- Text Size +

Izzy turned her car into the parking lot of the college campus.  She’d been staying with Megan the last couple of days but she could no longer shut herself away from the world.  Despite the strange occurrences of the past few days, and though she took a few extra days off of her job she felt it was time to finally get back to finishing her Master’s degree.   She scheduled time to meet with her advisor that morning and then was planning to go the library on campus to research. 

Distracted by gathering all her stuff out of her car she picked up her phone on the first ring. “Hello?”

“Izzy, thank God you answered.  I’ve been wanting to talk to you.”  Natalie’s voice crackled slightly on the other end. 

“I don’t have time for this Natalie.  After the other night we are through being friends, leave my key and get out of my place.” 

“You don’t understand Izzy, what I tried to do the other night was for your own good.” Natalie pleaded on the phone. 

“I don’t have time; I am meeting with my advisor.  Please just leave my key and get out.”  Izzy ended the call hanging on up on Natalie.  She couldn’t see how the other girl attempting to drug her would be for her own good.  Tossing her phone back into her purse Izzy trudged over to her advisor’s office.  She stood in front of Dr. Thompson’s office for a few seconds before reaching forward to knock.  

“Hello Izzy.” He smiled as she knocked and entered the office.  “How have you been?”

“Good,” She stated. She liked her advisor but she was here to get advice on her thesis not to talk about the strangeness of the last few days.   

“So what did you want to talk about?” He asked his pen poised over a notepad ready to take any notes he might need to help her along. 

Izzy started to discuss her paper with her professor but as she talked flashes of classes that she couldn’t remember taking started to come to mind.  She had so many classes to get her Bachelors and now her Masters that it wouldn’t surprise her if the class she was having flashes of was somewhere on her transcript.  

She tried to listen to the advice her mentor was giving her but her mind continued to focus on the professor in her head talking about line and color, an art class?  Izzy knew that she hadn’t taken any art classes for Bachelors in Math and now working towards her Masters in Business.   Shaking her head she focused on the words of her advisor.

“Izzy, what is going on with you?” Her Dr. Thompson asked as he moved to the chair next to her.  “You seem distracted today.”  He moved to put his hand on her knee but pulled it back quickly as it would probably be inappropriate. 

“Some things happened that have my mind a little messed up,” She admitted. 

“Anything I can help with?” 

Izzy thought about it for a minute.  Dr. Thompson had been like a father to her the last couple of years.  Her own father and mother had died when she was young and without any brothers or sisters he had always felt like family to her.  She felt comfortable talking about anything with him but she felt guarded over the recent occurrences.   What if she told him about what happened at the concert and he flipped out on her like Natalie, she wasn’t sure she could handle that from two people. 

She decided that she could tell him what was bothering her without going into details, “Just a friend who has gone a little psycho on me.” Izzy attempted a smile. 

“Not sure if there such a thing as “a little psycho”.  Be careful.” His face expressed the same concern and compassion she was used to seeing from him.  She almost broke down and told him the entire story but he continued to talk.  “I think you should probably consider taking today off, I know you want to get into your thesis but if your head is not on straight anything you accomplish today will not be completely taken in and I’m afraid you would double your efforts later.”

Izzy nodded in agreement.  “Taking another day might not be a bad idea.  Thanks.” Izzy smiled and grabbed her bags and headed out the door. 

“Remember my door is always open if you need an ear.” Dr. Thompson’s voice followed her out the door.

“Okay, thank you.” She called back before closing the door behind her. 

Izzy made her way through the building and headed outside.  She knew that Dr. Thompson was right.  If she tried to go to the library to research that day that she might not be focused enough to really absorb what she was reading.  It would be better for her to figure out what was going on with her first.  

“Izzy!” Natalie’s voice was loud and clear. Izzy turned to face Natalie who looked like she had been crying for several hours.  The other girl approached Izzy slowly.  “Please, hear me out.” She begged Izzy.

“Natalie, I don’t know what you were trying to do to me the other night but a friend does not try to drug another friend.  Plus, I am sick of the bickering between you and Megan. “

“I know I understand I will work at being a better friend. I will try to get along with Megan for your sake.” She said as she advanced closer still to Izzy.  “As for the other thing, it wasn’t drugs.  It was a sleeping pill. After all you went through I thought you could use the sleep.”  She smiled at Izzy but something about her face didn’t have Izzy convinced.

“No,” Izzy said flatly and turned to walk away from her former friend.

“Fine, we’ll do this the hard way.” Natalie’s pleading voice changed to a voice of detest.  Izzy turned in time to see Natalie lunge at her with something in her hand.  She moved quickly enough to get out of the other girl’s path and caught sight of the syringe in her hand. 

“What the hell!” Izzy shrieked catching the attention of a few co-eds passing by. 

Natalie paid no attention the crowd that was gathering to watch them; instead she lunged towards Natalie again.  This time she managed to get close and was almost able to get the needle into Izzy’s skin. 

Izzy braced herself for feeling whatever she would feel when the plunger was pushed down but no feeling ever came.  She looked up to see Natalie being pulled off of her by a couple of guys.  

“Natalie, we are through as friends.  Next time I see you anywhere near me I will call the police.” Izzy shouted at the girl who was still being restrained by the two guys.  It was tempting to call the police on the spot but something deep down was telling her that the police would be no good in this situation.

Natalie smirked at Izzy and managed to get the arms of the two men off of her.  Laughing at Izzy, Natalie turned in the opposite direction and started to run off. 

Izzy felt scared, more scared than she had when she and Megan were being chased by unknown men.  What was going to happen with her former crazy friend on the loose?