- Text Size +

Izzy and Brian stayed in their seats and watched as the people around them started exiting the plane.  The man on the end looked down at the two sitting there and rolled his eyes before grabbing his things and going.  Neither one could figure out what that was for but they continued to sit and wait.  It wasn’t long before the men in the suits were walking by their aisle.  Izzy kept her eyes on them, they had no luggage with them which was unusual for business travelers but they also did not look towards Brian and Izzy. 


When the plane was relatively empty the twosome got up and grabbed their things.  Only a family trying to get their children and their stuff together remained on the plane as they exited. 


“There you are, I was starting to get worried,” Megan ran up to them as soon as they exited the plane.  “I saw those men in suits and thought they got to you.” She said dropping her voice low enough that only the three could hear. 


Izzy craned her neck and saw the men in suits walking towards the terminal exit.  If they were after them they were doing a good job of lulling them into a sense of comfort.  They never looked in their direction, they continued on their way. 


“I think they might actually be simply men in suits, perhaps on a business trip.” Izzy spoke up as the men rounded a corner and disappeared.  


Megan turned to look in that direction and, not seeing them, nodded her head in agreement with Izzy.   She fell in step behind Izzy and Brian as they walked through the terminal and towards the exit.  They saw the men standing near the baggage claim again but neither one seemed to be watching the belts for any luggage. 


“Strange,” Brian commented before grabbing Izzy’s elbow and steering her towards the exit. Megan looked in the direction of the men and made a small squeak when she noticed they started to follow them.  


“Stay public transportation,” Izzy whispered.  “They won’t do anything in public.” 


“How do you know?” Brian asked. 


Izzy shrugged unsure of where her own knowledge about these mysterious men would be coming from.  The three managed to make their way onto an already crowded shuttle bus.  Izzy started to relax and she could tell the others were too, until the doors opened again and the two men in suits clambered aboard.   Izzy turned her back away from the men and focused on Brian and Megan’s faces.  


“Ignoring them won’t make them go away if they really are part of that same group that attacked us already.” Brian smirked at Izzy knowing exactly what she was trying to do.  


Izzy shot Brian a deadly glare. “Smartass,” She teased.  Feeling the sensation of déjà vu rush through her as soon as the words escaped her mouth. 


They continued to ride in silence.  None of them thought it would be a good idea to discuss their situation while on board a crowded bus.  Brian had managed to produce a ball cap and he was now wearing it low on his face.   When the bus lurched, Izzy flew towards Brian despite her having a firm hold on the bar in the middle of the bus.  She could feel her heart racing as his caught her and helped her stand upright again.


Brian stood close to Izzy after he caught her.  He felt compelled to stand close to her, his finger running lightly down her arm.   He could feel her eyes on him as he brushed the hair off of her shoulder.  He glanced up as the bus slowed. Seeing familiar trees he decided they needed to make a move to ditch the men in black. 


 “Get off here,” he demanded as he pushed both girls towards the exit.  The barely managed to make off the bus in time.  They all sighed in relief as they noticed the men still on the bus.  Neither one of them were looking in their direction.  Perhaps they were just traveling men after all.  


“Where now,” Megan asked since they stood in front of a restaurant, not a church.


“We walk a few blocks.” Brian smiled.


Izzy was beginning to feel comfortable every time Brian smiled at her.  She hoped that he felt the same about her, she didn’t know why, but she knew her heart would break if anything happened to Brian. 


“A few blocks. So where the bus lets off next?” Megan asked looking at the bus route on the side of the bus stop. 


Brian’s nose scrunched as he thought about it.  “Dang, I think you are right.”


“So the suits can get off there and be waiting for us?” Megan questioned.


“If they know where we are going.” Izzy pointed out. 


Megan looked down the street in the direction the bus drove off in and shook her head.   “We should get moving just in case.” She decided and started to walk whether the other two were joining her or not. 


