something to write on?”

“Yeah. Fire away.” He should have been hurt by her comment but he knew that Kevin was sitting right beside her so she couldn't admit that they'd had a few good rounds that night at the cabin.. Kevin was a lucky man. No doubt about it.

Once she gave him the needed information.”Tell Krista that I'll call her once we get in and settled.”

“You got it.”

“And Nick?”

“Yeah?”

“Take good care of my friend. Make sure she has a good time but not too good of a time. You know what I can do on a good day so just add the pregnancy hormones and double it.”

“Hands off in other words.”

“ I know you both and trust me when I say I don't that'll be a problem. Look I've gotta go. Just make sure she's comfortable okay?”

“I think I can handle that. Wait, how will I know her?”

“Make a sign or something. That way she sees you.”

He sighed.”The things I do for you.”

“Thank you Nicky. You're the best,”Skylar said and hung up.

“So did he buy it?”Kevin squeezed her hand on the armrest.

“The part about me hurting him? Yeah. All he has to do is remember that I left him out in the freezing cold for two hours and that should keep his hormones under control.”

“I thought you wanted him to hook up with her?”

“I want him to get to know her before they do anything. You've met her. She may be on the wild side but she eventually wants everything I now have.”

“I get it.”

“So what'd you do with Mason this time?”

“I left him with Jules. She said she understood and he likes staying with her for some reason. I have a feeling she spoils him a little more than you do.”

“Only because I love him as much as I do you gorgeous. “Kissing him softly.




Three hours later Nick was standing at the security gate, feeling like a complete fool with the sign held across his chest. He waited about ten minutes before he was approached. Well if this was Skylar's friend, there would be no problems. She looked like a librarian with her hair pulled back and tiny wire rimmed glasses. If it hadn't been for the upper half, he'd have probably thought twice about it.

“I'm assuming Skylar sent you?”

“You must be Krista.”

She nodded.”So where is Skylar?”

“Uh, that's a long story.”

“Well since you're here I imagine it's a good one so lay it on me.”

So not what he expected from her friend.”Kevin surprised her with a trip to the Hawaiian Islands.”

“Lucky...hold up. I thought she was with somebody else.” She was confused. Last time they'd talked about Skylar's love life was about a month ago when she was still seeing this one. At least she thought it was him

“Uh... that would have been me and it didn't exactly work out.”

“Oh. Okay. Well you know my name so?”

“ Nick.”

“Well Nick, where am I staying since she's out of town?”

“You're staying at Kevin's place.”



“Okay.” They walked in an uncomfortable silence to the baggage claim then it dawned on her.“So you're the one she hooked up with.” Scrutinizing him from head to toe as they waited for the remainder of her luggage at the baggage carousel. He just didn't seem Skylar's type. Kevin was more the stability she needed. This one just seemed...well, more like herself. More her type truth be told but she could tell he was turned off and it was the glasses and hair that did it.”I don't get it.”

Well that wasn't too harsh. His eyes moved over her and he remarked,”So you're the friend.” He couldn't deny that her body screamed fuckable but the image still didn't match.”I don't get that.”

The nerve! She wasn't being mean. She just didn't see what Skylar would see in him. Okay, the big blue eyes got her but beyond that she was clueless as to how Skylar fell prey to the long and lean thing. She concentrated on the machine shoving the assortment of baggage out of the chute. Once hers came around, she grabbed it and pulled the handle up. She wasn't about to talk to him anymore than she had to.”So where's the car?”

He was on the phone and once he was done, he answered her question.” It'll be here in just a second.”

“You didn't drive?”

“Kind of. Come on. It'll be here any minute now.”

“Fine.” She followed him out the door and stood there next to him as he looked for their vehicle. Pulling the clip out of her hair, she fluffed it out.

He hadn't even noticed until the limousine pulled up. Well, the long, curly hair was an improvement but the glasses were still a deterrent for him. He grabbed her suitcase and offered to take her carry on as the trunk popped open.

“Is this supposed to impress me?”

“No. I was just trying to be nice but you're not making it very easy.”

“As opposed to your charming demeanor,”She returned.

“Most women find me very charming.”

“They must be out of their ever lovin minds then.”

“I don't put on a monkey suit for just anybody. I was only trying to help out a friend;”he replied; jerking the door open for her after securing the trunk. He decided that it might be nice for Skylar's friend to have a little fun her first day in town. So much for that. She was turning out to be a royal pain.

Krista attempted to apologize but he slammed the door before she had the chance. Asshole! When they arrived at Kevin's house, he grabbed her luggage and literally threw it on the floor once they were inside. She really was beginning to wonder what it was that Skylar found so hot about him. He'd shrugged the suit jacket off and her eyes landed on his butt. There we go! Holy shit! Add that to the entire package and Bam! Oh fuck she was in trouble! She didn't know why he was staying but she followed him into the kitchen.

He opened the refrigerator door and grabbed a bottle of water. He loosened the tie then took a long nice swig of the the cool beverage. She stood there staring at him like he shouldn't be there.”What?
I was thirsty. It's not like I'm raiding the refrigerator or something.”

She took her glasses off and glared at him.” God did she make a mistake with you!”

“Now hold on just a goddam minute there prissy!”Setting the bottle on the counter and closing the space between them. Her eyes almost took him off guard. They were gorgeous. A smoky blue with gold and green flecks in them. Damn! He'd never noticed that much in a woman. Especially her eyes. He drew himself back and started in on her again.” You have no right to be making judgment calls on something you know nothing about.”

“Then enlighten me. It's not like I have anywhere to go.” Damn! Was it getting hot in here? She stepped back a little.

“You're not worth the time and effort but if anything comes up, my number is on the refrigerator door.
Welcome to LA!”