- Text Size +

She stared out the window as the scenery blurred by.  She had managed to look at the speedometer and noticed Kevin had pushed to the maximum speed but the car wasn’t having any issues.  The fuel stick he had used must have had an additive to keep the car running at optimum no matter the strain it was under.  Even with the boost she knew it was a matter of time before the engine couldn’t take it anymore and the car would die. She’d used speed sticks many times on assignment from The Company.  She could only hope that they reached the train and found Brian and Megan before then. 


Now that she remembered everything, she couldn’t help but think about her past and what lead her to this point.  She’d always known that The Company had used some mind control, it was important that they used it every so often so that the population was unaware of The Company and what they did, who they protected and who they protected the majority from.  


The Company was trying to find ways to make better use of their resources.  It was becoming difficult to ensure that the people who had been exposed to what they do did not remember what they had seen.  The use of the television and the radio was good for short term effects and worked well enough on the majority of people never had to be dosed again since often they would simply believe what they had seen had been part of a dream instead.  There were others that the effects would not last as long with.  The Company tried to figure out why these people were immune and started to develop a stronger form of the wash that was used to wipe their memories of certain events.


The drug that was created was determined by The Company to be too extreme to use on the public, but it was kept.  It would be useful to use on their own people that needed complete new memories so that they couldn’t remember who they were or what they had done.  Isabelle scowled to her reflection in the window, she had voted to keep the drug and it was used on her. 


The Company continued to find a way to have a longer brainwash on the public.  The advancement of the planets technology aided with their search.  Phones were advancing and it didn’t take long for The Company to find a way to make use of the phones to create a longer lasting brainwash.  It didn’t hurt that they were making the phone to have internet access and applications such as games.  The human race would be plugged into their phones soon and The Company could take advantage of that.  They made sure each phone emitted a frequency that would keep the person’s memories of whatever they saw away, keeping The Company safe. 


“Brian don’t you see the possibilities with this new technology.  I will no longer be dispatched to help keep the unruly humans under.  It is only to help ensure our safety.”  Isabelle and Brian were sitting across from each other at their favorite restaurant discussing the newest development brought forth by The Company.  “I could be home more, we could finally start our family,” Isabelle reached across and placed her hand gently on Brian’s.  She knew he’d wanted to start a family but with her job taking her across the country and sometimes the world on a moment’s notice, they were finding it difficult to find the right time to really start.


 “No, Isabelle, you don’t understand what this technology can lead to.” He moved closer to her and started to whisper.  “What will stop The Company from using it to take over this planet, from enslaving the population?”


“Brian, don’t be ridiculous. The Company would never do that.  It’s not our purpose here.  We came here to create a new life.  We only wanted to be able to live where we could be free, freer than our home would allow.”  Isabelle had to be careful not to speak about their home world aloud.  Too many humans around them could hear and then they would possibly need mind altering. 


Brian looked at her sharply to reprimand her for how she was talking.  One of the reasons they chose this planet was because they looked similar to the humans, externally.  It was usually those who saw what they looked like internally that had to have their minds altered, or those that overheard dangerous conversations like Isabelle and Brian were having.


“I think your worries are in your head,” Isabelle said removing her hand from Brian’s. 


Isabelle could feel a tear falling down her cheek.  That dinner had been one of the last times they had lead a normal life before everything happened.   They had gone home that night and made up after their disagreement.    Isabelle opened the glove box in front of her and found what she hoped would be there, a knife.   She stuck the tip of the blade into her skin and cringed. 


“What are you doing?” Kevin asked as the car swerved slightly since he briefly took his eyes off the road.


“I want to make sure,” Isabelle pushed the blade in further.  The red blood dripped onto the seats. Eventually the red became blue and Isabelle sighed with relief.  “Needed to see for myself that what I am remembering now is true.”  She smeared her blood on her arm and put her head back smiling.  The wound was already healing. 


Kevin nodded and continued to drive.  Dark clouds started to fill the sky but Isabelle doubted it would rain much if it did rain. 


