- Text Size +
“Nick. Buddy! You want something to drink?” Brian said; snapping his finger in front of Nick's face.

“Just some water is fine,”he returned and stared blankly into his menu. He hadn't seen Krista in two days. Sure he could have text her, even called her but Kevin had this way of finding out He'd have his nuts for lunch if he knew he was even trying to contact her. But he missed her. He knew it was crazy to think he was in love in that little time but he was. And he knew she was too. Sure, she was older but age is just a number. Hell, Leighanne was older than Brian. Not quite as old but the numbers didn't matter. He wrote love songs for her. Nick wanted to do that. Being so crazy in love you'd do anything for them and be lost when they weren't there with you.

What's going on Nick?” Brian requested.

“Huh?” He looked up from the menu.

“When I talked to you a few days ago you were so happy and now it's like you lost your best friend.”

“I did.”

“Talk me me man. What happened to the girl?”

“You mean Krista?”

“So she has a name,”Brian teased.

“Yeah but it's not like I'm ever gonna get to see her again.”

“Why not? You let her plan the whole evening right?”

“Right.”

“And from the look in your eyes, she got under your skin.”

“If that's how you want to look at it.”

“How else am I supposed to look at it? What you do behind closed doors is none of my business unless you make it my business.”

“I know so let's talk guy to guy then. There have been women in your life where all you wanted to do is just freak them right?”

“If you mean have sex sure.”

“Well it wasn't like that this time. Of course I wanted to have sex with her but when I got to know her, it changed.”

“Maybe it changed you Nick,”Brian said as the waitress returned with their water.” The guy I talked to the other night was more worried about her than he was himself. You wanted to make it right for her.”

“And I did but now I can't see her anymore.”

“Why not?”

“Because your jackass of a cousin won't let me.”

“What's Kevin got to do with all this?”

“Krista is Skylar's friend and being as they took off on an impromptu trip to Hawaii, she sent me to pick her up. Skylar asked me to take care of her until they got back so I did.”

“I'll say you did.” Taking a large gulp of his water.

“You gentleman ready to order?”The waitress greeted after giving them a few minutes.

Brian placed his order and Nick placed his. She smiled sweetly and took their menus; allowing them to get back to their conversation.

“But seriously Bee, how did you know she was the one?” Nick took a swig of his water.

“You really are serious about this girl aren't you?”

“It killed me to walk out on her like that man. I want to be with her so bad it hurts.”

“So you never did tell me Kev's involvement in all of this.”

Nick took a deep breath then responded,”It was that morning. We were at Kevin and Sky's house. She was getting ready to cook breakfast but she just looked so damned hot in my shirt that I couldn't resist the opportunity.”

“You got busy in the kitchen?” Sometimes he really envied Nick's love life. He and Leigh hadn't done that since Baylee was old enough to walk.

“Like you haven't? I know you Bri. You have a beautiful wife.”

“Not like we don't but not in every room of the house. Did when we first moved in. Before Baylee came along.” He grinned; reminiscing on the early days of his marriage.”So Kev caught you I take it?”

“Yeah. They came home a day earlier than planned.”

“Why didn't you go back to your place that night?”

“I don't know. I guess I just wanted to be with her so bad, I would risk even that.”

“So let me guess, he threatened to have your balls for lunch?”

“Worse.”

“Okay. He's clearly gone off the deep end and he needs a good smack upside the head and since you haven't heard from Skylar, I'm assuming that he's still in a mood.”

“That'd be my guess.”

“Which means she's in a mood too. Not a good combination for those two. I'll knock some sense into his ass but in the meantime, tell me more about this girl.”

“I don't like calling her girl Bri but she's beautiful, intelligent, funny.”

“Pretty much the opposite of everything you've never had in a woman.”

“Yeah. So I took her to the aquarium right? I knew they had that bird thing there all the time but I'd never been in. She talked me into going in. The birds are all over the place but we bought this cup of what they feed on and they flocked to Krista. I had a couple land on my shoulders and I was fine until the one landed on my head. She had me ease down so she could take the little guy off. The damn thing took to her like nothing. It was something straight out of Snow White.”

