- Text Size +

I felt a drop of cold and sticky liquid hit my nose. Some larger-than-life fan was standing next to me and her ice-cold drink was too close to my face for my liking. I refused to move, I am not a big fan of small talks. Pretending I was still asleep sounded like a good idea. I didn’t have to pretend for long; the hot sun and the light ocean breeze sent me to napville.

I got into a deep deep sleep. It felt awesome. I even dreamed about Jeff (remember him?). In my dream, we were still together, married with 2 kids, big house and a white picket fence. We even had a dog. I was a dentist (go figure…) and Jeff was still working for GSK but he was in Chicago, not in Germany. Life was good.

«Hannah, wake up. Hannah, girl, wake up! Hann! C’mon!» I heard Judy say.

I opened my eyes, Judy was up, drink in hand.

«C’mon, we are going to miss out on the action, we’ve got to move closer to the stage» she said.

«If I stand up, am I going to lose my chair?» I asked, trying to block the sun from my eyes with the back of my hand.

«Most likely» she said.

«Then I am not going anywhere!»

«Hannah, the boys are about to play some game, and I wanna be picked! Don’t make me beg »

«Jude, really? You’re basically dating someone who works for them, you get to be around them plenty»

«Not true. I haven’t officially met all of them»

«Define ‘officially’ ?» I laughed

«You know what I mean. Now will you please get your ass off that chair and follow me» Judy said.

So I grabbed my straw bag and reluctantly followed Judy. She lead me to the corner of the impromptu stage where the boys had gathered. We were next to the stairs and Judy waved to her guy. He came over, asking if we were having a good time and Judy whispered something in his hear and then gave him her best puppy dog eyes and pouty lip. He nodded nonchalantly and then went up the stage. I was happy for her, she was way more into them than I would ever be.

Judy unbuttoned her loose white shirt to reveal a tiny bikini and snaked her way close to Brian. Boy did she look happy. Aj hugged her and Howie shook her hand. The other girls also introduced themselves.

I looked at my iPhone; no Wi-Fi. I was happy in a way, Dr. Keaton (or should I say, Intern Keaton…) would not be able to iMessage me. Wait, let me rephrase that; I would not be able to get his iMessages…Thank you, airplane mode.

Nick came out with a bright orange t-shirt. He looked tired but was still drinking some girlie beverage (ok, anything IN a plastic cup, with a tiny colored straw is a girlie beverage in my book). He scanned the audience and grabbed a mike. My legs gave out and I sat on the first step of the stairs, not wanting sand crabs to pinch my behind.

I opened my straw bag and took out my Fifty Shades of Grey. I know, I know…Don’t judge me, okay? I had read a few pages (Oh, Christian…) when Judy’s man came my way.

«Yo, Hannah! C’mon!» he said, grabbing my arm

«Oh n-no, I’m good here»

«Don’t be silly, c’mon! I’ll even hold on to your bag for you»

«Get someone else, really, I’m good here. I can even sit someplace else if that’s a problem» I informed him. I was NOT going on that stage.

«Look, even AJ is wanting you on that stage» he said, AJ standing next to him, holding out his hand my way.

«Hey, camera girl! Come play with us» Aj said.

I grabbed his hand, knowing I’d regret it. Judy’s guy kept my straw bag (which he’d better take good care of, it’s a f*cking Burberry, thank you very much)and I climbed up on stage. Aj had his hand on my lower back and took me to where Judy was.

«Oh my God Hannah! That’s fucking awesome!! We’re going to be on everybody’s pictures. See those girls?! They SO want to be us right now!» Judy said, fanning herself.

«Great, I’m going to be on YouTube thanks to you»

«C’mon, could you please look like you’re having fun? »

«I am having fun Judy. I am a private person, you know me!» I said

Judy flashed her pearly whites and told me to remove my tank top. My bikini wasn’t as skimpy as Judy’s, so I didn’t mind taking what I had on. Nick kept trying to make eye contact with me but I wouldn’t let him. They informed us we would be playing Twister. Great.
Judy was the first one to play. I was the last one. Of course, all the easy body part/color spots were taken so I had no choice but to scoot over to Nick. He didn’t look at me nor did he try to make small talk.

The first five minutes were rather difficult. There were too many of us and not enough spots. We lost the first two players within minutes. Then Judy slipped and fell, and I followed. We watched the remaining players and Nick, the only boy left. AJ came over to us and asked us a few questions, you know, the usual where/when/what/why. Nick kept looking our way, but I ignored him. When the game was over, we all hugged one another and exchanged a few ‘thank yous’ and most of the girls left. Judy was holding my hand and gave a quick peck on her guy’s cheek. Nick was heading dangerously close to where we were standing and I tried to let go of Judy’s hand but of course, she wouldn’t let me.

«I get to have your phone number now» Nick whispered in my ear.

I looked at him and mouthed ‘no’ and smiled. He hugged me (like he had everybody else) then hugged Judy . His left hand brushed through his hair, his eyes never leaving mine and he yawned.

«I can see your piercing» he whispered, his hair softly brushing against my cheek. I crossed my arm over my chest, suddenly feeling self-conscious. He grinned. Some beefy guy gave him another drink, which he accepted gladly. «It’s diet Sprite» Nick said, winking.

«Alright ladies, thank you for playing!» we heard through the speaker and we were escorted out. Judy got my bag from her man and we went back to our ‘area’. I went through my stuff and noticed my novel was missing. «Crap» I said. Judy questioned my sudden mood change and I went back towards the stage. I told Judy to stay where she was, that I had to get something I had left behind. When Judy’s guy finally saw me standing there, he came to the side of the stage and bent down.

«Everything alright Hannah?» he asked me

«My book –em, novel. You have it» I informed him.

«Oh, right. Hold on, I gave it to AJ. I’ll be right back» he said.

I looked up and saw AJ holding my book, reading the summary on the cover. Nick was next to him, whispering something that made him laugh. AJ turned around, so I couldn’t see what he was doing and Nick followed him. Great. Then, Judy’s man went over to them and must of said something funny because they both started laughing hysterically. They both looked my way and laughed some more. Great. Effin’ great. I waved shyly and they laughed some more.

I knew I should have left that book at home!