- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:



I apogize for no update yesterday but I hope you'll forgive me after reading this chapter. Enjoy!


“I still can't believe you didn't tell me you were pregnant,”Krista scolded her friend two days later as she and Skylar relaxed on Nick's patio while they watched he and Kevin 'discuss' how to start a grill.

“A lot was going on. I know you. You probably freaked when Nick told you.” Sipping her iced tea.

Krista brushed it off. She hated that her friend knew her that well.”Anyway, how are you and the old man doing?”

“Good. So you've been playin' house with the kiddie. How's that going?”

“Let's just say I could not walk by myself until yesterday.”

“That good.”She nodded with a smirk.

Krista blushed.

“For a woman that writes things twice as dirty as what you've been doing I'm sure, you embarrass easily.”

“It's different now.”

“How?”

“Now I'm in love. That's another thing. What if they don't like me?” Referring to the others that would be joining them shortly.

“Are you kidding me?! They're gonna love you. You made it past the toughest customer already.”Referring to Kevin.”The rest of them are a a cakewalk. Granted, they are pretty protective of Nick but you've been on the trademark 'Backstreet' date. Nick's never asked for that kind of advice. They know he's serious about you. You'll be fine.”

“Yeah but I was pretty rude to Brian the other day when Kevin introduced him to me.”

“You were pissed off at Nick and Kevin. He's a pretty tolerant guy. I'm sure he didn't think anything of it. Just be yourself girl. Hell, they like me and I'm hell on wheels compared to you.”

Krista laughed. True. She didn't know what she was so worried about.

“Sky. I'm bored,”Mason whined as he tugged at the hem of her loosely hanging blouse.

“Baylee will be here any time now kiddo. Hang in there.” Leaning over and giving him a quick squeeze.

“Would you play with me Krista?” His little eyes widened as he pushed the lower lip out for effect.

“How can I resist that?”

“You can't. He apparently didn't want to work me that hard today. Even I can't resist that.”

He tugged on her hand. “Come on. Let's go.”

“What are we playing?” She rose from her chair and followed him. They however were stopped by Nick.

He knelt down to Mason's level.”You wouldn't be trying to steal your Uncle Nick's girl now would you?”

“She's my girlfriend,”Mason stated proudly; still holding Krista's hand.

“It's true. Mason and I are gonna run away and get married.”She played along with him.

Nick clutched his heart.”You're killing me here. You gotta help your Uncle Nick out here buddy. I'm madly in love with your girl. You don't want me to die from a broken heart do you?”

Krista bit her lip to keep from laughing at Nick's dramatics.

“Baylee!” Mason dropped her like a hot potato once he saw the other boy.

“Dumped by a five year old. Whatever will I do?” Krista continued playing on Nick's dramatics.

He stood and pulled her into his arms.” I can think of a few things.”

“Why Mr. Carter. Whatever will your friends think?”Sliding her arms around his neck.

“Who cares.”Kissing her softly.

“Hey now. Enough of that,” Brian's voice separated them.

“Hey Bri. LeighAnne.”He greeted them.”I think you've met Brian right?”Not really sure.

“ We have but I wasn't so polite. I am so sorry.”

“Don't worry about it. Everybody has a bad day. Just good to see you worked things out,”he replied with a smile.

“I believe I have you to thank for that.”

“I just started the ball rolling. They did all the leg work. Baylee!” He yelled; noticing the boys already getting into trouble.”You'll excuse me.”

“I'm gonna go help Brian. It was nice meeting you Krista.”Leaving them.

“She hates me.”

Nick lifted her chin.”She doesn't hate you. Sometimes it takes more than one to wrangle those two up.”

“Okay.”She was still nervous. “One down. two to go.”

“Alex has arrived. Let the party start!” He announced with his fiancé in tow. She'd been given a quick background on whom belonged to whom and which ones had children. Couldn't remember the girl's name but knew they were together.

“He's a hugger. Be ready,”Nick whispered in her ear.

“What are you telling her about me?”AJ had approached them; hand in hand with his girl.

“Nothing nobody else hasn't already told her.”

Be yourself Krista. Just be yourself.”He was actually telling me what he wanted to do to me once you were all gone tonight.”

He chuckled.”He may have a long wait. Alex.”Pulling her into a friendly hug. “And this here is my monkee, Rochelle.”

She was just as bold as he was. She'd be a good heroine for one of her stories. What?! She's a writer. Always thinking. But Rochelle was also just as welcoming.

When Rochelle had her in the hug, she whispered,”I'm glad Nick met you. I can tell you're good for him already.”

“Thank you. We'll talk later?” Krista questioned as they pulled away.

“I'd like that. I'm gonna go say hi to skylar. It was nice meeting you.”

“Nice meeting you.”

“I've got a good feeling about you Krista. I'm gonna go get a soda,"Alex said.

Once they were gone, Nick pulled her into his arms again.” Feeling better?”

“Much. But you being next to me helps.”

“You listen to me. They're all gonna love you because I do. Okay?”

“Okay.”She nodded.

“Okay beanpole, introduce me to the lady that's made you honest,”Howie teased him

“Okay shortie, Krista this is Howie and his wife, Leigh.”

“And the little guy sleeping in the stroller is James,”Howie said.

“He's adorable.”Krista smiled.

“He's always cuter when he's sleeping,”Leigh interjected with a smile.

“Aren't they always?”

“So do you have any children Krista?”

“Leigh!”Howie nudged.

“Well I just assumed that since she was....”Trailing off.”I am so sorry. I had no right. You'll forgive me. I'll go yank my foot out of my mouth and we can start over again. Hi. Leigh Dorough. Nice to meet you.”

“It's no problem really. I would have thought the same thing myself.” Since she'd met Nick the thought had crossed her mind more and more. She knew it was a risk at her age but having a bunch of little Nicks or Nicolettes running around, sounded appealing.”Should we join the hen party over on the patio so the men can argue over the finer art of grilling?”Krista offered.

”Good idea.”

Krista pecked Nick on the cheek.”See ya around.”She smiled and squeezed his butt as she joined the others.

“She's uh-”

“Not what you expected?”Nick interrupted him as they approached Alex and Kevin already arguing over who would be doing the grilling.”Guys! My house. I decide.”

They both turned to Nick and looked at him like he was out of his ever loving mind for even thinking about intervening.

“Well it is.”

“Wow. When did you grow a pair?”Alex teased.

“When I thought I was going to lose her.” Referring to Krista. Completely straightfaced. He was serious. He didn't want to lose her. She was the best thing that ever happened to him. Their age difference bothered him at first but he would never tell her that. That would be one thing she never needed to know.

“There's hope for you yet blondie.”

“Whatever. Now get out of the way. This is my house. I'll be doing the grilling.”



Two hours and a bunch of 'fat, happy people' later is when the trouble started. Everybody was happy and quietly socializing when she made her appearance. Nick was talking to Brian when he felt the pair of arms slide around his waist. He thought it was Krista but when the voice whispered,”Miss me?” He knew it was not going to end well.

He jerked away.”How did you get in here?!”

“Like everybody else did silly.”Her fingers tripping up his chest to the collar of his shirt. She pulled his mouth to hers and liplocked him.

He pulled away immediately.”Would you get a clue Marguerite?! There's a reason I haven't called you back!”

“And what would that be?” Her hands on her hips.

“Me.”Krista said; coming upon the situation.”And you are?”

“Marguerite. Nick's wife.”