“You should see your face. I've never seen you light up like that. Ever. I really do want to meet this Krista.”

“So you'll talk to Kevin then?”

“I think you should but something tells me he won't listen to you. He'll shoot now and ask questions later.”

“Thanks Brian. I really appreciate man.”

“Let's just say I'm doing this in the name of love.”




Kevin was still being a stubborn son of a bitch. Two days later and they were still on mute. He'd done a lot of stupid things but this one was taking the cake. Krista grabbed a bottle of water from the refrigerator and glared at him as she headed in the direction of the pool.

“Are you happy?!”Skylar screamed.”She won't even talk to me now.”

He scrolled down the news page on his laptop; attempting to ignore her. Skylar nearly slammed the lid on his fingers. Good thing he saw that one coming . Her temper was flared and maybe he was being childish but he'd be damned if he'd let Nick anywhere near this house again.”That's not my fault.”

“The fuck it ain't! She's my best friend and she's hurt. I can understand her being pissed off at you but me?! I've been trying to help her through. I've practically let her down and to top it all off, I haven't even been able to tell my best friend that I'm pregnant because of your shit!”

“Sky, watch the language please.”

“Why? Mason's at school.”

“I know. I just wish you'd be rational about this.”

“I am being rational. I'm pregnant. My hormones are whacked out. If I weren't being so 'rational' you'd no longer have the reason I'm in this condition.”

Ouch! He flinched but he was entitled to his opinions. She was right. He didn't want to be reminded of what happened at the cabin. Big deal! Was he not allowed to have feelings now as well.”Sky, I-” He was just about to start when the doorbell rang. Saved by the bell!

Skylar shot him a look and went to answer the door. When she returned, she announced,”You have company. I'm going to pick up Mason. Maybe you can beat some sense into that thick skull of his. I'm done trying.”And left the room.

“What was that all about?”Brian approached Kevin.

“Nothing.”

“Really?”

“Really. Maybe it has something to do with a certain house guest of yours?” Brian raised his brow knowingly.

“You talked to that little prick?”

“Kevin, Nick's really in love with this girl. I've seen him interested but this is more than just a passing interest where he'll get bored and move on. He really wants to do right by this one.”

“Why is everybody so against me Brian?”

“Because you're acting like you did when you were fifteen and you caught your girlfriend kissing me.”

“I liked that girl.”

“But she's not around anymore and you forgave me for that eventually. We're family. You could have held a grudge for life if you had really wanted to.”

“I guess but this is different.”

“So you know Skylar slept with him. He doesn't want that anymore. He wants Krista.”

“It doesn't make sense Brian. She's my age. She should know better.”

“Leighanne's older than me. I really don't get it. It's only a number and if they're really in love like I believe they are, then what's the big deal? They're consenting adults. Whatever happens, happens. I think you should make amends before it's too late.”

“I almost lost her to him.”

“You never lost her Kev. She was always there and you know it. Let it go.”

“I get it. I'll take care of it or Skylar will never forgive me.”

“You'll feel better Kev. I've gotta get going myself or my wife will have my head.”

Kevin chuckled.”Mind if I don't walk you out? I have an apology to make starting with Krista.”

“She's still here?”

“Yeah. She's got the kind of job she can do anywhere.”

“Can I meet her? I have to the way Nick's face lit up when he talked about her.”

“He really is in love with her isn't he?”

“Yep.”

“Follow me.” They made their way through the house and to the pool. There she was. Typing away. Amazing that she was writing romance when he'd practically put hers in ruins.”Krista?”


She looked up from the screen. Shit! She had to be polite now.”Hey.”

“Hi. I'd like you to meet my cousin, Brian. Brian, this is Krista.”

“Nice to meet you. Nick speaks very highly of you.”

“I find that hard to believe,”she said as she rolled her eyes. He'd turned out like every other man in the world. She really thought he was the one. She turned her attention back to the computer screen and started typing.

“Well it was nice to meet you Krista.”

She nodded and steadily beat on the keys and heard that he was leaving. She knew it wasn't his fault. Nick was a name she just rather not here at the moment. Carlos was the man of the hour but even Kevin was about to ruin that.

“Krista. We need to talk.”