- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:



A two fer today! Enjoy!


MEG

“How's it going out here Meg?” Jeff came from the back of the little diner carrying a clipboard. Nice guy. Cute guy. The owner of the place. More hands on than I'd ever seen one get in my life but I guess when you sink your life savings into a place like this, totally feasible.

“Slow,” I replied. It was after the lunch rush so things had slowed down. I was filling the salt and pepper shakers and resupplying the sugar packets for the tables and counters. There was Mr. Gentry that came in about two every day, had a slice of pie, cup of coffee, black and leisurely read a book. Carried it in with him. Wasn't a big talker but he'd told me that I should read something on paper instead of in one of those mechanical doo-dads. I humored him and showed him one day that I actually did own it was a hardcover Jackie Collins I'd kept over the years. I hadn't read it in years either but I couldn't remember why I kept it. Oh yeah, Donnie bought it for me. I guess I really hadn't let go of everything that was there. He wasn't lying when he said he'd always be with me. And some little piece of him was.

“You doing okay?”He sat down at the counter; his arm resting over the clipboard where it sat on the counter.

God he had the most amazing eyes! Where did that come from?! I shook it off and said,” Just a little homesick is all.”

“Well that does tend to happen with those fresh starts.”He joked.

He was that All American kind of guy. Gorgeous blue eyes, nicely toned and when he bent over. NO! I returned his smile. That too. NO! You're just missing Donnie. Is that all Meg? Really? Or are you just so lonely for a man's touch you'll take anything and risk losing what you're trying to get back to. I returned his smile.

“You're gonna be okay Meg. You do know that right?” His hand rest over mine and I didn't pull away.
What was I doing?

“I guess. I just miss my friends is all.” Diverting my eyes to anywhere but near his because we were basically alone. Mr. Gentry paid me no attention once he had everything on his table. I hadn't told him there was a certain friend I was missing more than the others. I should just go home. The alone time at my Great Grandma's house really helped me sort out what it was I'd been contending with.

Jeff drew my gaze back to his.” I know I may be overstepping a boundary here but I've really been holding back.” Our lips moving closer. So close I felt his breath and almost did but I pulled back.

“I'm sorry.”
“Don't be. I had a feeling but I didn't want to believe it. It's not just friends you're missing is it?”

I shook my head.”Jeff, really.... you're a nice guy and I hope one day you find what I hope I still have waiting back home for me.”

“If it's as good as you believe it is then I'm sure he can't wait to have you back in his arms.”

“Thank you. You know I'll finish my shift here for you.”

“No. You go. I can take care of this.”

“Thank you.”



DONNIE


Sharon had a few people over that Saturday night and had invited me in hopes that I would quit moping. I wanted to and for a little bit I forgot that it had been a month since she'd gone. Everybody had gone and I was the last one there. I helped her clean up. I was really just looking for a reason to ask about Meg. If she was doing okay and what not. We were carrying some dishes into the kitchen when she asked me if I'd had a good time. “I did but I still miss her Sharon.”

She sat the plates in the sink and looked at me.”So do I but until she comes back, we have to keep living our lives.”

“Don't you think I'm trying?!” I returned; frustrated. Thank God I'd already put what I'd carried into the kitchen in the sink. I leaned on the counter.

“I know you are but don't you get pissy with me. I'm the one thing that's giving you that ounce of connection you have to her right now! I wish to God I knew where she was. I'd fucking drag her ass home. Kicking and screaming all the way.”

I looked up and her and laughed. It was the first time since she'd gone that I'd done that and meant it.
“Yes you would.”

Sharon moved closer and ran her hand over my folded arm. What was that? It should have felt like comfort but it didn't. Her hand continued to rest there as she said to me,”You're gonna be fine.”

I don't know if it was the fact that I hadn't had a warm body next to me in awhile or what but there I was, looking at Sharon like she was the hottest thing alive. I knew where my heart was but my lips were moving closer to hers. And she wasn't pulling away from me. Not initially.

We got that close before she stepped back and looked at me.”What the fuck are we doing?”