She was about to walk into her superior’s office.  She needed to debrief her latest assignment.  She’d caught the man who constantly got tattoos.  It wasn’t that he was getting the tattoos; it was because he constantly went to human tattoo artists and he didn’t take care to change his blood to red prior to going.  Voices inside caught her attention and she stopped at the door and listened.  


“We shouldn’t have to hide.  With technology we could rule this planet.  Instead we hide as if we are part of their population.” The voice she was hearing was not her boss’. 


“I agree, but you know the current administration wouldn’t hear of it,” This voice was not her superior’s either but Isabelle recognized it as a very important part of the Council. 


Isabelle quickly moved away as the door opened and the two men walked out.  She made it appear that she was approaching the office instead of leaving.  “Is he there?” she asked as if she had heard nothing.


“No, he’s in a meeting until one.”  She nodded and turned to walk away, hoping that neither of them saw how quickly she wanted to escape.


After talking it over with Brian the night after she overheard the conversation, Brian convinced her to bring it up with her superior.  He should be made away that there are dangerous grumblings.  She agreed with him and headed into the office early to talk with him before many others arrived. 


“Hello,” she called out as she knocked on the door.  It was open so she pushed.  The light was on but she couldn’t see anyone.  “Hello,” She called out again.   Slowly she moved closer to the desk.


Isabelle pulled her knees closer as she remembered seeing the man’s body on the floor drenched in his own blood.  She was not a screamer, but she put her hand to her mouth to stifle any other noise she might make.  It was her training that kicked in when she saw the body.  She rifled through the papers on the desk, desperate to find any other information she could, anything that might lead her to the killer even though she had her suspicions already.


She wasn’t sure how she could ever forget the face of the woman that stood at the door watching her.  The look of horror she had, Isabelle would have thought that image would stay with her even through a memory wipe.  The woman screamed and alerted security.  They were there mere seconds later.  Shouts of killer were thrown at her as she fought her way out of the building.  She knew none of the men they sent after her could capture her.  She was unique.  Something about women Cleaners made them better fighters.


She went home and told Brian what she had seen, what she had been accused of. 


“We have to get out of here,” He was throwing clothes and some of their belongings into bags as he talked to her. 


“Brian, you aren’t wanted; you don’t have to go into hiding with me.” Isabelle didn’t want his life to be turned upside down for her.


“We will prove your innocence and then there will be no issue,” He stopped and touched her face gently.  “I could never leave you, especially when you need someone who believes you the most.”  He gently kissed her forehead before grabbing hold of the bags. 


Isabelle had been glad Brian had come with her into hiding.  She knew then that if he hadn’t, they would have used him to get to her. 


“Isabelle,” Kevin’s voice startled her.  Her arm shot out from instinct stopping a few inches from his face.  As far as she could tell, he did not flinch.   “Look,” He said moving her arm from in front of him.


She turned her attention to the window and gasped when she saw the train creeping up.   “Pull off the road and as close as you can,” Isabelle rolled down her window and started to climb out and onto the hood of the car.  She would have been surprised at her ability to do this if she had not woken up to her memories.  This was not the first time she’d been on the hood of a speeding car. 


Kevin drove, despite terrain they were driving over he managed to get the car close to the train.  Isabelle looked up and noticed that a city was coming soon.  They wouldn’t have much time for her to make it on. Good thing she knew what she was doing now and had no doubt her ability.  As Kevin approached she crouched on her feet and sprung at the right moment grabbing hold of the hand rail on the outside.  


The force pulled her arm almost pulling it out of her socket.  She managed to grab hold with her other hand to ease the strain on her one arm.  She noticed Kevin speed off back to the road.  He would likely continue following the train. She would find Brian and Megan, stop the train and then she could get Brian and Megan into hiding while she went after the Council to end what they were planning to do.

Chapter End Notes:

Yes, I know, strange! I don't blame you if you stop reading, this story has always been planned this way, crazy crazy.  I hope you do stick with me though. :)