- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


The weekend's here. Which is a bad thing for those reading because it means no access to a computer for me til Tuesday. In the meantime, enjoy this until I return:)



We answered simultaneously ; one negative and one positive response. You can guess which one was mine. I was beyond pissed off at her still. This only compounded my anger.”Get out!” I said.

“Hey Jon!” she smiled sweetly in his direction; ignoring my request.

“Leave!”

“But Meg, I just got here,”she pouted.

“And now you're leaving. Goodbye!”

“But gorgeous.”

She gave me a look that normally would have had me grabbing her and pinning her against the wall. I'd found I had a bravery with her that never existed with men. I never had a problem with men, I was always taught that men were supposed to do all the pursuing. So why was it I'd done all the chasing with her? Was it different with this? I didn't know. It was all still fresh to me. I didn't know if there were rules and such.“Get the fuck out of here! Now!”

“You don't have to be such a bitch!”

“Apparently you don't know me as well as you think you do Rox. I can turn bitch way up if you want me to.” I swear there was steam shooting out of my ears. I really wanted to strangle her but knowing what I knew, she most likely would have enjoyed it.

“Okay. I'll go. Nice seeing you Jon!” She waved over my shoulder and stepped out the still wide open door. After turning the deadbolt, I leaned against it; forgetting that Jon was still in the room.

“Care to explain?”

My eyes popped open. Shit! How was I going to sell this one? There was no way in hell he was going to buy that just happened. I'd known him too long. He's the reason I'd met Donnie. I'd known Jonathan since high school when my family moved. Sure I'd met Donnie but I was into completely different things in my life as was he at that time. We came back together about the same time they regrouped for their comeback. Jon was my best friend through the remainder of the years we spent in school together. Which was the end of my junior and full senior year. It was hard being the only that hadn't spent their entire lives there. Jon was the only one that extended his friendship and thus found a group of friends through him. They were good friends. I didn't know of Jonathan's 'preferences' until after we graduated. That I was never very good at. “Not particularly.”

“Oh come on Meg. I bet it's a doozy of a story. I've got all afternoon.”
I knew that look all too well. He'd already judged the situation before he had the facts. Maybe he'd go easy on me once he had them? Who was I kidding? I knew him too well. He would still judge me but not for the reasons I would think.”Me too. Let's do this over lunch.”

“No. You're going to sit down and tell me what the hell just happened here.”

“Fine.” I followed him to the couch and sat down with him.

“So when did this happen?”

“It's been going on a few months. Give or take.” I picked at the cuticles of my nails. I always did when I was nervous.

“Does Donnie know?”

“Um...yeah.”

“Do I even want to know how?”

“Well you know this much, so you probably should. He caught us in our bed in a rather compromising position. Before that afternoon, it had been a strictly above the waist production.”

“And you're still here?”

“I guess he doesn't want to give up. I don't either.”

“Did she convince you to try?”

“What? You think just because she's overly confident she could have talked me into liking girls?”

“I know Roxy.” He rose his brow knowingly.

“I know but Roxy is not to blame here. I was the one that initiated the whole thing.”

“Are you going through a midlife crisis Meg?”

“God Jon! You of all people I expected to be a little more supportive of my confusion.”

“I'm trying to understand it. I've known you all these years and I've never once seen you so much as turn your head to look at a woman as more than competition, not a prospective hookup.”

“That's why I'm confused. I was curious. I never expected it to go this far.”

“And yet it did. I'm really torn here Meg. I mean I should tell Donnie what happened but on the other hand, I don't want you to lose him. You two are good together. It just took him twenty five years to get there.”

“I know. That's why I'm so broke up over what I feel about her. You know me, I was brought up to believe boys and girls live happily ever after, not girls and girls live happily ever after.”

“So you feel that strong about Roxy?”

“I'm not sure what I feel for her Jon. I just know I do. I don't think I'd be quite as confused if she'd been somebody I'd just met but she's my best girlfriend and....God! What am I doing Jon?! I love Donnie. I don't want to lose him . Maybe I am going through a midlife crisis.”

“Maybe but don't you think if you're gonna survive this you should be honest with him and tell him what's really going on in here.”Putting his hand over my heart.”Instead of what you think he should hear.”

I took his hand from where it was.”I appreciate what you're saying but he knows I'm confused. He's confused. Please don't say anything before I can figure this out.” I saw the hesitation in his eyes.”Please Jon. I need to know that I can trust somebody right now. You're the only friend that knows.” I realized I was putting him in an awkward position but I needed somebody on my side.

“Okay. I'll keep it under wraps until you get your head straight.”

“Thank you.” I hugged him graciously. I should have known it wouldn't last long when my emotion wasn't reciprocated.




DONNIE



I suspected something was up that night. I knew that Jon and Meg had been friends forever but I also knew that he was never very good at holding things in. He'd always been reserved but this was beyond that. It was like a little kid at Christmas time that knew what his Mommy was getting and couldn't tell because Daddy told him not to. That's what this was. We'd just got back from dinner. Meg had gone in to the kitchen and after hanging my jacket up, I said,”Freeze.”

He turned around and looked at me. I could see it. He was holding something in that he didn't want to and I approached him.

”Let's have a little man to man before Meg gets back out here shall we?”I said.

“Sure. What's on your mind?”He replied unsteadily.

“That's what I'd like to know. What's going on Jon? You've been quiet all night. It's not like you to have nothing to say.”

“Don, I'd really rather not talk about it. Just something I don't want to bother anybody with til I figure it out.”

“We are friends Jon. You know we can talk about anything.”

“I know but I just think I need to keep this one to myself for now.”

“You sure?” I could see he was hesitating but I was determined to get an answer from him.

“No I'm not. I have this friend that asked me to keep things under wraps until they knew what was going on themselves and I just don't feel comfortable doing it.”

“What is it?”

“This afternoon after you left....well, Roxy showed up here.”

“Really?” I wanted to stay calm but I swore I would kill her if she ever stepped foot in this apartment. It was bad enough I was having dreams about her. The one that bothered me the most was the one where I was watching them and getting my jollies to their girl action. I'd been witness to it already but this was a whole different scenario. Meg had asked me to watch. The really sick part was I found myself wanting to take Roxy from behind as she got Meg off and I could watch her do it in the midst of it all.”Something else happened didn't it?”

“Uh.....maybe Meg should tell you what happened.”Noticing her appearance in the living room.

“Tell him what?”She looked at Jon then to me.

She was playing dumb. It was very obvious. Setting the cups of tea on the end table she looked at me again.”What happened when Roxy was here this afternoon Meg?”

She glared at Jonathan then looked at me.” You had just left and Jon was making a quick call when the knock on the door came. I thought maybe you forgot the key so I opened it thinking it was you. Roxy burst in here pretty much like nothing had happened and before I could stop her, she kissed me.”

“What the fuck is going on with you Meg?! It's like I can't even leave here anymore without wondering if she's gonna show up and fuck you in our bed?”

“It's better than you fucking her in our bed.”

“What are you talking about?!” I had to pretend I had no idea what she was talking about because I knew exactly what it was.

“That may have been me there physically but you were riding Roxy into the ground! Don't even try to deny it!” I was mad at Jon but I felt bad for him having to be involved in this. Good thing he knew when to disappear. Too bad he could still hear it.


I was still the victim here right?”Okay. I won't but you need to fix this. You're the one that brought her into this goddam relationship!”