- Text Size +
Krista and Nick didn't make it as far as the kitchen before they were all over each other again She'd been in some intense relationships but what really were they in? Was it a relationship or were they just having fun? She knew he loved her and she loved him but it was a whirlwind for sure. They'd pulled the half eaten bowl of fruit salad out of the refrigerator and were playing with their food. Shared pieces of strawberry. Nibbling until their lips met. A square of watermelon in her mouth as she sucked the juice off his finger. It was a wonder they hadn't attacked one another again. She loved the way his eyes sparkled when he got playful with her. She'd knotted her blouse just across her chest and he was barren of his T-shirt.”So did you really read my stuff?”

“You don't think I did.”

“Well from the settings, I know you only read about four of them because I have set them in places other than the tropics and New York City.”

Feeding her a grape, he leaned on the counter and replied,”You mean there's more?”

She held it on her tongue and wiggled it before biting into it.”You're funny.”

“Doesn't the fact that I actually took the time to do the research count for anything?”he pouted. Her hand surfaced on his cheek as she debated his inquiry. He turned so his lips met the palm of her hand. He loved the way her eyes fluttered closed when he did something so simple.

“You make it hard to concentrate.”

His eyes met hers and he grinned.”You just make it hard.”

His innuendo not gone unnoticed and she smiled.” I don't know what I'm gonna do when you're not there with me everyday.”

“So move in with me.”

He stated it so matter of fact that she really didn't think he was serious.”Okay.”

“I'm serious.”

“That's crazy Nick. We've really only known each other a couple of weeks .” It was a big step but at the same time, the way she felt about him, she couldn't imagine life without him.

“So we can't be stupid and crazy in love in the same place?”

“But what about your work? What happens when you go on the road?”

“You could come with me. I thought you had the kind of job that allowed you that freedom.”

“I do but I also have book tours as well. The internet hasn't made the written word. People still do pick up a paperback. It's not that I don't want to. I've never felt this way about anybody in my life . Things are good right now.”

“I guess.”His eyes dropped from hers.

Her heart melted. He could go from that smoldering hot man to an innocent boy in a matter of seconds. She was trying to do the right thing. At least she thought it was the right thing. She tilted his chin up so his eyes were with hers.”God knows I would love to spend every last available second of the day with you but realistically, I can't. I had a life before I came here. I just can't up and walk away from it. I don't know how to explain you to any of the women my age that I hang with.”

“You're not going to change your mind are you?”

“If things work out the way we know they will, whether I move in next week or six months from now, we'll still have each other right?”

“You are one classy lady Krista.”

“What would you have done if I'd said yes?”

“I'd have felt like the luckiest man alive.”

“We'll get there but we need to get some sleep. I've got a hot date with a five year old tomorrow. I don't want to have to explain to him his Uncle Nick kept me awake all night.”

“You could tell him I snored all night.”

“But you don't.”

“He doesn't know that.” Nick wiggled his brows.

“You have me for another five days. You have plenty of time to enjoy me. Don't push it.”

“Can I just push it into you?” Biting his lip playfully.

“You are terrible.”She giggled. “But to answer your question, yes. Only requirement is you have to catch me first.”



The next afternoon she was playing with Mason and Nick was watching her. They could have that couldn't they? She wasn't so old that she couldn't not bear children. It was just a little riskier from what he'd heard. Skylar snuck up on him and said,”You're taking good care of my friend aren't you?”

“Of course I am. Where's Kevin at?”

“He had some errands to run but he should be home in an hour.”

“Gotcha. Did she tell you I asked her to move in with me?”

Her knees would have buckled if she'd hadn't been sitting down. Moving in? That was news. Wait. She hadn't heard the answer.”What'd she say?”

“She's thinking about it.”

“Does that mean right away thinking or considering it for the future?”

Nick chuckled. Two weeks ago he and Krista were at each other's throats and now they were inseparable. It made sense for Skylar to worry about her girl.”She hasn't said yes one way or the other so don't worry about it.”

“So that whole Marguerite mess?”

“We talked about that. I didn't know that she was that messed up when I met her in Vegas. Having a fling there could cost you your marital status.”

“How did she end up finding you here anyway?”

“We got a call this morning. The police say she hired a private detective but the good news is she agreed to get some help.”

“Damn! I kinda wanted to see her ass in jail for what she did to Krista.”

“Me too but your friend has a big heart.”

“Don't I know it.”


Krista stumbled over to Nick.”Auntie Krista needs a break. Can you take over for a few?”

“Sure.” Pecking her on the lips before taking on the youngster.

She took over Nick's chair.”Hey lady. How you doing?”

“Well morning sickness is a blast,”she replied sarcastically.”But other than that, I'm doing just fine.”

“So have you two decided on a date yet?”

“Actually we have. Next June. The 25th to be exact. You know you're going to be my maid of honor girlie.”

“Of course.”

“So I hear you're thinking about moving in with blondie.”Changing the subject.


“Not for awhile.”

“But you want to?”

“Is that crazy?”

“No. If you feel it's the right thing then go for it. You don't want to regret it do you?”

She took a deep breath and said,”You're right. It's time to stop being rational and let go. Nick!” She called.

“Hang on buddy!”holding the child off as long as he could.

“The answer to that question you asked me last night?”

“Yeah?”

“I've changed my mind.” And just like that, their lives had changed. Skylar was marrying the man of her dreams and she was moving in with the man of hers.
Chapter End Notes:



This season of love has ended but there are still two left so stay tuned! :)