- Text Size +
The minute he got home, he dialed Skylar's number; praying she'd answer.

“This better be good Nick.”

“I think I like your friend.”

“You hated her yesterday. What changed?”

“I don't know. I can't explain it. I just know she's totally different from you and I'm curious.”

“If you're looking to get her into bed Nick, I'm just letting you know she's not that kind of girl.”

“I know. I was just curious if you knew a couple of her favorite songs.”

“As in romantic?”

“It doesn't matter.”

“I know you're gonna be making a sacrifice for one but the other should be easy enough. She likes the Christina Perri song , A Thousand Years. As for the other one, it's an old country song but she loves it. It's called The Chair by George Strait.”

He'd had a notepad ready to go and was taking it down as she told him.”Any others I should know about?”

“Nick, why are you doing this really?”

“I'm just trying to show your friend a good time without it being too good. I don't want her to think I'm a complete fool.”

“She liked the flowers didn't she?”

“She loved them.”

“Then you're getting through and the fact that she accepted your apology means she's willing to try and make it work.” It's starting to work. Secretly, she was doing a little happy dance inside. She really could see the two of them together and the fact that he's trying this hard to impress her only proves it. She only hoped Krista was feeling the same way.

“I hope so. Maybe we just got off on the wrong foot.”


“Could it be? Oh my God! You're growing up Nicky!” She teased.

“If I weren't in such a rush to put this evening together, I'd give you hell. You know that don't you?”

“Unfortunately you can hang with the best there. Anything else I can help you with?”

“Just tell me that Kevin won't kill me for interrupting your trip again.”

“I'll handle him. He'll forget by the time we leave here anyway. I'll make sure of it.”

“Something tells me I don't need the details on that. See ya later!” He hung up.



She was taking one last look in the mirror when the doorbell. Damn! Was he early or was she running late? She looked at her gold bracelet watch and noticed he was right on time. Seven on the dot. No matter how early she started getting ready, she never seemed to be by the time they arrived. But this wasn't a date she kept reminding herself. Then why was she all dolled up and worried about what he would think? The doorbell rang again. She wasn't going to get angry about that. He knew she was there. Pulling the door open, their eyes met. Wow! His eyes really were blue as the sky. It wasn't helping that he was wearing the shade of blue that would make them pop even further. The matching black slacks and jacket only made them more prevalent. Pull it together Krista! You are a grown woman after all.”You clean up nice,”she said; brushing off the very real attraction she was now feeling. Yesterday she hated him and now it was like she wanted to jump on him and ride him til the sun rose.

The girl really didn't know how beautiful she was. Her dress was off the shoulder and pink. Very feminine. She was a contradiction for sure. Maybe that's what made her so fascinating. She didn't fit one mold. Her hair was pulled up off her shoulders but not wound up like before. Soft little curls framing her face. She wasn't wearing glasses. That was it. That's what was different. She must wear contacts.”You look beautiful.”

She smiled sweetly. It'd been awhile since she'd been told that.”Thank you. Come on in. I've got to get my shoes and purse.”

Closing the door behind himself, he waited for her to come back. His heart skipped a beat when heard the click of her heels on the tile floor. He was trying to avoid the fact that he wanted this to be a date when yesterday he wanted to strangle her. It didn't make sense to him.”Shall we?” He opened the door for her.

“Thank you.” Why was she playing it so safe? She could have said something particularly rude but it's like she'd put a child monitor on her mouth. Yesterday, she couldn't stand the guy and now she was just waiting for the first time he tried to kiss her.

“Do you have a key?” He said before closing the door.

“They did leave me one of those. Thanks for asking.”

He closed the door and escorted her to his car; his hand ever so slightly at the small of her back all the while. He took her to a nice little Italian restaurant. Nice but not too nice. Once they broke the ice, the conversation flowed easier than he expected. The fact that she was more than ten years his senior did throw him a little off guard but she certainly didn't look it and she definitely didn't act it. He thought it would be odd to date an older woman but he never really stopped to look at the advantages. For one, they knew what they wanted. And two, just think of the experience they had. So far he'd done everything right but the dancing in the moonlight would either be a dealbreaker or the one that steals her heart. Not all women were the same. He didn't want to be presumptuous and just take her hand so he let her lead in that right. He grabbed the portable I POD deck out of the back seat. The silence between them wasn't uncomfortable now. Her smile was all he needed to know that she was having a good time. He wasn't even doing this for Skylar anymore. This was all for himself. The more he got to know about her, the more he liked her. She took his hand and they took the small path leading to the beach.


She slipped out of her heels when they reached the sand. He was definitely making all the right moves for romance but is that what she wanted? She had come to see her friend after all. She never expected to have a fling. She was calling it that because she didn't want to believe what her heart was letting her feel.”Do you do this a lot?” She broke their long silence.

He stopped and looked at her. Man! Full moons make you do crazy shit. He wanted to blame it on that but deep down he knew it was more than he intended.”Do you think this is one of my moves?”

“If it is, it's a good one,”she replied. Where'd that come from? Lord it was cold she thought as she felt the slight breeze come in off the water.

He noticed her shiver and pulled his jacket off. As he pulled it around her shoulders, their eyes met for the umpteenth time but it was different with the elements surrounding them. Like anything could happen and they could blame it on the moonlight but for some reason, he didn't want to rush right into things with her(despite what his hormones wanted). “Better?”

She simply nodded. Her vocal cords managed to tighten up. Their lips were so close and for a brief moment she thought kissing him would be a good idea but she scolded herself for that thought. If he was worth his weight, there would be another time. Thank God he had the same thought. Her heart was bursting out of her chest and she had no clue why. Maybe because it was the most romantic gesture any man had ever made in her life and that it was one of the simplest. She was so lost in thought that she almost didn't hear him.

“May I have this dance?” He extended his hand and she readily accepted.

Man he was good. The first song could have been a lucky guess but the second one he had to have talked to Skylar.”If you're trying to win brownie points, you just scored double.” Referring to the George Strait song that was playing.

“You like it.”


“I love it.” His hand wrapped around hers and he clutched it against his chest just next to where she rest her head. Her free hand slid up around his neck as he held the small of her back with his free hand. It felt right. So very, very right. He didn't want it to end. But it had to. Things had changed. Whether it would end up where he wanted it to, he didn't know. He just knew he wanted to get closer to her.

When they arrived at the doorstep later that evening, she knew it would be so easy to get it overwith and lay one on him but she was old fashioned and she didn't want to explain the reasons why she wouldn't kiss him on the first date. Yeah, it had turned into one of those. “Thank you for a really good time Nick.”Softly kissing him on the cheek before turning the key in the lock.

That was it?! She closed the door without so much as blinking. Was he losing his touch? He wanted to take it slow but was a goodnight kiss so much to ask for? Maybe it was the right thing to do if he didn't want to mess it up. Maybe she was worth the wait.