- Text Size +
Fuck! Men were idiots! She plopped down onto the barstool and looked around. She heard her cell phone going off and she yanked her purse strap across the counter; pulling it to herself. She reached in and pulled it out. Hitting the talk button, she said,”Why the hell did you do this to me? You knew I was coming!”

Skylar knew she'd be pissed but Nick must have done something to piss her off.” Kevin just sprung this on me. I really am sorry but you've been to this place. It's absolutely gorgeous.”

“I know but God! How did you end up in bed with this guy?! He's fucking annoying!”

“That's how. He knows how to get under your skin without even trying.”

“He's an asshole! It's a wonder he gets laid at all.”

“Krista. I'm sure it wasn't that bad.”

“I was just making conversation and said I couldn't see the connection between you two and he got offended apparently and remarked that he couldn't see us as friends.”

“I'll talk to him.”

“Don't worry about it. I can take care of myself but I do want to know how you and Kevin got back together.”

“When I moved out, I left my favorite necklace sitting on the dresser and he found it. His little boy Mason was the clincher though. When he started telling Daddy how much he missed me, it started the ball rolling. He realized he never fell out of love with me. He just thought that I was in love with somebody else. I wasn't.”

“I can see why.”

“Nick's not a bad guy Krista. He just has that foot in mouth disease like all guys do sometimes.”

“Not a good first impression though.”

“I know. I'm sorry lady but everybody deserves a second chance y'know?”

She took a deep breath. Skylar was right. She could give the guy one more chance before she wrote him off.”I'll try.”

“I hate to cut this short but we're about to head out for lunch.”

“You're gonna love the pineapple there on the islands. It's so amazingly sweet and juicy. You'll have fun licking it off of each other.”

“I'm sure we will. Have fun and I promise we'll have some you and me time when I get back. Just the girls.”

“I'm looking forward to it lady. Bye.” She hit the end button and went to the refrigerator door. She looked at the number for a few minutes. Maybe later.


Skylar dialed Nick's number immediately after hanging up with Krista. She hadn't been in town a day and he was already fucking up.

Nick looked down at his caller ID . Shit! How is it a woman nearly a foot shorter than him could strike fear into him? Oh yeah, she had a man about his size to back her up if she needed any help. “Hey Sky!” Pretending nothing was wrong. He was sure that bitch on wheels Krista had given Skylar a completely different version of what had happened between them.

“Do you remember freezing your nuts off a couple of months ago Carter?”

“Couldn't forget that if I tried.”

“Then why the hell are you pissing my friend off already?! Jesus Nick! That's some kind of record.”

“I was trying to lighten the blow of her BEST friend blowing town before she got here and nothing I did seemed to please her.”

“According to her , you got defensive.”

“Yeah I did. Only because she pissed me off first. She just couldn't believe you and I could have ended up together. So I may have said that I couldn't see you two as friends.”

“You should have just kept your mouth shut there.”

“Should I have just pretended I was a deaf mute? Would have been a lot easier.”

“Nick, I've known her a lot longer.”

“So she can't lie about anything then right?”

“I didn't say that but your track record kinda outshines hers. I want to believe you but maybe you being the peacemaker in this situation would be a good idea.”

“Are you serious?! Not only did she insult me at the airport, I grabbed a bottled water out of the refrigerator when we got to your place and she thought I was being rude. I put on a friggin monkey suit and got a limo for your girl. I was hot! I needed something to drink. I didn't think I was stealing the crowned jewels for crying out loud!”

“So what else did she say to piss you off Nick?” Attempting to stifle her laughter. Sounded like it was most likely true. After all, Krista did have a history of pushing men's buttons but if her plan was going to work, Nick needed to be the one to apologize. Regardless of whether he was right or wrong.

“She said you'd made a mistake with me. What's so funny?!”

“I think you like her.”

“God no! I'm sorry but she's psycho.”

“Please just apologize Nick. After that, I don't care what happens.”

“Fine,”he reluctantly agreed.”But don't expect me to like it.”

“It'll do you some good to be the bigger person just this once. Trust me. Take her some flowers too. She loves lavender roses but I think these things they call alstromerias would soften the blow in this case. Wouldn't want her to think you like her or something,”Skylar teased.

“You're loving this aren't you?”

“Immensely. Give her a day then take them over. She needs at least that long to cool off.”

“Whatever you say and since I'm starting on this bigger person thing, have a good time.”

“You too.”

“I'll try.”He said as she hung up on him. Kevin must have already been having a little fun with her. He really was happy for them but he still wanted somebody in his life. It would never be Krista. He was sure of that.