- Text Size +

Chapter 13

 

The mood in camp was quite low and had been for days, ever since the rumours started circulating. It was feared that by the end of the week - if not before - they’d be shipped out. There was definitely something going on behind the scenes, although no one was saying anything yet.

After he’d finished for the day, Nick couldn’t get out of there fast enough, he had to see Elena. It might be his last chance and he couldn’t go without saying goodbye.

“Nick!” Elena said as she saw him enter the shop, a smile slowly began to spread across her face.

“Elena there are paying customers waiting to be served” called her mother and Nick was on the receiving end of an icy stare from Mrs Armitage, who wasn’t at all happy with the amount of time her daughter was spending with the American.

“Yes mother” Elena replied and then in a quiet voice only Nick could hear asked if she would see him later.

“Sure, top of the hill after you finish?” Nick queried and Elena nodded her head. Nick left the shop with a spring in his step and a smile on his face.

Nick took a wander through the small town, stopping off to purchase a bag of fish and chips (he was getting used to this British food) before heading towards his and Elena’s meeting place on the hill. He sat down and began eating the delicious hot chips as he looked out for Elena.

He really was becoming quite fond of this place, it would be hard to leave it after the months he‘d spent there. He finished his food and laid back on the grass, his eyes closed as he thought about what the future held. The next thing he knew, Elena was stood by his side. He quickly got to his feet and looked her up and down admiringly. He wondered if tonight would be the last time he’d see her.

“Mother would have a fit if she knew I was with you, but I can’t help my feelings…I love you” she said as she stepped into his open arms.

“I love you too Elena” he replied and brought his lips crashing down onto hers, pulling her close against his body. Elena returned his kiss hungrily, her hands running through his blonde hair. They kissed and talked, then kissed and talked some more before Nick walked Elena back home.

Nick made his way back to base, he was so happy that he wanted to shout it from the rooftops. His happy bubble soon burst though.

Word was out, they were leaving tomorrow.

That night, none of them really managed to sleep, how could they? They were being sent to face the enemy tomorrow, destined for France, where all the action was. They’d had it pretty easy so far, but now they’d have to put all that training and practice into action, now it was all going to be for real.

“I wish this fucking war was over” Alex said “we’re being sent to god knows where, for god knows how long. I’m not even going to get the chance to say goodbye to my wife, what will she think? That I’ve just deserted her?”

“Listen buddy, we’re gonna be alright, we’re a team, we’re gonna look out for each other. We probably won’t even see much action. Do you think they’d send their best cooks out to fight?” Nick assured him.

“Juliet will understand, there’s no possible way for you to sneak out tonight, security is too tight, but she’ll know you wouldn’t just leave” Brian said, putting his hand on Alex’s shoulder.

“Thanks guys” Alex replied, glad he had friends around him in his time of need.

Although Nick had assured Alex that everything would be alright, he couldn‘t help feeling that life was so unfair. He’d had one of the best nights of his life and now had to leave. He knew Elena was nothing like Emily, but would she be prepared to wait for him? Would it be fair to expect that of her when she already had a fiancé? He’d finally found the girl of his dreams and now he may never see her again. Life was cruel sometimes.

At five in the morning, after little or no sleep, they all had to get up and shower, have breakfast and then pack what little possessions they had into their duffle bags. It was time to go.

Before setting off though, they were summoned for a briefing, to find out more about where they were going and what they were expected to do. Some of the Air Force personnel would be parachuting into France behind enemy lines, whilst the Army would be heading there on the many small ships which were destined for Normandy.

Luckily for the four friends, they were taking the long road and sailing in together. It didn‘t make it any easier or safer as there were German U boats all over the place, but at least they stood more of a chance being in a boat than a plane. If a plane was shot down, chance of survival was minimal, whereas the chances were a little more in your favour in a boat.

Truck load after truck load left the base, thundering through the villages on their way to war. All the locals had come out of their houses to see them off, many of them shocked at the sudden departure of the Americans.

There were women crying as they scanned the crowded trucks for their loved ones, a couple of them pregnant and scared of being left to have an illegitimate baby and the shame it would bring on them. There were children cheering and waving, not fully understanding that there was nothing glamorous about war. Older men and women wishing them luck and passing food and drink into the trucks. It seemed as if everyone had come to see them go.

“Can you see Juliet?” Alex was asking as he looked out into the crowds, a sense of urgency in his voice “I have to see her, I can’t go without saying goodbye”

“She’s got to be here somewhere Alex” Brian said looking out over the crowds of people, looking for the faces that had become familiar to them over the past few months.

“Alex, Nick, there they are” Howie called out and pointed over to the right.

Alex and Nick jumped off the truck whilst it was moving; fortunately it was going pretty slow so they’d easily be able to catch up. They pushed their way through the crowds of people, as Elena and Juliet did the same, meeting up in the middle of a crowded street.

“I love you Jules, never forget that” Alex said holding her close in his arms and then smothering her with kisses “I will be back just as soon as I can”

They stood there both of them crying and holding each other tight, neither wanting to let go “I love you too Alex, so much. Write to me whenever you can please. I’ll be waiting and praying that you stay safe”

“Knowing that I have you to return to will keep me going” he said, not caring that tears were rolling down his face.

Nick and Elena were having a similar conversation, holding each other close and crying. “Can I write to you?” he asked.

“Of course and I will write to you. Please be safe Nick” she cried.

“I’m coming back, remember that” he promised and kissed her. He hoped that next time he saw her she would’ve had the chance to tell Jeremy. Only then could he propose to her.

“Goodbye Nick” Elena called out, her voice getting lost in the sounds of everyone else. Nick turned back and smiled, mouthing the words ‘I love you’ before running to catch the truck.

~*~

Elena and Juliet consoled each other as they walked back towards their home, both of them totally devastated that this had been sprung so suddenly without a proper chance to say goodbye.

“I hope they’ll be alright” Juliet said as tears ran down her face “Alex hates violence, I can’t imagine him having to fight for survival”

“Let’s try to stay positive, they’ve been training for months, they wouldn’t be sent to fight if they weren’t fit for it would they?” Elena said, hoping that she was right.

“I suppose you are right”

“You know I am, and anyway, they are cooks, they won’t be on the front line” Elena said and silently prayed to god that that was the case. She couldn’t imagine life without Nick in it.

Chapter End Notes:

Poor boys, it's goodbye England and hello hell :(  Thanks for reading!