- Text Size +
DONNIE

The sun woke me up the next morning. There was snow on the television screen. I stretched and grabbed the remote from the coffee table. I put it back once I turned the tv off and sat up. My feet flat on the floor . My hands running over my face and resting on the back of my neck. I turned my head and saw that Lumpy was still comfortably stretched out where my feet had been. Then I looked around the room. Everything here screamed of her touch from the coffee table sitting in front of him to the cabinet full of her Disney princess statues in the corner. She'd told me once that it helped her believe that Prince Charming still existed. I was hers. She told me everyday. Everyday until the whole Roxy ordeal. Even then, I kept that in my thoughts. I've never wanted to hit a woman in my life like I did Roxy. Meg had told me she was to blame for starting things but I still didn't buy it. I couldn't believe that Meg was so interested in seeing what the other side lives like that she would go to that extreme. My weight lifting off the couch woke Lumpy up. He followed me lazily into the kitchen. I started the coffee. I squatted and scratched Lumpy's head where he had once again found a comfortable spot for himself. He gave me his goofy dog smile. I stood back up and blindly reached into the cabinet for a mug; pulling out two. Ours. The matching set. The one's we thought we thought we'd be pulling out of there when were eighty five. One woman was slowly killing that dream.

“You okay?” I heard his voice.

Did I zone out?”Huh?”

“I just want her back Jon. I want her here now. I saw that damned cabinet in the living room and it killed me. I'm her fucking Prince Charming for God's sake! What changed that?!” I ranted. My fist hit the counter; rattling the coffee mugs

“You'll get her back. It's just gonna take a little time. She's not going to give up the one thing she's been waiting a lifetime for.”

I turned to him;my brow furrowed.

“She knew the minute she kissed you that night that you two would somehow, someway be together in the end,”he explained, then continued.” You were just at different points in your lives then. She was going to school and you were becoming a pop star. It just happened. You can't change the way fate works. It just does. It got you back to her. It's not going to take her away.”

“Are you sure about that because I'm not.”

“I'm sorry I tried to help,”Jon replied angrily.

I knew I was out of line.”I'm sorry. I know you are and believe me, I don't think I would have made it this far without breaking something.”

“Believe me, I want to understand myself. I've known her forever and never once got that vibe from her.”

“Then it's not just me?”

“No. I think she just got herself into something she couldn't get herself out of. Even if she did instigate, Roxy knew better. She just likes playing with fire.”

“No shit. Can we talk about something else though? I really just need to get my mind off of things for awhile.”

“Sure. Wanna pour me a cup of that wake me up?”




MEG


I woke up from a very restless sleep. Roxy had not stopped calling and sending texts so I just turned my phone to silent. I must have checked it a million times just to see if he'd changed his mind. I should know better. I'd got my self into this jam, I had to worm my way out of it. I heard the knock on the door and sat up in the bed.

“Morning. How did you sleep?”

“Honestly?”

“Not very well. I hate this. It's the first time since we started living together that I haven't woke up next to him; my lower lip curled between my teeth.”I miss him.”

“I'm not trying to be a bitch but you do know what you have to do to make it right.”

“How do you walk away from one of your best friends just like that?”

“It's easy. You keep in mind they're the reason you're losing the one thing that means everything in the world to you. I've never interfered in your other friendships but I'm not gonna let this one be the reason you lose the one man you've been waiting for all your life.”

“So what do I do? I don't want to see her but I think I should. I think I owe to myself to put an end to it in person.”

“I wouldn't but you do what you gotta do.”

“Jesus Sharon! Changing my number won't help. She knows where I live and I'm not about to fucking move. She doesn't have that much power.”

“Doesn't she? She's already managed to put a wedge between you two. You know I don't mix words Meg so I'm not gonna candy coat. I don't think it's a good idea.”

“Maybe if I met her in public?”

“She's a diva. She'll make a scene.”

“You're right. I'll figure it out I guess. I just need to do it soon. In the meantime, I need to apologize to Jon.”

“Yes you do. I'll leave you alone.”

I picked my phone up off the bedside table and dialed his cell. I really hoped he was up. I hit speaker and waited for him to answer.

“Hey.”

“Hey,”I returned. Donnie had to be in the room. Either that or he was really pissed off at me. I couldn't blame him

“How's he holding up?” I said timidly.

“How do you think he is? He's miserable Meg.”

“So he's not in the room?”

“No I'm in the guest room packing my things. Not exactly the fun filled weekend I imagined you know.”

“I know. And I'm sorry for putting you in such a position. I took advantage of your better nature and I had no right to.”

“You realize that's something Roxy would have pulled .”

“I know. Can you forgive me?”

“We're good. Just remember if you even attempt to try it again, you can kiss my ass goodbye.”

“That's fair.”

“ Meg?”

“Yeah?”

“I know Roxy's been your friend for years but she's just starting. I know her type. She's determined to win you and she'll stop at nothing to do it. Just remember Prince Charming is here and waiting for his princess to return.”

I knew exactly what he meant. Donnie was my Prince Charming. Had been all my life. I wasn't about to surrender that for one lousy indiscretion