- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:



First off, thank you for all the support that you've given. I wasn't sure what the response would be when I followed in Tri's footsteps but again, I'd like to thank her for inspiring me to take the giant leap as well. Enjoy!


MEG


I was sitting on the couch curled up with a hot cup of tea and one of my favorite movies on TV, Pretty Woman. Leave it to a a hooker to have one of the best lines I ever thought there was, 'I want the fairytale'. I was forty three years old and I still wanted the fairytale. Who said I couldn't have it? Even Prince Charming could fall off his horse. Why couldn't his princess have a moment of weakness? Oh yeah, because she was supposed to look pretty and stay quiet. I was tired of being quiet. And any modern day Cinderella could still be beautiful and have a voice. Then again, a few of them actually overcame the odds and came out on top. Why couldn't I? Because I was the one that caused the turmoil in my relationship. Not that I ever intended to. And in a perfect world, I never would have.

“Pretty Woman. Really?” Sharon said as she put her remaining earring in while looking at the TV screen.

“Don't judge. You have your movies, I have mine.”

“So what's going on with you tonight?”

“I have a date.”

“A date?”I hit the mute button. I could quote the movie word for word. Not like I'd miss anything.

“Yeah. Some of us still do that. Actually, Lisa talked me into doing that speed dating thing.”

“I see.”

“Meg, I'm trying really hard here to not be the meddling friend but it's getting harder. I thought you needed the space but you need Donnie. You two just work. For whatever reasons, you've always been meant for each other. He is YOUR fairytale.”Referring to the line in the movie.” I love you lady. This is why I'm saying this. You need to go home and face the music. You can't lean on me forever.”

“Why not?” I pouted; knowing full well she was right. The doorbell rang and I looked over at her inquisitively. “Expecting someone?”

She shook her head. “Everybody I know, knows I have plans tonight.”

It rang again.”Would you like me to get that?”

“I'll get it. Remember what I said.”

“I'll take it under advisement.” But she was right. I needed to get my ass home and get my man before that slut ex fried, girlfriend, whatever she was got to him.

“Uh Meg. Somebody here to see you.”

I sat up and turned at her voice. It was him. My heart leaped then sank. Then I thought to be mad at my friend. Then I thought better of it. I was a twisted mess. I knew Sharon meant well and maybe I should thank her for being the meddling friend she was because Lord knows I wasn't doing anything to speed up the process.

“Hey,”he said.

“Hi,” I replied just as somberly. I hit the off button on the remote and said.”Let's talk.” I needed to be the one to say it. I was the reason for everything that had happened. I needed to be the one to correct the problem.

He sat down tentatively on the couch near me. I never thought anything could distance us so much.
“So...”

“So you want to know everything from the beginning or just since Saturday?”

“I think it's better if you explain to me what it is that made you do it in the first place.”

I took a sip of tea. Took a deep breath. I wanted to avoid having to tell him some part of all this really made me question the way I felt about same sex relationships yet at the same time my heart told me it was wrong. I guess I knew where I had to start.”So the reason I kissed Roxy and started all this shit?”

He nodded.

“Well after thinking about it and something Jon said after he caught us, I think it was a midlife crisis. Of sorts. That doesn't make it right I know.”

“So how is being with a woman different than being with me Meg? I really want to know.”

“Other than the physical, nothing. Women are more in tune with another woman's needs. It's as simple as a caress.”

“So you don't like the way I do that anymore?!”

I hated when he got angry but he had every right to be so. I edged closer to him and took his hand. His eyes moved back up to meet mine.”Nobody could ever touch me the way you do. Ever. The way you touch me.......it comes from love. There never was. Never has been but it took an eye opening afternoon with her to make me realize it.” I didn't want to have to tell him but until I'd started this whole game with Roxy, I never had lied to him. If we were really going to make it, I needed to tell him the truth. He was still listening. Still touching me. I continued when he nodded.”I foolishly went over there to tell her it was over and ended up in bed with her. Donnie, she played me. She's sick. She let her roommate watch while...” I couldn't even say the words and I didn't want him to witness how ill it made me.”And I ony found it out after I caught her in the kitchen getting her brains fucked out by him. Even he wanted to....” I couldn't go on without losing my lunch. I just left him there and ran for the sink. But he wasn't far behind. After rinsing my mouth, I looked up to find him standing there. Something told me he understood this.

“She played us both Meg.”

Hello?! This was new.

“She came by the set today. I guess she was going to tell me that you were so into girls that you were going to leave me for her. Instead, she sucked me in by proposing that menage a yet again. She had me so jacked up, I was considering doing something I never thought of EVER doing to you. That's when Sharon showed up.”

“Oh.” I had no right to play the victim but it felt like it. If I'd have been more well versed in the games of love, I would have known that my so called best friend was playing us against one another but he was the one that had to point it out to me. She wanted us both.

“Tell me something Meg.”

“What?”

“ I mean I get that it repulsed you to even think about that guy.... I am assuming it was a guy, if the situation was different....”

He was lost for words but I was catching onto it.”You mean if I hadn't explored that need for women?”

“Yeah.”

“He's got the right equipment but he's just as sick as she is. I wouldn't have let him touch me with a ten foot pole. You're the only man I want. The only one I've ever wanted.”

“And you're the only I've ever wanted. We were stupid once when were young.”

“But I screwed this up.”

“I'm aware of it but I can't stand the thought of not waking up next you everyday, hearing you laugh at one of my stupid jokes, sharing a glass of wine with you in a tub full of vanilla scented bubbles late Saturday night. Most of all I'd just miss having the one person there that makes everything right at the end of a bad day. I need you Meg. I miss you.”

“Even after everything I've put you through?”

“In case you weren't just listening, I'm not completely innocent.”

“But you didn't-”

“But I thought about it and not just once,”he admitted when he interrupted me.

“You know she's never going to leave us alone Donnie.”


“What makes you think that?”

“She doesn't stop until she gets what she wants

“And she wants you,”he said; finishing my sentence. “That won't happen.”

“And how are you so sure?”

“Because WE can beat her at her own game.”

“Together. Sure. But what if you're not with me?” He was the strength in our relationship. Not that I couldn't do it, I just felt more secure when he was standing beside me. I really wanted to go home with him.

“I'm always with you. We can do this,”he reassured me.

He was right. WE could do this. We WERE going to do this. I took his hand and the other curved against his cheek.”Then let's do this”

His lips met met mine and it was like nothing had every happened. We really could make this happen.

When we separated, I smiled. It was the first time in three days that I had.”Let's go home.”