- Text Size +
MEG


I looked down at my cell phone to see the long list of voice mails from Donnie. I'd been gone a little over a week. I disappeared into the recesses of small town America. Somewhere they wouldn't think to look for me. Kansas. I really needed to be away from anything and everything that was my life. I should have got rid of the phone but Sharon made me promise that I would check in with her at least once a week. Just so she knew that I was still living and breathing. Maybe I should get a new phone. Yeah. That's what I was going to do. I had relatives in Kansas City. I could visit them for a couple of days before I returned to the small town of Iola that my parents grew up in. It wasn't a small, small town but it wasn't big enough to be know like a Chicago or New Orleans.


I walked into the Verizon store in Kansas City and was greeted by the salesperson.”Can I help you with anything today?”

“Actually yes. I have a plan but I want to change my number and possibly get a new phone.”

“Bad breakup?” The girl asked.

I just had to get a woman but I replied simply,”Something like that.”

“Okay. Let's see what you've got here and we'll see what we can do for you.” She didn't push which I was grateful for. So an hour later, I had a new model with all my info transferred to it.

I dialed Sharon's number and waited for her to answer. I knew she wasn't going to answer right away but I was happy when she answered after three rings.

“Hello?”

“Hey Share. It's me. Meg.”

“Hey girl! It's so good to hear your voice. How are you doing?”

“I'm doing. How are you?”

“I'm good. I”m just glad you're okay.”

“I told you I'd call.”

“Yeah but from a new phone?”

“I need to clear everything that keeps me connected there Share.”

“Including me?”

“No. I need you.”

“He's going crazy you know.”

“Share. Please.”

“Okay but I don't know how you're doing it.”

“Not very well but there are just some things I need to deal with before he can be a part of my life again. I just pray that he'll wait for me.”

“You know he will Meg. Can I at least tell him I heard from you?”

“Yeah. Listen, I'm gonna go. My cousin just got home. I'll call you next week. Promise.”

“Come back soon Meg.”


DONNIE


It had been a little over two weeks since she'd gone. She'd completely disconnected herself from me. The only thing that kept my hope alive was that she was still keeping in touch with Sharon. At least I knew she was okay. Where she was or what she was doing, I had no clue. Even Sharon was clueless as to her location.

I missed her. Horribly. They say people can die from broken hearts. An actual medical fact. I know it sounds crazy but if animals can, why can't we? We deal more with emotions than they do. Who knows? Maybe we just think we do. I was so tempted just to leave our place and stay somewhere else but her things still remaining reminded me that she wasn't gone for good. I just couldn't sleep in our bed anymore. I'd resorted to sleeping on the couch despite the fact that we had a spare room. You know how you get certain routines in your life that it just doesn't feel right if a part of it is missing? That was it in a nutshell. I threw myself into the job full force. Don't get me wrong. I love what I do but without her to share my day, it feels like work. It is an effort just to get out of bed every day and get myself there.

I couldn't talk to any of the guys about this because they'd think I was nuts for giving up the one thing they all constantly fantasize about. I had that chance. I didn't want it. At least not with Roxy. She was sick and twisted . Maybe if I'd met her in my youth I would have jumped at that chance but Meg was that one constant throughout it all. Through my marriage, my children and my divorce. Even when she wasn't there, she was always in the back of my mind. I just didn't know what I was going to do if she didn't come back. I couldn't even imagine my life without her now. I was having lunch with Sharon that Saturday afternoon when Meg called. Yes, I gave up my round of golf.

“Meg! How's it going?”Sharon greeted and put the phone on speaker; setting it between us.

“I'm doing better. How are things in the big city?”

“Oh they're going. I'm having lunch with a friend.”

“Male or female?”

“A prospective.”

“Ahh.......So is he hot?”

I wanted to grab the phone and tell her to come home but Sharon was trusting me to just listen. Just to hear her voice. The tone of her voice told me she was improving. Maybe she really did just need the space to get herself together. To get us back together. I saw the smirk on Sharon's lips.

“Smokin'.”

Meg giggled. I loved that sound. I couldn't remember the last time I heard that.”Then I guess I should let you get back to your man.”

“He'll keep. I told him about you.”

“Oh God!” She sounded embarrassed. I had to wonder what Sharon did to her when it came to that?

“I promise I didn't embarrass you this time. He's a pretty decent guy. I think you'd like him .”

I mouthed a thank you to Sharon as she continued to talk to Meg.

“Well I'm sure if you like him, I will too.”

“I'm sure you will. He's a keeper but really, how are things going?”

“I'm getting there. Staying in my Great Grandma's house. Still the one part that just gives me the creeps but other than that it, it's nice and comfortable.”

“You doing anything for work?”

“Just a little waitressing in the coffee shop on the square.”

“You sound like you've settled right in.”

“Not really. I miss him but I still need a little more time.”

I fought with every fiber to just blurt out that I missed her too. I had to walk away. I got up and left the table.

“He misses you terribly Meg. Please tell me you don't need that much more time.”

“I'm trying Share. Can you tell him I love him and that I'll be back as soon as I can?”

“Sure. Just don't forget that I miss you too. You're my bestest.”

“I won't. I'll call you next week lady. Later!”

I gave it a few minutes then returned to the table. We sat there in silence before I finally broke it.

“Tell me she's coming home soon.”

Sharon just gave me a look.

I knew it was ridiculous the minute it passed through my lips.

“I can't tell you when but I can tell you she will.” Taking my hand across the table and squeezing it gently.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear but it was a start in the right direction.