- Text Size +

Chapter 10

The next few days seemed to pass by all too quickly, and before they knew it, Elena and Louise were at the train station saying goodbye to Jeremy and Daniel, along with countless others also saying goodbye to their loved ones. She wouldn’t admit it to anyone and felt guilty for even thinking of him whilst Jeremy had been home on leave, but this last week without seeing Nick had been hard for Elena. She missed his company even though she knew it was wrong to do so. She was a soon to be married woman and Nick was an American soldier just passing through. She shouldn’t even be associating with him. Nothing could come of it.

The train pulled in to the station, already almost full of soldiers who were obviously heading back to war, solemn looks on their faces. The platform was crowded with people of all ages, there to wave goodbye to their loved ones, tears were flowing and emotions were high all around. Saying goodbye was so hard to do, especially when there was the uncertainty or war hanging over their heads.

Daniel pulled Louise close to him and kissed her passionately, not wanting to let go of her. He prayed that luck would be on his side and he’d soon be home with his wife for good. “I love you” he kissed her again as the train came to a complete halt and the door swung open right next to them “I hate to leave, but I must” he kissed her one more time before picking up his bag to board the train.

Jeremy wrapped his arms around Elena and kissed her softly on the lips. He couldn’t wait to be married to his childhood sweetheart and promised to write every chance he got. Next time he was home they would be married. He knew that thought alone would be enough to keep him going during the long days ahead. “Take care love” he said before joining Jeremy in the search for a seat.

“Hurry back my darling” Louise called out to Daniel once she spotted him in the crowded train carriage. He’d managed to find a window seat and had opened the window as wide as he could.

“I love you” she called once more.

“I love you too” he called back from the open window and they blew each other kisses.

“Stay safe Jeremy, I love you” Elena called to Jeremy as he stood in the window with Daniel and flashed her a beautiful smile.

“I’ll be back before you know it” he shouted as the whistle blew and the train began to pull away from the platform.

They waved goodbye until the train was out of sight, until it was just a speck in the distance, and then feeling a little deflated, headed back home.

~*~

This past week had been hard for Nick too. He’d stayed away from Elena and the shop whilst Jeremy had been there. It wouldn‘t have been right to hang out with them when their time together was so short and precious. He also didn‘t think he could handle seeing her so happy in the company of another man, even if that other man happened to be her fiancé. He liked her a lot, even though he knew nothing could ever come of it, but would rather have her as a friend than nothing at all. But would friendship be enough?

On the evening before Daniel and Jeremy were due to go back, everyone in their circle of friends had gone out but Nick had decided to stay back at the base, just his thoughts to keep him company. He got out his notebook and began to scribble a few words and feelings that had been gathering around in his mind.

Not everything is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I'll keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough
There's us

“Is it really love though?” he said to himself as he thought about Elena. How could it be when they‘d known each other for such a short time? How could he love another when Emily had been the love of his life and the girl he‘d thought he‘d grow old with? Whatever it was Nick was feeling towards Elena, it felt a lot like love. He sighed and closed his notebook.

~*~

“Hello Nick, we haven’t seen you around here for a little while” Elena said when Nick called into the shop the following day. She had a feeling he’d been avoiding her, but couldn’t be sure. Whatever his reason for staying away, Elena was happy to see him now. She’d felt so miserable after Jeremy had left the previous day and could do with some cheering up.

“Hey Elena” Nick replied casually “I‘ve just been a little busy this week, how you doing? Is Jeremy around?” Nick knew he wasn’t but was playing dumb.

“I’m good thanks” she smiled but then the smile slipped “Jeremy had to go back yesterday”

“Oh that’s a real shame, I’m sorry to have missed him. Are you sure you’re alright?” he asked concerned for her.

“I’ll be fine” she smiled again, more shyly “so tell me what’s kept you so busy?”

“Oh you know, they’ve had us working like crazy, lots of extra training and stuff” he lied with a shrug of his shoulders and a shift of his eyes.

“Oh right” Elena replied, thinking it strange how Brian, Alex and Howie had all been there the other night. She decided it was not her business though and said no more. Maybe he was seeing someone, she wouldn’t be surprised, he was single after all…and good looking…and a nice person.

“I was wondering if you fancied going for a drink later?” he asked hopefully.

“That would be nice, thanks” Elena answered. She knew she was an engaged woman now and probably shouldn’t be seen going out for a drink with another man, but this was Nick, her friend, someone she liked to spend time with. Who cared what people thought?

“Great, I’ll see you later in the Coach & Horses, about seven” he said and smiled that lopsided smile of his and left the shop.

“You shouldn’t be leading him on like that, you’re engaged to Jeremy” said her mother from behind her. Elena hadn’t heard her approach.

“Oh mother, it’s only a drink for god’s sake, not a proposal of marriage” she replied, not liking her mother’s tone of voice.

“What would Jeremy say? I bet he wouldn‘t be too happy to hear that his fiancée is cavorting with American soldiers whilst he‘s out of the country” her mother retorted.

“Well Jeremy isn’t here, he doesn’t need to know and there’s nothing to tell. Nick is my friend and nothing more” Elena replied defensively, folding her arms across her chest.

“I just hope he doesn’t hear of this” she said as she shook her head, not letting the subject drop.

“Mother!” Elena said and gave her a glare “let’s just change the subject shall we, I‘m going for a drink and that‘s it!”

“Very well dear, I’m going back upstairs” she said with a tut and disappeared back where she’d come from. Elena was glad to see the back of her.

“That told her” laughed Juliet who’d only caught the end of the conversation “so what was she giving you a hard time about?”

“Nick. I’m only going for a drink with him, you’d swear we were eloping the way mother reacted” Elena laughed.

“Don’t let her get to you. I still can’t believe she’s finally accepted that Alex and I are engaged! Remember what she said when he first came to the house? I was mortified!” Juliet said and flushed at the memory of her mother meeting Alex for the first time.

“Oh yes, poor Alex” they both laughed.

“So you’re going out for a drink with Nick eh? I wonder where he was all week?” Juliet wondered.

“He told me he was working”

“Funny that, he’s suddenly free now that Jeremy has gone back” she said knowingly.

“I’m sure he was genuinely working” Elena protested.

“Well enjoy yourself and we might see you there later, unless you want to be alone” she laughed

“Jules!” Elena blushed and hoped her sister wouldn’t notice.

“Just teasing” she said and they got back to work as a couple of customers had entered the shop.

z88;

Chapter End Notes:

Sorry if this seemed super cheesy, I couldn't help it, it just came out that way :)  They are having the easiest war ever, lol!