- Text Size +
Oh My God! Was this really happening? Maybe I was dreaming? No. Felt pretty real but it wasn't exactly the fairytale, down on one knee movie version she'd dreamed of over the years. Did it really matter how he proposed you idiot?! She scolded herself. The man was waiting for an answer. One that should have been immediate.

“Meg?” His brow rose in inquiry.

“Yes.” Wasn't I supposed to be bouncing off the walls with joy or something? I mean the man of my dreams just asked me to spend the rest of my life with him. Doesn't that warrant some sort of celebration?

“Yes to my proposal?”

“Yes!” There we go! That's how that was supposed to be. Maybe I still afraid it wasn't real.. I was overwhelmed. After all these years, we were finally going to make it official. Without a second thought, I pulled his lips to mine and thanked him. I was going to get my dream wedding but as I came back to Earth with him I pondered,”Is this because of everything that's happened?”

“No. I was going to ask before you left and now, it just seemed the right time. I love you Meg. Since the day I met you. I was just too young and stupid then. I'm not about to make that mistake now that you're here.”

“ I love you too. Now let's go to bed. I've got a lot of stuff to do in the morning.”

He smiled.

I was into my planning mode. There was no stopping once I got started.

“One thing before we do.”

“What?”

“You're gonna want a ring aren't you?”

I hadn't even ventured there but yes, I did. It was the one thing that was missing.”Yes.”

“Then we'll go shopping this weekend and make it official.”

“Now can we go to bed?”

“For a girl that just got engaged, you sure are in a hurry to get to bed.....Oh.”

He knew the look in my eye. There was a reason I wanted to get back to our bed. I wanted to show him just how much I loved him.



The next afternoon, I waited outside the office building until Sharon was off. I had a huge apology to make and I wasn't about to do it inside. I caught her just as she was walking out the door. I knew she wasn't happy to see me but I had to make amends with her.”Share I came to apologize!” I yelled as she wasn't answering any of my other request for her attention. She turned and looked at me.

“What changed your mind?”

“Jon.”

“How is you're so stubborn with the rest of us but you'll listen to him?”

“To tell the truth, I really don't know but he made me see the error of my ways. I really am sorry. I was acting like that time you kissed that boy I liked in high school. Remember Todd?”

“Boy do I ever! You didn't speak to me for a week.”

“I know but I'm a grown woman now and I should have just let it go knowing it was only a kiss but he is my guy this time. I just flew off the handle and I'm sorry. Besides, I'm gonna be needing a maid of honor and I think Jon would look pretty silly in a dress don't you?”

“Um yeah but what does that have to do with anything? OH MY GOD! He proposed?”

“Last night after we made up.”

“Well it's about damn time girl! Where's your ring lady?” She returned; searching my hand for the shiny object.

“We're going shopping for one this weekend.”

“Finally.”

“So does this mean I'm forgiven?”

“Of course you are. I wouldn't miss this for the world. You busy for dinner?”

“Nope. I'm on my own tonight.”

“Then let's go. My treat and we'll start discussing dresses.”



DONNIE


I'm still in shock that she said yes. Okay maybe not shock but I'm surprised she didn't make me get down on my knee and do it the old fashioned way. I had actually got her Father's approval before she came back home so I did do something in her traditional plan. I was on my dinner break when my phone rang. I looked down at the caller ID and picked it up as I finished a bite of my burger.”What's up Jon?”

“Not much. Is everything okay with you and Meg?”

“Better than you can imagine.” Getting this goofy grin on my face. It was official. She had me wrapped around her little finger. I would give her the world if I could. “But I guess you know about what happened with Sharon huh?”

“Yeah. Sharon called me. Thought I could talk some sense into Meg.”

“Well you always seem to have the magic touch where that's concerned.”

“I don't know how.”

“I wouldn't knock it. She doesn't have many people in her life she trusts like us.”

“So tell me something Don, why are you so up tonight? Aren't you on the set?”

“Yeah but I proposed to Meg last night and she said yes!” I announced to him proudly.

“Well it's about fucking time man! Congratulations!”

“She didn't even make me get down on my knee like I thought she would.”

“Meg's traditional in a lot of ways but I think she would have been happy if you were in the park pushing her on a swing and brought it up. As long as you're together. That's all she's ever wanted.”

“And that's all I've ever wanted.”

“I'm happy for you man. So have you decided on a date?”

“Not yet. I did just ask her.”

“I know, I know. I just want to make sure my calender's clear for the event of the century.”

“Make fun all you want but I'm going to make sure she gets the wedding of her dreams.”

“As long as you're there, it will be.”

“Listen, I gotta go but thanks for helping out. I may even let you make the first toast.”

“I'll hold you to that. Later.”

I hung up and thought to myself, he's right. After all these years, nobody ever thought we'd get there. We were going to have the wedding of the century.