They were all hot by the time they reached the doors to the church.  Brian pulled the doors open.  He felt full of pride being able to show off his church to his companions.  He was proud of everything the church had accomplished; proud of the time he had put in to help.  He hesitated at the doors trying to remember if his memories of how he helped the church were more than six months old.  His heart dropped when he realized much of what he had done was when he was younger, but he aided the church only a few weeks ago.  That, he knew, was something he had done. 


Feeling comforted that even if this wasn’t the church he’d grown up with he’d at least made an effort to help the church and the surrounding community. 


“Brian, it’s so good to see you again.” Pastor Mike approached the group and embraced Brian.  


“Can we talk?” Brian asked the Pastor and they strolled away leaving Izzy and Megan standing alone in the church to look around. 


Megan and Izzy looked around at the stained glass for awhile longer before Megan started to walk towards the front of the church. She watched as her friend kneeled on the steps to the altar and crossed herself.  Izzy had forgotten that Megan had a deep rooted faith. There were many things Izzy had forgotten about her friend as she dragged her through danger after danger.   Perhaps she should get her friend a ticket home and away from everything going on?  It would be the right thing to do as her friend. 


Izzy sat and watched Megan pray for awhile longer before she turned her eyes to look in Brian’s direction.   They were in deep conversation but it was almost as if Brian could tell she was looking towards him.  He lifted his face and looked towards her, smiling. 


It wasn’t long before Brian and his Pastor were making their way over to where Izzy was sitting.  She stood as they approached and wiped her dirty, sweaty hands on her pants before taking the Pastor’s hand that was outstretched to her. 


“Brian’s been telling me that you are a friend of him and his wife.  This may not be their regular church, but you couldn’t ask for two more devoted members than Brian and Leighanne,” the pastor continued to smile and hold Izzy’s hand.   “He has also told me that you have run into some trouble.  I have not asked for details since I trust him, but you all are more than welcome to stay next door at the mission for the night.   You will have a bed, a meal and whatever protection the church can offer. “ 


“We can’t do that,” Brian protested when he heard the offer.  “I am not broke, Mike.  I can afford a place for us to stay the night.  I insist the mission beds remain open for those who really need a place to stay.”  Brian smiled and placed his hand on Mike’s shoulder.  “I appreciate the offer though.”


“What if they are watching our cards?” Izzy protested.  She noticed the strange look the Pastor was giving her she realized he still had her hand and quickly pulled it back.  She felt uncomfortable talking in front of him, but the man had not attacked them, tried to inject them with a needle or, it seemed, had not called anyone to do it for him. 


Brian shook his head. “I took a large amount of cash out before we headed to the airport.  They shouldn’t be able to trace the cash.” 


Izzy nodded her head.  It was smart of Brian to use the card in the city they were in, the city that people knew they were in.  Using the card at the destination would have tipped off whoever was following them to their new location. 


Brian took hold of Izzy’s hand, the hand she had pulled away from the Pastor.  Megan had finally wandered back towards the group and they introduced her to Mike.  Izzy noticed the Pastor’s eyes falling on her had that Brian was still holding.  She wondered if he would try to contact Leighanne about it or if he would have a talk with Brian later.  Friend’s held hands though right?


“Any help you can give us we appreciate.” Brian smiled.  Izzy wondered what help he could provide. Brian had already turned down the place to stay.   “And we will help serve the evening meal tonight as our way of showing thanks.”


Izzy was about to protest when Mike thanked them all heartily and showed them through the doors to the kitchen where he put them to work immediately helping.  She got the feeling he was used to hurrying volunteers to work before they could think about it and change their minds.  In the end, Izzy gave in and spooned soup to the hundreds of homeless that streamed through the mission.  Every person that came through the line she looked over wondering if they, at any minute, were going to attack her and make her forget.     

Chapter End Notes:

Okay that sort of felt like filler too, but since chapter 22 was cut in half and this was the end ... I suppose it makes sense.  :)