- Text Size +

Gambling HIS money away. He didn’t sound too happy about it. Not because it was HIS money, but because she wasn’t being seen with him. Or so I assumed.


It was now 5:47 am and it was starting to be pretty quiet in the halls. Most of the girls had  gone back to their cabins and it had been nearly an hour since the last footsteps in the hallway. I was facing the windows, in case you’re wondering. Unless someone walked in the restaurant, they wouldn’t see Nick and his blonde-mess-of-hair.


I hadn’t heard from Judy. Well, I couldn’t really. I had learned my lesson last year: my phone bill from the last cruise went up in the two hundreds…for 4 days. This time around, I turned off most of my apps and the 3G thingie and the data instant upload. Judy hadn’t called but I knew where she was; in our cabin with her guy. Or maybe his cabin…


«Where on earth did you get a Swatch Watch? I never realised they were still around» Nick said.


«Actually, it’s the one I used to have as a teenager». I replied


Considering it was pretty late (or early…) conversation had run dry. Small talk can only go so far, right?


«Aight. I gotta get up in 2 hours» he said.


I grabbed my purse and stood up. This was my cue. I needed to head back and try to sleep a little because I had a shuttle to catch to get to the beach party. I had promised Judy I would take pictures. Then I realised my sunglasses would be my best friend.


«Thank you Hannah. I’m glad you stayed. I owe you one» he said, while attempting to slide off the booth. He stood up and gave me a quick hug.


«Duck!» I yelled


«Huh? Where-»


«Nick! Sit» I said, pushing him so he’d sit. «There’s 2 girls, right there. Hold on. I’ll be right back».


«Shit» he sighed.


«I got it». I went to the door, turned the lock and opened it halfway . The first girl, drunk off her ass, asked me if we were open. I looked at her with my best ‘You-think-I-work-here’ face, but then realized that I had no other choice than to say yes. «huh, we’re opening in 15 minutes». Pissed off, that’s what she was (and in desperate need of caffeine). And they left. Thank God. I locked the door, grabbed Nick by the arm and told him he needed to leave. He had 15 minutes.


«Alright, I’m two floors down. Let’s go». He said.


«What? »


«Let’s go. I got your purse, now let’s go».


Nick waved at the manager and they exchanged something that looked like a nod. We headed out and ran to the elevators, tiptoeing. I’m sure it was funny to watch. He pressed his floor number but never asked for mine. What the hell?


We both leaned against the wall. Quit Playin’ Games was playing, elevator style. Nick looked up, noticed the mirrored ceiling and grinned.


«Thanks again. Still pissed, but ya know…»


«Hey, I do this all the time. (Pause). When a patient is diagnosed with cancer, I usually am the only other person in the room. They’re pretty quiet at first, but then, they start talking. Funny how a 10 minute frame provides so much information about a person’s life. Kids, wife, pets, jobs, debts, hopes, fears. Telling a man the age of your dad he’s got cancer is not my favorite part of the job!» I shared.


Chuckling, Nick said «And we all know what your favorite part is».


«What? No! Come on! »


Nick couldn’t stop laughing. I was tired to I started laughing too. He looked at me for a few seconds and the doors opened. I got out first, strenching out  my arm as if I was protecting a little kid.


«Wait here. Ok…It’s safe. What number are you?» I told him.


«Third door to your right, next to the flower pot» He informed me.


«Alright, coast clear. Go!»


«You’re coming with me». Nick grabbed my arm (yes, he was still holding my purse) and we ran to his door. He got his room card, slid it in and opened it. He pulled me in, kicked his shoes off and flicked the lights on.


«Ok, that was fun and everything, but I gotta go now». I said.


«She’s not here» Nick looked around.


«Oh I see…Nick, just so you know, I’m not- »


«She’s not here. She’s really pissed at me. Yeah, pissed…» Nick sat on the corner of his bed.


Ok. I felt stupid now. I thought he wanted to, well, you know. I’m glad he cut me mid-sentence. I would have made a fool of myself. What was I supposed to do now, comfort him? Heck no.


«Nick…huh…listen. Maybe she’s next door, in the little suite. Text her, I’m sure her phone is on. Maybe she just got tired of waiting for you to come back. Maybe-


«She’s probably staying with Jenn. Or Stacy. She does that on tour, if she’s mad at me. Or gets a room of her own…And in what, 4 hours, she’ll be glued to my ass backstage while I get ready to hit the stage on the beach. All for the cameras».


«Ok…» I didn’t know what to say


«I would kill for a cigarette. Got any?»


«No, I don’t. I don’t smoke Nick, I’m a doctor!»


«Right. I don’t suppose you have some stuff either…» he asked with an eyebrow raised


«I don’t do that stuff either. Sorry»


«Damn. And I’m out of booze» he added.


I sat on the floor, playing with my mesh skirt, wondering if now would be a good time to say good night to him. He moved off the bed and sat on the floor in front of me. Dangerously close.


«Nick, I should go now. You have a party to host, and I have a party to attend in a few hours» I said while looking at my watch.


«Fuck it. Stay. We could play Angry Bird on our iPhones?»


«Haha, right. No. As tempting as it sounds, I better get going. I have to take a shower and get ready for an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G beach party.


«Alright, I won’t keep you where you don’t wanna be. But wait. Before you get up, can I ask you one thing?»


«Yeah, sure. But I must warn you, it’d better not be anything related to my job mister»


«Ha, no, don’t worry» Nick said


«Ok, then what?»


«Can I kiss you Hannah?» he asked, his eyes never leaving mine


«Huh, not was I was expecting» I said, puzzled.


«So? Can I?»


I turned my head so he’d give me a kiss on my right cheek. His two hands grabbed my face on either side, his thumbs playing with my ear lobe while his fingers were massaging my head. His face approached mine with confidence. «Nice try Hannah» he whispered, his lips a few millimeters from mine. I was screwed. Couldn’t say no. Besides, I don’t think I wanted to say no. His lips brushed against mine, in the softest of kisses. His breathing was heavy, his nose nudging with mine. His lips were full, swollen with blood. It felt awesome. He lightly sucked on my bottom lip and I smiled into the kiss.  I felt like I couldn’t keep up even if he was being extra gentle. He tilted my head so I would open my mouth slightly. His tongue was warm and was playing with mine. My hands found his hair and the back of his neck. I had goose bumps on my arms,  I’m sure he felt it. He had me moaning like crazy when he nibbled on my bottom lip. Oh God.


Light-headed? Yes, I guess you could say I was…