- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the delay, you know how it is this time of year!  Hope everyone had a good Christmas. 

Chapter 6

 

 

 

Louise Bond sighed with relief when the post man finally delivered a letter she’d been waiting days for. She hadn’t heard from her husband Daniel in a couple of weeks and was beginning to fear the worst. She’d put a brave face on in front of friends and neighbours, but deep down she’d been worried sick. She tore the envelope open and began to read, a big smile spreading across her face as she imagined him saying the words that were written on that piece of paper. After she finished reading, she read it again and then held the letter close to her, as if in doing so she was closer to her husband.

Louise and Daniel had only been married for a few months, and most of that time had been spent apart because he was away fighting in the war. But they hadn’t wanted to wait until the war was over, like so many other young couples in love.

Daniel Bond was a pilot in the RAF, he was often sent on extremely dangerous missions behind the enemy lines, and he’d lost count of the number of planes he’d shot down or buildings he’d bombed. But it was all part of the job. Kill or be killed in this environment…and he had no intention of being on the receiving end if he could help it.

 

 

~*~*~*~

 

 

 

“Good morning” Louise said cheerily as she walked into Armitage Stores for a pint of milk. She worked as a volunteer for the Red Cross but wasn’t due in until later that day, and so decided to call in to see her friends and let them know she’d heard from Daniel. She knew they’d been worried too. Anyone who had a loved one overseas understood how important letters were.

“Hi Louise, you look cheerful today, have you heard from Daniel?” asked Elena as she noted the happiness in her friend’s voice.

“Yes, he’s been on some top secret mission and wasn’t able to tell me much as it’s classified information, but he’s safe and well. Guess what? He’s got some leave coming up soon, I’m so excited” said Louise excitedly.

“I’m so pleased for you, when is he coming home?” Elena asked.

“I‘m not sure yet, he‘s going to let me know as soon as he knows though. I’m thinking of having a little get together when he’s home, it’s his birthday soon and I know he may not be home for his actual birthday, but we can have a little celebration anyway. Although with the way food is rationed, it’ll not be anything too fancy!” she said with an annoyed frown on her face. The war rationing was hard, especially when previously they’d been used to certain luxuries which they couldn’t get their hands on now.

“I’ll ask my Alex, he works in the kitchen on the base doesn’t he? He’ll be able to get us all sorts of goodies that aren’t available elsewhere” said Juliet confidently. Alex liked to shower Juliet with little luxuries which were in abundance on the base.

“Thanks Juliet, that would be great” replied Louise “things still going well between you and Alex then?”

“Oh yes…I think I’m in love!” she laughed “can you believe it?”

They chatted for a while between serving customers, and then Louise had to go. She had a few other errands to run in the village before she was due to go to work and she wanted to make sure she had enough time to have a bite to eat before her shift started.

 

 

~*~*~*~

 

 

“Come on Littrell, put some effort into it!” shouted the drill instructor in Brian’s face “you’re not gonna kill a man with that attitude, it‘s kill or be killed, remember that! Toughen up man!”

Brian sighed. He really couldn’t picture himself killing anyone; it just wasn’t in his nature to be that way. He wouldn’t think twice about pulling the trigger on an injured farm animal, slaughtering livestock for market or snapping the neck of a turkey at Thanksgiving, but that was different. They were farm animals and not people. He was finding it hard to stick a knife into the strung up mannequins of German soldiers.

“Imagine it’s some guy fucking your wife while you’re over here all cold and lonely” Alex said with a smirk on his face.

“My wife wouldn’t do that!” Brian retorted.

“You’d be surprised my friend. It’s always the good girls you have to watch out for…” Alex trailed off.

That did the trick. Brian couldn’t stand the thought of some hired help on the farm taking advantage of his wife whilst he was out of the picture. The anger built up inside him as he imagined someone else’s hands on his wife’s body and he charged at the mannequin, letting all the rage out.

“Now that’s what I‘m talking about! I don’t know what McLean said to you, but whatever it was, just think of that when you are facing the enemy and you’ll be alright” said the drill instructor.

“Yes sir” replied Brian. He could do that if that’s what it would take.

They spent the rest of the day doing target practice followed by a map reading exercise in the woods before returning back to the base cold and exhausted. But they were not so tired that they were going to spend the evening in; it was Friday night and that meant a trip into town to go to the weekly dance. It was something they all looked forward to.

 

 

~*~*~*~

 

 

Nick hadn’t seen Elena since that night he’d danced with her, but she was there tonight and looking as lovely as he‘d remembered. If he were single he’d definitely be interested in her, he couldn’t help noticing the fullness of her lips and the way her blue eyes lit up when she smiled, the way her brown hair shone under the lights and hung in loose curls just past her shoulders. He could just imagine running his fingers through her hair, bringing his lips down onto hers…if he didn’t already have a girlfriend back home. He felt guilty for his thoughts, but figured it was because he was missing Emily so much.

“Hey Nick, snap out of it” Howie was waving his hand in front of Nick’s face.

“Oh, what? Sorry. I was in a world of my own” replied Nick.

“Oh yeah? Who is she?” asked Howie with a wink. Had he been that obvious?

“My girlfriend Emily” Nick lied “come on, let’s get some beer”

They walked over to the bar and ordered pints of beer before being called over to join Alex who was sitting with Juliet and her friends. Nick found himself sitting next to Elena.

“Hi” he smiled at her.

“Hello” she smiled shyly in reply “I’m sorry about last time we met, I was rude to you and it was wrong of me”

“No need to apologise, I totally understand. I have a girlfriend back home too, I wasn’t trying anything” Nick explained.

“You must be homesick. What’s your girlfriend’s name?”

“Emily. I’m thinking of asking her to marry me when I get home, if….” he began but Elena cut him off.

“Don’t say that! Of course you’re going home one day. You have to think positively Nick”

“Yeah, you’re right. It‘s just hard sometimes y‘know” he shrugged.

“So, what’s it like where you live? Is it anything like here?” she asked hoping to change the subject to something happier. Elena needed some happiness to take her mind away from worrying over Jeremy. They all needed a bit of escapism sometimes.

“Well, for a start it’s a lot warmer than it is here, and it doesn’t rain as much either!” he laughed and Elena laughed with him. They chatted easily with each other, enjoying each other’s company in a platonic way.

 

~*~*~*~

 

 

Alex pulled Juliet down onto his lap and wrapped his arms around her, bringing her close for a gentle kiss. He inhaled the smell of her perfume and her clean hair as he nibbled her neck softly, a quiet groan escaping her mouth.

“I think I’m falling in love with you Jules” Alex whispered in her ear. This girl had really captured his heart in such a short space of time and yet he wasn‘t afraid of it.

“I think I love you too Alex” she replied and kissed him again, wrapping her arms around his neck. They kissed for what seemed like forever, and then broke free from their embrace. Juliet stood up and took his hand to lead him to the dance floor as the band began playing one of her favourite songs. They danced close, their bodies swaying in unison to the music, arms around each other in their own little world as if no one else existed. They had eyes for only each other.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I know it was a bit sappy in places but I do like a bit of romance sometimes :)