- Text Size +
DONNIE


We never did find anything that compared that day but I got the idea from something she'd told me about her brother and what he did. Apparently a lot of men these days are designing the rings themselves then adding the band on their wedding day. I was young when I got married the first time and I thought a woman needed that big piece of bling to show how much I loved her. Now I know that's not the case. So back to the ring, after much debate, I came up with the idea to do something like that open heart thing. Like the first piece of jewelry I bought her not realizing she's not really a jewelry girl other than earrings. It was the open heart pendant from Jane Seymour's collection I think the salesgirl told me. It didn't matter to me who designed it as long as Meg loved it. So, now here we are three weeks later and I was having Sharon take her for a girl's day of pampering. Jon had come down for the weekend and he was going to meet me at the jeweler later. I didn't want Meg to know he was in town yet because after all the girlie stuff, Sharon was going to bring her to our favorite restaurant and I was going to make this whole thing official. Yeah Sharon and I had mended our differences and realized how stupid we'd been by letting it happen. “Meg! Sharon's here!” I called out as I let her in.

“So when are you going to get it?” Sharon whispered as we waited for Meg to respond.

“I'll be right out!”she called back

“After you guys leave I'm meeting Jon at the jeweler,” I answered Sharon.

“So what time are we supposed to be there again?” She asked as we continued our conversation in a hushed tone.

“Six thirty.”

“Great. Hey Meg!”Sharon greeted.

“Hey lady!”She returned and gave her a quick hug with her free arm. She was carrying a couple of bridal magazines in the other.

“Got everything?” I teased her.

“I thought you were treating me to this day,”she turned her attention to me.

“I am.” I pulled her into my arms; the magazines between us. I kissed her and let her go.”Enjoy your day beautiful.”

After Sharon showed her distaste for our display, Meg grabbed her purse and they headed out the door. There we go. I pulled my cell out and dialed Jon.”Hey man. Yeah. They're gone. Meet you there in an hour.”

I was still worried about how it was going to turn out but when the jeweler brought it out to show us, I had no doubt in my mind she was going to fall in love with it.

“You designed that?” Jon questioned me.

“Well I had a little help with the concept but yeah.”

“We had a salesgirl that ruined the one that she really had her eye on and I wasn't going to argue with her plus I wasn't going to give the girl a sale when all she wanted was a piece of me.”

“You were there with your fiance and the girl was still eying you like you were on the market?”

“I know. I never told Meg that I knew. I just noticed the ring she had her eye on and built from there.”

“She's gonna love this Donnie.”

“I had my doubts before but I agree.”

“You're not nervous about this at all?”

“No. This time it's for real.”

“I'm sorry to interrupt sir but how will you be taking care of the remaining payment today?” The salesman inquired.

I pulled out my wallet and handed him my American Express.

“Very well sir. I'll be right back.”

“I still can't believe you're finally doing it. You and Meg that is. I never thought you'd get around to it.”

“I got a second chance. I'm not letting it go.”




MEG


Sharon and I had our feet soaking in the nice little foot massaging tubs when I found the most beautiful dress in the magazine. The whole fairytale princess thing from the Disney collection. Cinderella's wedding gown.”Look at this Share. Oh my God. It's so perfect.”

She took the magazine from me and studied it.”I thought you wanted something simple girlie?”

“When it comes to my ring yes but I've been waiting all my life for this moment. I want the big white wedding.”

Sharon turned the page and handed it back to me.”That right there I think is more you.”

It was pink, ruffly and off the shoulder. She was right. It was me. If I wanted to have it all, I needed to make sure it was me. I earmarked the page and continued thumbing through the thick book.

“Meg?”

“Yeah?”

“Is there a reason you don't have a ring yet?”

“Just haven't found the right one yet.”

“Hmmm...... Donnie told me you had.”

“There was one but the salesgirl was a bitch and a half. She apparently thought I wasn't good enough for him and she was even sizing him up like he was available. Can you believe that?”

“Well you do have a hot man Meg.”

“I know but when I said WE were looking for an engagement ring, she should have pulled the fuck me eyes off of him and got back to professional.”

Sharon laughed at me.

I don't know as what I said was so funny but it must have been; giving her a curious look.

“The fuck me eyes Meg. That's what it was.” She explained after her laughter had subsided.”But seriously, you believe in karma so the bitch will get what's coming to her when she least expects it.”

“I know. It just pissed me off and you know it takes a lot to piss me off.”

“I know. So have you decided on our dresses yet? You know bridesmaids and maid of honor and such.”

“I've barely picked out mine and I've only been engaged three weeks lady.”

“Okay.”Sharon looked at her watch.”Shit!”

“What's up?”

“We've gotta get going here. I told Donnie we'd meet up with him for dinner.”

“Okay. “


Half an hour later, we were at my favorite restaurant and there was Donnie and Jon. I hadn't seen Jon in forever. After I kissed Donnie, I gave Jon the biggest squeeze.”Its so good to see you. When did you get in?”

“Last night actually. I've been staying with Sharon.”

“Why do I feel like there's something going on here that I had no part of?”

“Actually there is,” he supplied and pulled out the chair for me. Once I was seated, a bottle of wine was ordered.

I looked to Donnie and he just took my hand.”Honey, what's going on?”

“You trust me right?”He replied.

“Of course I do.”

“Then let's wait for the wine and I'll tell you then okay?”

“Okay.”I hated surprises and anticipation. I wanted everything yesterday. Hell, you think I'd be more patient considering how long I waited for him. The wine arrived soon after that and after the glasses were filled, all was revealed. He was down on his knee. OH. MY. GOD. I turned my chair to face him.

“I know I've already asked for your hand but I thought that I should do it the right way. The way you deserve. Meg Sampson, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?” He said as he presented the the ring in the little blue box.

It was gorgeous. The open hearts with a half karat diamond in the center. It was even better than the one I'd fallen in love with.”Yes!“