- Text Size +

 

Chapter 25

 

Three months later and the situation in France had gone from bad to worse. The death and destruction all around them was something they just couldn’t get used to. They saw sights that no one should ever see. Like the mutilated bodies of civilians in some of the little French villages they had finally cleared of Germans. Like the loss of men who’d become more than just colleagues, but good friends in such a short space of time.

Even though Nick and Alex had started off their military career as cooks, the combat training they had received in England meant that they weren’t exempt from joining others on missions. The makeshift base already had an established catering staff when they’d arrived there, but what they soon found out was that they rotated so that every so often they’d go out with the troops. Just like with the medical staff who were either treating injuries on the base, or out in the field, Nick and Alex were either cooking half decent meals for the men at the base, or trying to scrape together something to eat whilst out on duty in the middle of nowhere. No one got off easy over there.

It was hard to see an end to it all, and also hard to stay positive at times.

The only things that kept the men going and remaining positive were the letters from home and the strong friendships they’d made along the way. There was a lot to be said for laughter, and sometimes it truly was the best tonic.

“How’re things back home?” Alex asked Brian after he’d finished reading his own letter from home. They were back at the base in Ramelle for a much needed couple of days of rest and recuperation and as was usual after time away, they had mail upon their return to look forward to.

“Fine” Brian shrugged. Alex knew exactly how his friend was feeling. It was great to hear from loved ones, but would be even better to actually be with them. “I miss them and can’t wait to see them again. Look, my wife sent a new photo” Brian showed the photo around proudly, a grin on his face.

“You have a beautiful family” Howie handed the photo back. He didn’t have a special someone waiting for him back home. Just an empty house. He’d had girlfriends in the past, but hadn’t felt ready to make the commitment needed for marriage and starting a family. There was a teacher who taught in the same school back home who he kind of liked, but they hadn’t had the chance to get past the innocent flirting stage before he’d been called up to serve his country. If she was still single when, or if, he got home, then he decided he was going to ask her out on a date. He had nothing to lose.

“What about you Carter? Is my sister-in-law still writing to you, or has she seen sense?” Alex laughed and dodged a flying boot which Nick had thrown at him.

Nick shook his head at their teasing and carried on reading his letter.

My dearest Nick,

I hope you are well, or as well as can be expected at least.

I long for the day we meet again. I remember the hours of talking up on the hill, just the two of us. So full of dreams and hopes for the future. I can’t wait until we can make those dreams a reality.

I’m beginning to understand just how awful it must be over there for you. Some of the sights I see whilst working are truly awful, but it’s my job and I have to put on a brave face and get on with it. It’s not all bad though, and us girls do manage to have a laugh. You have to, don’t you? But when I’m on my own, that’s when I can let it all out. When I’m lying in my bed at night, that’s when it hits me that this nightmare is real. When will it all be over?

I mustn’t complain though. I have no right to moan about life over here when it must be a thousand times worse where you are. I only hope that wherever you are, you are safe from harm. Say hello to everyone for me…

“Elena says hello” Nick looked up and grinned at his friends, then carried on reading.

 

~*~

 

“Elena!” Juliet ran to her sister and enveloped her in a big hug, “so good to have you home”

“It’s good to be back” Elena hugged her sister back. She meant it too. Although she loved her job, even though it could be extremely tough at times, it was always great to come home and see her family and friends. “How’s it going in the shop?”

“Oh, you know, we manage” Juliet replied, “but what about you? My sister the hero”

“I just drive the ambulance” Elena downplayed her job. She didn’t feel as if she did anything particularly heroic. She helped get the injured out of planes from wherever they’d come from, and settled them into the ambulance for their drive to the hospital where they’d be treated. Sometimes she faced danger, but more often than not, she was just faced with the poor mutilated men who were just glad to be alive and back in their home country. Every time, she wondered whether Nick would be amongst the injured, and every time, she sighed with relief when he wasn’t.

“Whatever you say”

“Enough work talk, what shall we do this weekend?” Elena asked.

“We could always go to the dance…or see what’s playing at the cinema this weekend?”

Going to the weekly dance had been somewhat of a tradition before Nick had arrived in England and whilst he was there, but Elena hadn’t been since he’d left. She recalled the last time she went. Dancing with Nick, laughing as he twirled her around the floor, it just wouldn’t feel the same without him there. “Cinema?” she suggested.

“If that’s what you want, then that’s what we’ll do. Now tell me all about life in Leeds”

 

~*~

 

 

“If we could just stay here, it wouldn’t be so bad” Alex mused as he chopped onions and added them to the huge pan. He thought of escape all the time, had done since the day they‘d been shipped out of England, but of course he wouldn‘t go through with it. But he could dream.

“You’re right there mate” one of the other kitchen staff agreed with him.

Even though they’d seen many horrific sights since arriving, they’d been lucky enough to escape any real injury so far. Kevin, or Captain Richardson as he was usually referred to, was an excellent leader and steered his men in the right direction every time.

“It would be even better if we could go home!” Nick added, “With a quick stop over in England to pick up Elena”

“Do you think she’d leave everything and go with you?” Alex asked. He’d talked about it briefly with Juliet, but they hadn’t had the chance to make any solid plans as within days of getting married, they’d had to leave. He wondered whether she’d like life on the road with a musician. Would he be able to carry on with that nomadic life with a wife in tow? What about when they had children? The life he’d lived before was not the life he’d like for a family. But what else could he do for a living?

“I hope so” Nick replied. He knew that Elena wanted to see more of the world, especially America, but whether she’d be happy to make a permanent move across the pond, he didn’t know for sure. They’d talked about the future, but he knew all too well that plans could change. For a fleeting moment, Emily popped into his head. “What about Juliet? Do you think she’d like the life of a touring musician’s wife?”

“We’ll just have to wait and see!”

Later that evening, once duties were over and the men had a bit of ‘free’ time, Nick pulled out his notebook and pen and began scribbling a poem. He’d not had much of an opportunity for poetry writing recently, but from time to time, an idea popped into his head which had to be written.

You're my secret place where I can be myself
You connect with me like nobody else
Even though our circumstances changed
Our love still remains

He stopped writing and smiled, then pulled out some writing paper and began writing a letter to Elena, the poem included.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading :)